7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Blew my head gasket and cracked the head

Old 06-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ckutch02EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Blew my head gasket and cracked the head

67,000 miles and this **** happens? I don't race or even beat on the thing! Worst part is I just bought 4 tires from tire rack the day before! Now I have new skins and no car. Had to take it to a stealership and they are quoting 1,500+ bucks. timing also is bad. Moving to Greensboro NC in 3 weeks. Anyone else have this problem in the past? What did it cost you? Just a thread for letting off the steam I guess. Oh its an 05 ex em2.
Old 06-28-2010
HLC
Registered!!

HLC is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Blew my head gasket and cracked the head

you cracked the head? i can't imagine how that happened. warping? yea ok. but fully on cracking? weird.

good luck.
Old 06-28-2010
Registered!!

Well I had my regular mechanic look at it first and he thinks it's actually cracked. he wasn't willing to take on a big job so i had to get it towed again to the dealer.
Old 06-28-2010
Pistol grip pump in my lap at all times

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

Check out this website link below... If your going to pay 1500 plus, you might as well get a lower mileage engine and drop it in there!
www.car-part.com
Old 06-28-2010
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Timing belt cost me 500-600 bucks before 1500 is outrageous.
Old 06-28-2010
Registered!!

PurpCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

happended to me all of it cost under 400 bucks for parts
changed the timing belt water pump and head gasket
but
keep yo head up bro

Last edited by PurpCivic; 06-28-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: left some things out
Old 06-28-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

most of that price is prolly for a new head. you can get a used head off ebay for $200 or less, then pay a machine shop $50 to clean it up and test it. just installing the head labor will be around $500. get the fluids and gaskets yourself and save some more $$. most is just dealer markup.
Old 06-29-2010
Registered!!

^^^ I realize that but I'm moving from PA to NC in three weeks and I need it done quickly. My regular shop said it would be cheapr but take them weeks to do because of other obligations. the dealer told me 7 days total to take it apart order parts and get it back in my hands. It just blows my mind that you can get the gasket st and a head for around 350-400 but the price is over 1,500. I wish I had more time so i could get it done by my normal shop. heading to the dealer today to find out if the head is warped or cracked. Hope it's just warped!
Old 06-30-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

hopefully warped...
Old 06-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

It really sounds like your mechanic made an educated guess as to the head condition. The head might not even be warped. Did he visually see the crack? A head gasket failure in no way means that your head is cracked or warped. Mine failed at 80k miles, the head was in great condition, the gasket was shot. It took me 3 days to finish it. I removed the head on Sunday, took it to a machine shop on Monday, and installed on Tuesday. I was lucky the machine shop had absolutely no wait time to inspect the head. Honda taking 7 days is total B.S. The only reason it takes that long is because most dealerships have to get the head sent out for machining because they are morons and can't do it in house (which is a good thing BTW.) Hopefully after inspection the head is okay and reinstalled without any further issues!!

BTW. here in Canada it costs 1700 dollars at the stealership for a head gasket change, this does NOT include a new head. Breakdown:

1000 dollars labor
250 dollars gasket kit
200-400 dollars for head machining (depending on condition)
200 dollars for other various things you need to replace
= 1650 + 13% tax = 1864.50 just for a head gasket change, so if your getting a new head for 1500 dollars... your not doing too bad. That price is best case scenario too, if there is nothing wrong with the head.
Old 07-01-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yes very rare to crack a head. so chances are they will use your old one and just resurface it.