7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

interior door panel repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicbyrc is an unknown quantity at this point
interior door panel repair

So this summer I'm going to try and fix the interior panels in my wife's civic sedan. The fabric part of the panels has become undone from the door. My question is, should I take the panels off completly and disassemble them to reattach the fabric with some 3m spray adhesive or can I glue the fabric on with the panel attached with some cement glue? Did a search and couldn't find anything related to this.
Old 07-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: interior door panel repair

i believe that the panal is one molded piece so just keep it on thats what most people do buy it would make it easier if you remove it here is a DIY.

http://www.***********.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6500
sorry looks like they block other honda forums.

Last edited by lowlife9; 07-26-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-26-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

7thgenhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6500
Old 07-27-2010
Registered!!

Psykotik_913 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: interior door panel repair

I recently had to do the same thing in my '05 coupe. 3M spray adhesive is what the dealership techs recommended to me (you can get it at autozone, etc) the advantage of taking it OUT of the car is just more maneuverability and not getting pissed when you're hunched over sitting on concrete... I can give you a play by play on what to do too.

Tools:
*Adhesive remover
*Bondo spreaders (for smoothing and tucking)
*Mild sand paper
*3M spray adhesive
*Surface cleaner

Name:  totalprep.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  4.3 KBName:  BondoSpreaders2.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  4.5 KBName:  sprayadhesive2.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  4.5 KB
1) Remove as much fabric as you need/want from the area i.e. redoing ALL of it, or just the part that's loose. Just remember the placement of the fabric , even small tweaks can make folds and stuff.

2)Use the adhesive remover to get rid of all the old crap that's on there.

3)Grab a little bit of sandpaper and scuff the area- don't get carried away, its just b/c glues stick to rough surfaces better than smooth slick ones.

4)Use the Total Prep cleaner to clean the surface. LET IT DRY FOR A WHILE! Otherwise the chemicals in the cleaner can mess up your adhesive.

5)I just used some masking tape and old newspaper to mask off the area, then use the adhesive spray-light coats only, otherwise you'll have knots of crap under your fabric.

6)Let the adhesive get tacky i.e. it leaves strings when you lay & pull the fabric up.

7)Lay the fabric back over the area and GENTLY start smoothing it (center->out) towards the edges. If you press too hard, then the adhesive is most likely going to bunch up, or get pushed through the backing on the fabric.

8)Then just use the spreader to push the ends of the fabric into the channels around the area. (If not using plastic spreader, be cautious of cutting into the panel)

After all of this i just put the panels back in and there weren't any worries.. You might leave them out though, or follow the drying directions on the adhesive can.. Hope this helps!
Old 07-28-2010
Registered!!

civicbyrc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Psykotik_913 that was very helpful. A bondo spreader didn't even cross my mind, that would be handy to tuck it into the seams.
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

Psykotik_913 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civicbyrc
Thanks Psykotik_913 that was very helpful. A bondo spreader didn't even cross my mind, that would be handy to tuck it into the seams.
np