7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

ATF change:drain or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grunge101 is an unknown quantity at this point
ATF change:drain or not?

Hello.

Basically the ATF replacement in my 03 Vti Civic has been long due..i read somewhere that if the fluid gets very old and thick,one shouldnt drain it as it can screw up the gear settings...now im not sure if this is true and how am supposed to change the ATF if i cant drain the old fluid out?..

another question:can i do the ATF change safely at home?
Old 06-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drenic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ATF change:drain or not?

I really think its important to change your ATF since you have a automatic I would check the levels and make that decison on your own. I would speak with a Honda service guy to check and see if that statement is true. I just changed my MTF (Manual Trans Fluid) a week ago and that was the first time it was changed it wasn't too dirty but it needed to be changed. Its alot more difficult changing the MTF over ATF but the drain plug is in the same location on both. From research on the net and a Haynes book from Pep Boys or Advance Auto you can find out how much "TF" is needed for your car. Here is a link to a Youtube video on how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj5xTXRK9OI

Let me know if this helps.
Old 06-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: ATF change:drain or not?

get it changed asap do the drain and fill yourself its just like changing the oil . also the proper way is to drain it fill it then drive it around then repeat two more times.