7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Airbag Light On

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about
Airbag Light On

Hwy guys I have an 04 Coupe EX. Its got 90k on it and bought it with 87 a few months back. Flushed tranny and oil as it desperately needed it and it came with a few dents so the previous owner didn't seem to take too much care of it. Anyway the airbag light came on a few days ago, and the videos online on how to reset it don't seem to work. Any help on how to remove this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 08-31-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Airbag Light On

Plug in a diagnostic tool/code reader and see if it's throwing a code. The code will tell you what part of the system the problem is in. You can try resetting with the diagnostic tool too.

Last edited by lazlong; 08-31-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-31-2010
Person

lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

Any specific diagnosis tool or would an OBDII scanner work for this? I have one that I bought for my oxygen sensor issue
Old 08-31-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about

if you cannot reset it, it could be a seat belt problem. if there is something wrong with the seatbelt sensor, the SRS light will illuminate. this is a common issue with hondas designed around the 2000s. i had mine fixed by the dealer twice. once at 20k then again at 115k. Honda will repair it for free if its a seat belt sensor problem regardless of mileage. you could always check fuses too. thats usually the first thing i check if any weird electrically related warning lights pop up.
Old 08-31-2010
Pistol grip pump in my lap at all times

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

Thats what happened to my wifes 2000 accord! Seatbelt sensor. Free fix at dealer!
Old 08-31-2010
Registered!!

FRCornelis is an unknown quantity at this point

Correct, it happened to my 03 LX. The OBDII reader (unless you get a very, very, and very expensive one) will not give you any info about airbag.

Your problem is (99.999999%) sure, your driver's seat buclke. It's got a sensor inside and it's a very common issue for hondas these days. I was going to fix it my self, buying the seatbelt buckle myself, I almost did, but NOooo..
take it to any honda delar, your seat belts system has a lifetime warranty, regardless miles and owners.
They replaced my seat belt buckle for 100% free a few months ago and the SRS light did not come again.

They will try to scare you saying that if the problem is not related to the seat belt system, they will charge you like 80$ for diags, but, don't let that stop you, it will be free. It will take a couple of hrs, and you better get an appointment, cause they have to remove the seat.
Just take it and call the day.

FRC.-
Old 08-31-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by FRCornelis
The OBDII reader (unless you get a very, very, and very expensive one) will not give you any info about airbag.
My $150 pegasys does it just fine. How much do you think is expensive?
Old 08-31-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
ooh.. well. I'm glad that yours worked out. I was actually talking from my own experience, I've got one a couple of years ago from Pepboys, paid like 199.99$ and did not give me any code at all when I had my seat belt sensor fail. When I wanted to find out at Pepboys they said that SRS codes are not detectable with regular scanners, that takes a more expensive one, like 600$ in order to have the SRS related code...
Maybe I was being B/S... 150$ is not a lot of money (very expensive) for my taste, but 600$... I would think it twice for a scanner that I don't use very often. I'm just talking from what that guy told me and my experience not getting any code... may be is my scanner, or I didn't know how to use it well... :S

But I'm sure, his problem is that #@#$ sensor on the drivers's seat belt buckle.

Regards,
FRC.-
Old 08-31-2010
Registered!!

Ouch. Sorry to hear about that. I bet your right about the seat belt tho.
Old 08-31-2010
Registered!!

Ouch. Sorry to hear about that. I bet your right about the seat belt tho.
yah... thanx man... I know.. it was just my scanner, just think... if one person out of 1 thousand dies on a simple appendix surgery... I will be that one....

it always has and it always be that way...
Old 08-31-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

?!?
That's the first one i heard that can read SRS/airbag codes at that price. Mine for example cannot read them... I had the dealer read and it was one of my SRS modules that died... 700 with install and calibration of the module?
Do you still have the link?
Or better, is this the link? This one is called Pegasus, but pegasys did return some odd stuff...
http://www.etoolcart.com/obdbook-obd...o-scanner.aspx
I also found this one while i was looking for yours.
http://www.obdtoolstore.com/shop/pro...72467663c75f63

Last edited by sdaidoji; 08-31-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-31-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Lazlong, if they work, you are everyone's hero!
I reposted here, so it might get in the sticky if it can really do the job.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...i-codes-2.html

Last edited by sdaidoji; 08-31-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2010
Person

Took the car in yesterday. They read and cleared the code and it cost 70$. I'm still feeling it. haha But they said it may be a bad control module. Thats gonna be an expensive fix, if it comes back. The code they read was 7542h-4rxhx. Any ideas fellas?
Old 09-18-2010
Broken Arm, How Am I Suppost To Shift
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

down_ should not be trusteddown_ should not be trusteddown_ should not be trusted

Originally Posted by lollygagger
Took the car in yesterday. They read and cleared the code and it cost 70$. I'm still feeling it. haha But they said it may be a bad control module. Thats gonna be an expensive fix, if it comes back. The code they read was 7542h-4rxhx. Any ideas fellas?
Wish I saw this earlier : SRS Airbag light can be reset in 5 seconds. And for $5.00 (if you want to buy the jumper Honda uses). Normally its caused when the SRS wires under your seats loosen (or if you disconnect the SRS wires without first disconnecting the battery.

Look for the fuse relays under the steering column on the driver side.
You will notice a Yellow "Plug" with 2 Wires running into it. This is the SRS Airbag Relay.

1. With the Car in the Off position unplug this "Plug" and Insert your jumper wire into the Male end, (the Yellow portion with the wires).

2. Turn the Car to the On Position (Do not START the car). The SRS Light will turn Off after 2 seconds.

3. As soon as the light turns off, Remove the Jumper wire, the SRS Light will Come Back on.

4. Once back On, Re attach your jumper wire, the light will turn off

5. Remove the Wire, and the SRS Light will flash 2 Times and Turn off.

This Process Resets the SRS System. (if no errors are found and the system is good. the light will stay off)

Heres a picture of the SRS Relay and the Jumper Honda sells.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0062.jpg
Views:	2261
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	79269  
Old 09-18-2010
Person

Is this the same as the paper clip trick I've seen floating around the web? If so, I've tried it with no luck
Old 09-18-2010
Broken Arm, How Am I Suppost To Shift
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

down_ should not be trusteddown_ should not be trusteddown_ should not be trusted

Dont use a paper clip. For Multiple reasons.
The first being your just grounding out the wire when you hold the paper clip, not to mention alot of other voltage problems.

Use 12g wire. Same Idea; Cut about an Inch of wire; strip both sides; insert one end into one side of the male end of the plug and use the other to Connect and Disconnect the other.( Your pretty much just making the Honda jumper)

It should work; this is how i fixed it the first time. You need to watch the timing on the SRS light. if you dont get the connection together in roughly 3 seconds. It wont work. And you'll have to start over. If I get a chance i'll take video of it and upload it to youtube.
Old 09-18-2010
Person

Thanks a bunch man. I appreciate it! Will definitely try this the next time if the light pops up again.
Old 09-19-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Just be careful when you raise your seat up. Make sure it doesnt slam up real quick this can cause the srs light to come on to. Its kinda like when the wires come loose and it throws it like down said. My buddies 02 ep3 has the 04 ep3 srs seats in it and connected and whenever he slams his seat forward it pops up. Just make sure the wires are good and snug after you do what was said above.
Old 09-25-2010
Person

Light came back. Used this trick. So as I see it, the light will return again? Anyway it worked and I appreciate the tip down_!
Old 09-25-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

My airbag light just came on randomly after grocery shopping yesterday too, after putting on my seat belt
Will get it read by my mechanic and see if i should deal with honda, i aint paying them a cent!
Old 09-26-2010
Person

Yea. I know i have an issue with my system, but I don't feel like paying for a $600 module that really shouldn't fail....EVER!
Old 09-26-2010
Registered!!

Yea. I know i have an issue with my system, but I don't feel like paying for a $600 module that really shouldn't fail....EVER!
www.car-part.com

$75-$150 in your area.
Old 09-26-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
My airbag light just came on randomly after grocery shopping yesterday too, after putting on my seat belt
Will get it read by my mechanic and see if i should deal with honda, i aint paying them a cent!
we don't really know if they do read them, but there are some links in here for scanners that claim to read SRS.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...i-codes-2.html
Old 09-26-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

mine secondary module died on me...
had to get one...
Old 09-26-2010
Person

www.car-part.com

$75-$150 in your area.
How do you know which part I need? I wouldn't be able to install myself would I?
Old 09-26-2010
Registered!!

You only have one SRS module. It's under air-bag control module. Hell yeah you can change it yourself.
Old 09-26-2010
Person

Haha alright, maybe one day before it gets cold up here. Much rather spend $150 than give Honda $600. I have the full manual that's been floating around here so should that help?
Old 09-26-2010
Registered!!

I have the full manual that's been floating around here so should that help?
Yeah, it's in the SRS section.

edit: You'll need a Torx driver too.

Last edited by lazlong; 09-26-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2010
Registered!!

Haha alright, maybe one day before it gets cold up here.
Ha! I've lived in Texas so long now that when it gets below 80 I get chills. lol
Old 09-27-2010
Person

edit: You'll need a Torx driver too.
lol i've got plenty of those. My dad's a packrat so I've got doubles of pretty much every tool.

Quick Reply: Airbag Light On