7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Inquiry on 02 Civic cheap feel as well as other various problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rhymeboy89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Inquiry on 02 Civic cheap feel as well as other various problems

Hey everyone,
I am honestly getting very feed up with the ride of my car. Lots of creeking and driving over bumps feel ridiculously hard. I already discussed the ride feel on this forum and with my mechanic for which they both tell me the ride i get is normal. I still don't like the feel but ive come to accept it.

The problem now is my doors feel really cheap and light when i close them. And theres a lot of creeking coming from inside the cabin which I've never experienced before in other cars. I know a lot of people on here really care for these cars and i love the styling of it but wonder if you guys have the same cheap feel while driving or what you did to fix it.

Just for general information I am riding on tokico blues with a 2 inch drop. Would putting coilovers like teins or w.e really change my ride so much where it would feel comfortable?

Lastly, does anyone know how much it cost to put a 04 civic auto or manual into a 02 civic auto would cost? My trannys going and my check engine light has been on so just seeing the cost of it.

Thank you
Old 07-20-2010
HLC
Registered!!

HLC is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Inquiry on 02 Civic cheap feel as well as other various problems

you're complaining about the ride and yet you're dropped 2 inches? i have stock suspension and it rides just fine even with 17" rims and a 40 profile tire. of course it's going to ride rough when you're dropped 2 inches. stop complaining. you can swap the transmissions. last person i know that did it over on the 7th gen honda forum was about 1100$ i think. all work done by himself and friends.

anyway about the doors feeling "cheap" or "light". what were you expecting? it's not a bmw or a mercedes, of course the doors are going to be light. the whole car is light.

i think that answers most of it.
Old 07-21-2010
Registered!!

Well I am not expecting a bmw feel. But my old 95 accord's door did not feel this cheap when closing it. I am not expecting to have the most comfortable feel in the car but at least when I go over dont feel like it is going to fall apart. Now the people that drop k20a2 do you just live with it or have u fixed it? Because a k20a2 drop is almost the price of a new car.
Old 07-21-2010
Registered!!

grendel has a spectacular aura aboutgrendel has a spectacular aura about

Civics are just cheap cars, man. I don't know how long you've had yours, but the car is the same as when you bought it.
Sounds like your preferences/expectations are what's different now.
Old 07-21-2010
HLC
Registered!!

the reason is because you are dropped 2" with stiffer shocks. thats why it feels like that. put the stock suspension back on and it'll feel fine. and the accord felt better or w/e with the doors because it is one step up from the civic, a bit more expensive and a fair amount heavier.
Old 07-21-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Like HLC said your ride is hard is because you are dropped 2 inches. What did you think when you dropped it that low it was going to ride better.
Old 07-21-2010
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

what does it matter how a car feels when u close the door... and the creaking is prob bad bushings that just need to be replaced and its a rough ride cuz ur dropped 2 inches oh and what size rims/ tires u on cuz that makes a hugh difference to
Old 07-23-2010
Registered!!

Well I have 17 inch rims on. I bought the car used so I don't know how the car felt new but when the door closes it feels like somethings not padding it. However, if what you guys are saying is true then theres nothing I can do its just the car. The reason i brought up my old accord is because that car is 7 years older. I guess civics are just always built lighter but I would hope a 7 year younger civic would have a better feel then a 7 year older accord.

Guess not so I did learn something today. I'm a noob to the tuner or for me at the moment "ricer" scene so I haven't ridin' in anyone elses car that was dropped.

Hope you guys don't take this as rude but my issue now is getting this check engine light off so I can hopefully sell the car. Now I brought it to a mechanic(not a dealer or anyone very prestigous) and the he said it was related to the transmission which I can feel and smell. He said if I replace all 4 of the solenoids for each gear it might fix it. Now my question is: is this possibly true? Is it false and I'd have to change the whole transmission? And is it worth it to change the transmission if I have to to sell it or just junk it and use the 1-2k for the tranny to car down payments or something? Just some small info my car has 130xxx miles on it so maybe get like 5k for it i think correct me if im wrong.

Thx for all your info. Kind of sad that my civic isn't really built how I hoped it would have been built because I really like the styling of it and have since I was like a kid.
Old 07-23-2010
HLC
Registered!!

its usually the torque converter, i believe, with the autos and from what i hear, you'd have to replace the whole transmission.

btw, you cant compare an accord and a civic. its like comparing a mercedes c class to an e class. just no comparison.
Old 07-23-2010
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

change the suspension back too stock and get smaller rims with bigger tires and ur car will ride a lot smoother
Old 07-27-2010
Registered!!

Not like it matters but I am a little happier about my car again. My door had a problem with getting stuck so it was a little hard to get out of. So i went to a body shop and he just lifted the door so it could open and close easily. Now that also solved my problem of the cheap feel i was getting. So it wasn't the cars build that made it feel so cheap as it was a door that was out of alignment