7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Help my clutch got jammed!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zxzkilme is an unknown quantity at this point
Help my clutch got jammed!?

i was going about 35 mph on second gear, right when i shifted to third my clutch never followed my foot, it just got stuck there, so i tried to pull it back up but once it was pulled back up the clutch got hard to step on, i can still step on it but its harder than usual... So now what happens is when i turn on my car while on neutral, it will turn on just fine but when i try to put it on any gears it wont go... even if i forcefully try to step on the clutch and put it on any gears it wont go.. So i thought maybe if i put it on gear first before starting my car maybe it will fix it.. So i turned off my car put it on first gear... then start my car, while im cranking the car ITS MOVING ON ITS OWN WITHOUT ME STEPPING ON THE GAS!! its not even fully cranked yet it just moves on its own!! When i put it on reverse then start the car then it will go on reverse on its own... Btw i still have to step on the clutch to get the car to crank... I think maybe when i was shifting from second to third i accidentally shifted in between first and third gear because it kind of felt like thats where my shift **** went.... Help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by zxzkilme; 07-01-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help my clutch got jammed!?

of course you have to step on the clutch to get it to crank still.. There's a switch in the pedal assembly that needs to shut in order for the car to crank.

And from the initial sounds of it (your pedal not coming back up) leads me to believe that the pressure plate's fingers are going, if not already gone..

unless the throwout bearing is seized to the shaft somehow, causing the pressure plate to be stuck, keeping the clutch engaged, even if the pedal is fully depressed.

I'm just pulling all this out of my ***, but it sounds plausible.. lol
Old 07-01-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
And from the initial sounds of it (your pedal not coming back up) leads me to believe that the pressure plate's fingers are going, if not already gone..
well at first it wouldnt go back up but once i stopped the car and turned it off i pulled it back up manually (with my hands) lol ever since then the clutch is so hard to step on.... its as if im running stage 2 clutch... also i noticed another symptom. When i semi put it on first gear meaning its not on first gear fully, normally if you dont shift all the way in gear and u gas it then you will hear your gear grind... when i purposely put my car on semi-first gear then crank the car then i hear it grind even if im not gassing the car meaning something is moving on its own....

Last edited by zxzkilme; 07-01-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-01-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You might have to pull your tranny to find out wtf's goin on
Old 07-01-2010
Registered!!

You might have to pull your tranny to find out wtf's goin on
No **** lol thats why I'm asking if anyone knows what's going on first so i know what to do when i pop the tranny.. Don't wanna pull out something if you don't know what the hells going on... lol
Old 07-01-2010
Registered!!

Anyone else might know what's going on please post..
Old 07-01-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by zxzkilme
No **** lol thats why I'm asking if anyone knows what's going on first so i know what to do when i pop the tranny.. Don't wanna pull out something if you don't know what the hells going on... lol
hahaha fair enough
Old 07-01-2010
Registered!!

hahaha fair enough
ahahah thanks for your help though
Old 07-01-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite possibly an issue with either the master or slave cylinder. Take a look at them to make sure everything is intact. Also, check your actual pedal assembly to make sure everything is intact. You may have broken something down there that's still allowing you to make contact with the limit, so you can still start the car but your not physically engaging your clutch. Do this before you pull the tranny. I'm going to guess this is a cylinder issue before anything internal. Bleed the system as well before you pull the tranny. Remember, start simple... Then work your way to the fun stuff.

The car rolling on its own while cranking is not normal unless your clutch pedal is not releasing the clutch disc from the flywheel. In other words, your pedal is not doing anything. (which you already know). This is the main reason why you have to have the clutch pedal pushed in to start the car, so you don't hit someone in front or behind you
Old 07-02-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
Quite possibly an issue with either the master or slave cylinder. Take a look at them to make sure everything is intact. Also, check your actual pedal assembly to make sure everything is intact. You may have broken something down there that's still allowing you to make contact with the limit, so you can still start the car but your not physically engaging your clutch. Do this before you pull the tranny. I'm going to guess this is a cylinder issue before anything internal. Bleed the system as well before you pull the tranny. Remember, start simple... Then work your way to the fun stuff.

The car rolling on its own while cranking is not normal unless your clutch pedal is not releasing the clutch disc from the flywheel. In other words, your pedal is not doing anything. (which you already know). This is the main reason why you have to have the clutch pedal pushed in to start the car, so you don't hit someone in front or behind you

Thanks this helps alot, but yea if i try to start the car on neutral it will crank fine, but it cant go in any gears, but if i put it in first gear first or any other gears then crank the car it will start moving while it is still cranking without me stepping on the gas at all...
Old 07-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to step on the gas. If you start the car in gear it will attempt to engage that gear because the clutch is not working. Remember the car rolls a bit in any gear without the gas pedal. The problem is your clutch pedal is not releasing the clutch disc from the flywheel. Check your pedal assembly first. Bleed the clutch system second. Check your master and slave cylinders third. Fourth pull the tranny out. I have a feeling you won't need to remove the transmission. Your master cylinder has probably failed or something in your clutch pedal has broken.
Old 07-02-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tbohar
You don't need to step on the gas. If you start the car in gear it will attempt to engage that gear because the clutch is not working. Remember the car rolls a bit in any gear without the gas pedal. The problem is your clutch pedal is not releasing the clutch disc from the flywheel. Check your pedal assembly first. Bleed the clutch system second. Check your master and slave cylinders third. Fourth pull the tranny out. I have a feeling you won't need to remove the transmission. Your master cylinder has probably failed or something in your clutch pedal has broken.
Ya I am kinda suspecting that his push rod has went bad behind the pedal.

To the OP have you kept the clutch master cylinder full, and you might want to check if the push rod throw is greased up. I am suspecting that there is something wrong with slave cylinder or the push rod. This is really all I can think of, I might figure something else out if these are not it.
Old 07-02-2010
Registered!!

Alright I'll keep an update on it and let you guys know if any of the above you guys said does not work.
Old 07-10-2010
Registered!!

rr44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Guaranteed you have blown a spring out of the clutch disc, and that spring is now lodged between the presure plate and the disc.