7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

hid issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicbyrc is an unknown quantity at this point
hid issue

So I installed some hids in my civic and there isn't really a cut off like there was before, there is a line but there is also alot of light above were the cut of is. My scion tc didn't have this issue. Is this commin on the civic?
Old 08-14-2010
Registered!!

Re: hid issue

I read in another thread that the defuser wouldn't effect the beam so would blacking the reflector help with he height of the beam? I like the way the lights work but there is too much light above where the cut of is. Right now I just adjusted the beam down. Maybe I need a different head light?
Old 08-14-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

that is just how the 01-03 reflectors were designed. also with h4 hid kit, you must have a glare sheild on the bottom half of the bulb, because the h4 halogen bulb is the only size that has the shield built into the bulb covering the bottom of the filament. all other bulb size are fine without a shield because the reflector optics are built for it. so try a kit with glare shield, or start over with a pair of casper shields that convert oem d2s bulbs to the h4 housing. that way you can have reliable bulbs and ballasts and a better cutoff with less glare. there will always be some glare ofcourse since halogen housing was never meant for hids.
Old 08-15-2010
Registered!!

02CivicKing is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard this term "glare" used quite often, can anyone please clarify this for me? Yes I know what a glare is but is it really that bad? I mean guys around here have yellow headlights for christ sakes, I just look at the white line if someone comes at me with some annoying headlights!
Old 08-15-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

glare is just stray light above the cutoff line that should not be there. all halogen reflectors are designed to throw up a small amount so you can see road signs, but if you use an hid kit in there, you will have 3 times the legal limit of glare. in some cars, its so bad that it looks like the hi beam is on.
Old 08-15-2010
Registered!!

I got the kit from Hidextra so I went to the website and I saw that there is a h4 bi-xenon bulb that has the shied on it. The one I got is a hi/ low bulb. I waiting on a response to my email to find out if I can exchange them out.
Old 08-15-2010
Premium Member

heres an idea what it will look like with shield. my old catz h4 hid kit in 02 civic reflector. there is still some glare, but i never got flashed even once while driving.

Name:  oldcatzcutoff.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  17.2 KB

Name:  catzhidgroundshot.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  16.5 KB
Old 08-16-2010
Registered!!

saw the capers electronics shield. The problem is the high beam bulb is in the way of that working. I would have to rip off the high beam for the shield to work. I'm going to try and fab up my own and see how that pans out.
Old 08-20-2010
Premium Member

yeah casper shield only works for lo beam setup. catz used to sell a really good dual lo/hi kit with shield and controler but it cost $650 and very hard to find these days.
Old 08-20-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

there is some more info here in this older thread, i also posted up a picture that you can still see of the type of bulb youre looking for.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...m-01-03-a.html
Old 08-22-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the tips guys. I found some bulbs with the shield on them like untuned has. They were only $29 for just the bulb and I email'd just to make sure that it came with the shield. We'll see how they turn out.
Old 08-22-2010
Registered!!

How did that header work out for you, untuned. Power and fuel go up at all