7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2005 Civic air conditioner issues

Old 08-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TManiac is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Civic air conditioner issues

Hi all-
Glad I found a place online to ask questions about my car, hopefully you guys can help me out.

I live out in southern CA and lately temps have been hitting up 110 degrees so my serious lack of a decent air-conditioner has made my commute absolutely miserable.
It takes about 15-20 minutes of driving with the engine revs above 2500 to even start feeling cool. If I'm stuck in traffic the AC never cools down.
Ive got about 110,000 miles on my civic and as far as I know the AC has never been serviced. Also the fan is really s****y. When its going full blast I can barely feel the air blowing on me.
So I have a few questions-
-Does anyone else have similar issues with their '05 civics?
-Will recharging the system help much? (I don't want to go spend $90 and not have any significant improvements)

Any advice would be much appreciated

-TManiac
Old 08-26-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2005 Civic air conditioner issues

have you tried changing the cabin filters behind the glove box? sounds like you have an air flow issue. if the blower is loud like it should be at full power, then the filters are clogged. should be changed every year max. most a/c systems will not help much in hot weather when the car is already warm to start with. does the air feel at least a little cold to the touch? or is it warm like no a/c. also if you turn the recirc air button on, it will blow harder.
Old 08-26-2010
Registered!!

The air does feel cold to the touch. It just takes a while for it to get to a comfortable temperature.
I didn't even think about the cabin filters. That definitely makes sense. I doubt they have been replaced in the 5 or 6 years this car has been on the road.

Thanks for the advice! First chance I get I will definitely replace the filter. Even if thats not the issue it probably needs to be done anyway.

-TManiac
Old 08-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Yeah, cabin filters. Went about 50K before I change mine the last time and it was like a whole new system. Also found a mummified gecko too. lol
Old 08-27-2010
Registered!!

Changed the cabin air filters today. They cost 20 bucks and took like 3 minutes to change. The old filters had about a quarter inch of dirt/bugs/dry leaves and other crap in between the filter element.
Ive never felt the air blow this hard before so it was definitely worth it. The a/c is still weak though. I'll get it recharged one day. Thanks for the help
Old 09-20-2010
Registered!!

johny2392 is an unknown quantity at this point

pardon me but can someone tell me where is this cabin filter located in 05 civic?
My AC is pretty much OK but i have no idea about this cabin filter thing.
Old 09-20-2010
Registered!!

Camden is an unknown quantity at this point

I know on the 04 civic the cabin filter is located behind the glove box. You remove your glove box (quite easy) and there should be plastic slider cover. You slide them and just pull them out. It's quite easy.
Old 09-20-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Camden
I know on the 04 civic the cabin filter is located behind the glove box. You remove your glove box (quite easy) and there should be plastic slider cover. You slide them and just pull them out. It's quite easy.
My finger is on the cover lever:
Name:  cabinfilters.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  55.2 KB
Old 09-12-2014
Registered!!

redge3sa is an unknown quantity at this point

need help with my 2005 civic hatchback, my a/c just stopped working. and the pump doesn't sound like its turning on. what can I do to troubleshoot issue?