few questions for some of the more senior members - Honda Civic Forum

7th Generation Civic In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic. Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2010   #1
Registered!!

seoul4korea can only hope to improve
few questions for some of the more senior members

some of you might know that my civic is just my DD and that my project car is actually my supra.

Now being that the "PCM" of my 05 Civic LX doesn't like change I want to increase MPG as best as I can. 04-05 do come with widebands and such and I already get 37 mpg freeway but I want to do better if I can.

Now the area that I talking about is ignition. Because of EFI and the use of a wideband/ MAP with the D17 Air/fuel ratio's are good on these cars (PCM metering that is) they say 1/3 of of combustion is used, 1/3 is wasted and that last of it is never combusted. I want to increase my ignition to harness the rest of that unused fuel. Besides spark plugs does anyone have any idea's? I have brand new factory coil packs.
seoul4korea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #2
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: few questions for some of the more senior members

-www.lubecontrol.com additives will give you a few mpg more

-denso iridium plugs

-lose some weight, remove stuff you dont use, lighter rims, etc

-our ignition system is already very good. i had an idea to build a new relay harness for each coil pack power wire to feed it directly from the battery, but i never got around to it. the idea being give the coil a full 14.2v whatever the alternator puts out instead of the 13.9v that it gets from the thin factory wires. that would make the coil packs work more efficiently.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #3
Registered!!

yeah I know about the above I'm just wondering about aftermarket support for the coil pack ignition systems on these cars.
Old 07-18-2010   #4
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

one company made plasma coils which supposedly modded the originals with some extra circuitry to increase spark power, but the members who tried them ended up with an expensive paperweight few months later, and the company would not honor warranty. i doubt they even worked well.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010   #5
Registered!!

dang that's sucksssss What about the MSD HVII coil packs???