7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

about to set this thing on fire... trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lou2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
about to set this thing on fire... trans issue

ok so i recently had a slippage issue with my civic ... 01 lx sedan.... took it to a reputible shop * A+ rating from BBB* they replaced what needed to be replaced internally and its still not shifting properly... theyve checked each part to make sure they all individually work, and even sent some parts back to honda just to make sure for replacement... im keeping everything honda parts... so any ideas what the hell could be causing it to still misshift with a completely rebuilt trans
Old 07-31-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: about to set this thing on fire... trans issue

any engine codes? what exactly is the problem, does it not go into gear at all, or makes are noises? im not good with clutch stuff but maybe someone else can help if you describe the problem a bit better.
Old 08-01-2010
Registered!!

the problem that i know of is that its shifting hard to the point its jerking. Its currently at a trans shop, and the mech said that he originally thought it was the valve body but after replacing that a second time its still shifting hard and sometimes misshifts. Everything in the trans has been replaced except for the gears themselves since the tech said the gears were still solid. No engine codes have come up. He didnt tell me if it was making noise still.. i would think not since everything to include the torque conv was changed out. Also its an auto trans.

also everything ws replaced with honda parts because i wanted to make sure everything worked and fit correctly.

final edit.. i recently had the TDC replaced because it failed on me while driving and i limped the vehicle to a shop to have it replaced...being that i live in fl and down here stealing civics is like breathing air... i didnt want to leave it on the side of the road for long... could it be that limping it to the shop indirectly caused the issue with the trans.

Last edited by Lou2010; 08-01-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-01-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

an auto trans okay. make sure he is using the honda Z1 atf fluid, otherwise you will have hard shifting. but i think its something different. did the car drive fine after replacing the tdc but before the trans was rebuilt? these 01-05 auto trans are very poorly built and usually the thing that goes out first is the 2ndary clutch pack and internal filter. can also cause the pump to go bad.
Old 08-01-2010
Registered!!

the trans had been slowly slipping before the TDC went out on me.. but unfortunately i didnt have the money to get the tdc and the trans fixed at the same time so i had just gotten the tdc done so i wouldnt be stuck doing only 20 mph ... hes definitely using honda fluid.. i went out and bought it myself from a dealership and watched him put it in... to my knowledge every except for the gears have been replaced ... it was almost a total rebuild... well spoke to him earlier and theyre going to throw another trans on it that he has so i can get that thing back on the road for work... and hes gonna keep on working on the trans until he gets it fixed.... the other trans is also a rebuild and will also come with a 2 yr 24000 mile warranty ... im just hoping it doesnt give him probs aswell when he road tests it on monday... renting cars is getting expensive and old .... its a shame honda KNEW about this problem and basically said **** the consumer... i doubt there will ever be another honda in my drive way after this nightmare
Old 08-01-2010
Premium Member

yeah its unfortunate after year 2000 all the civics quality went way down. hopefully he can get it fixed up. some say the 04-05 auto trans has the defect fixed, so you may want to look into getting one of those to swap in. but im not positive about that.
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

update....
well the trans guys still havent been able to fix it so theyre giving me a brand new trans to use for now while they work on mine.... i gotta say these guys are all about customer service.. i cant think of another shop that would say.... hey we cant fix it right yet so heres a new trans and use this till we fix yours....also the new trans works like a charm
Old 08-03-2010
Premium Member

just talk them into keeping the new one lol. but thats good news, at least it something related to the trans thats the problem,they just need to find what it is.
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

01civiclx94 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'M starting to have the exact problem... i have an 01 LX coupe AUTO and its only my first gear that is doing it though. If i slowly ease on it will be ok but if i hit the accelerator a lil hard it slips and stutters. I can feel the car hesitate. I'm not exactly sure what is causing it just yet thoughhttps://www.civicforums.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif.
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

gearbox... man if they let me keep this new trans and i get to keep the same 2 yr warranty i paid for the rebuild... ill name my next kid after their business lol

01civic... you might want to take it in as soon as possible.. i was having that exact prob until it started happening to 2nd gear aswell... turned out the torque converter had self destructed and threw up all over the rest of the trans internally... and you can see the headache i just went through..

also if you take it to a shop.. make sure you get em checked out before hand... the first shop i took it to... i see why they had a D- rating for the BBB.... and why the shop that just repaired it has a A+ rating... im great with engine work but knew nothing about trans so i was forced to take it into a shop

Last edited by Lou2010; 08-04-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-08-2010
Registered!!

01civiclx94 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking about doing a drain and fill for the ATF... of course using the Honda Z1 fluid and maybe also changing the filter. I'm kinda on a budget and i heard this might work
Old 08-17-2010
Registered!!

civic.. well the filter is internal so you'd have to rip open the trans regardless.. we have the same civic with the same trans so i'm basing it off that.. the drain and fill might work and the tc might not be shot to ****.. but after a drain and fill if its still doing the same thing i honestly think you should take it in to get checked.. i let it slide for a while and when the tc went and threw up metal shards all over the gears it ended up being a lot worse than it could have been.. i was lucky and the shop i went to gave me a whole new trans for what i paid for the rebuild instead of the 3800 honda wanted to charge me JUST FOR the trans.. not including labor to put it on.. and a 2 yr 24K warranty... as i said before .. if you're in the central fl /orlando area.. shoot me a pm and ill give you the info to that shop
Old 08-25-2010
Registered!!

mickjen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi , I have been there. 2001 to 2004 on all automatic civics had terrible time with there transmissions.

First never use anything less than Honda transmission fluid or you might be rebuilding the trans. all over.

I rebuilt my daughter's 2002 civic ex when it had 133k miles on it.

First step was to record any codes on it. Tore it apart and replaced all seals ,clutches and gaskets. Replaced the torque convertor and made sure to install new seal on end of convertor. Make sure change the filter ,its in center of the case.
It worked perfectly , and its been shifting good ever since.Make sure they did use Honda Fluid or you will never leave that shop.

Mick