7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Many Repairs Needed, Which Can I Do At Home?

Old 06-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chadbaldwin is an unknown quantity at this point
Many Repairs Needed, Which Can I Do At Home?

I need to get all this replaced, which one's would I (a non-gearhead) be able to do at home?

- Front Rotors (hot spots all over them, apparently not worth turning)
- Front Brake pads (extremely low and cracked)
- Front Left Caliper (it's leaking brake fluid) (might as well replace both)
- Thermostat (sticking)
- Need Transmission Flush
- Need Power Steering Flush
- Possibly need new Alternator
Old 06-30-2010
Registered!!

HondaHowTo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Many Repairs Needed, Which Can I Do At Home?

Well none of it requires extremely expensive shop equip so if your adventurous you could really do it all (w/ purchase of a few extra tools). Just make sure you do so according to Haynes manual or you can even access OEM honda service repair site (way better than any after market manual lol) for $10 3-day access. The dealer service site is https://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/logon.asp?Region=US

If you don't want to get that involved the lighter fairly easier stuff would be:
-Rotors and pads (I strongly suggest ebay)
-Thermostat (suggest nappa go with an OEM similar quality, thermostats are important)

Then mid-way (semi-daring lol) would be
-TF change (MT 10w 30 motor oil, AT honda ATF)
-PS fluid change (prolly doesn't need to be but if you really want to just make sure you use Honda PS fluid, it matters haha)
-Alternator (why do you say it needs one?)

Let us know how it goes
Old 06-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

all of those you can do yourself but changing the alternator is a pain.
Old 06-30-2010
Registered!!

chadbaldwin is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, cool, that's what I thought. Any idea on the calipers?

I mentioned the alternator because there's a weird noise coming from the engine area when the car is running, especially when I rev the engine. It's sort of a rattling/tingling noise. I think it's coming from the alternator, but when I pop the hood and try to listen, it's too hard to hear the noise past the sound of the engine, especially since I have to rev it so I can hear the noise better. I'm not too worried about the alternator, since I don't have any charging problems, and the car's performance doesn't seem to be affected, so I'm just going to leave it be for now.
Old 06-30-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

The rattling is from the heat shield on your exhaust manifold which is just in front of your radiator, the bottom bolt has rusted off and its now rattling. You can remove it with two bolts and you dont need it. I've had mine off for 2 years. Buy the rotors from an autostore (Autozone $30ea) the caliper is leaking because the seals are old - 2 seals, one is a dust boot the other is the actual seal that sits inside the caliper's piston orifice, both are very easy to replace once again Autozone - $2.95ea caliper seal set.
Old 06-30-2010
Registered!!

HondaHowTo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a link for some front brakes, if it's a civic, including front rotors and pads

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...Q5fAccessories.

If you do order off eBay make sure, 100% sure it is for your car down to the model. It's such a pain to return something on there but the parts will work and they're extremely cheap.
And when you go to get next set of pads go to autozone and get them, and keep receipt! As soon as you use autozone pads up, you take em back with the reciept and they'll swap em out for new ones for free. And yes I thought it was to good to be true also, but it is true as long as you own that car you get free pads everytime
Old 06-30-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by HondaHowTo1
Here's a link for some front brakes, if it's a civic, including front rotors and pads

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...Q5fAccessories.

If you do order off eBay make sure, 100% sure it is for your car down to the model. It's such a pain to return something on there but the parts will work and they're extremely cheap.
And when you go to get next set of pads go to autozone and get them, and keep receipt! As soon as you use autozone pads up, you take em back with the reciept and they'll swap em out for new ones for free. And yes I thought it was to good to be true also, but it is true as long as you own that car you get free pads everytime
Why not just buy them at a store? They're dirt cheap. I didnt know that about Autozone though, good tip man! Then again, duralast brake pads are what 7 bucks a set? and you have to keep the reciept for 4 years? LOL
Old 06-30-2010
Registered!!

seoul4korea can only hope to improve

By the way. All of these things are REALLY easy to do. You just have to want to spend the time to do it. You ight as well add new belts in there while you at it. Removing the alt in these things are EASYYY
Old 06-30-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chadbaldwin
- Front Left Caliper (it's leaking brake fluid) (might as well replace both)
rebuild them, no need to change the whole caliper, unless it is cheaper to buy new.
One of the best ways to know what you can do is go to a parts store and just buy a haynes manual and read.