7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

I used non-honda power steering fluid? Am I screwed even if I get it changed?

Old 06-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
metaliumx is an unknown quantity at this point
I used non-honda power steering fluid? Am I screwed even if I get it changed?

So, I was frustrated that after my alternator was replaced I noticed my power steering fluid was leaking. Of course I didn't read the label clearly, and I used a brand that said "not recommended", which i noticed after driving the car home, which was about 5 miles. If I take it 5 miles back to the garage in the morning, am I already boned? Should I be telling them to go ahead and replace the pump or something like that?
Old 06-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: I used non-honda power steering fluid? Am I screwed even if I get it changed?

you should be fine its only been in there for a short period of time your good. just get it replaced or do it yourself its fairly simple.
Old 06-21-2010
Registered!!

metaliumx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I used non-honda power steering fluid? Am I screwed even if I get it changed?

Thanks for the reply, and I'll be taking it first thing tomorrow to get it changed (also to find the source of the leak).
Old 06-25-2010
Registered!!

ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

drain and fill, and you're golden. Anyone really know why it says honda fluid only i'm just curious, i know it says no atf also
Old 06-26-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

honda fluid uses special additives for their ps system. same happened to our accord. parents opted for $1 generic fluid instead of $2.50 honda fluid, the whole pump started leaking. luckily a few drain and refills later with the honda fluid and everything was fine again. i wiped off the old fluid leaking and it hasnt come back.
Old 06-27-2010
Pistol grip pump in my lap at all times

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gearbox
honda fluid uses special additives for their ps system. same happened to our accord. parents opted for $1 generic fluid instead of $2.50 honda fluid, the whole pump started leaking. luckily a few drain and refills later with the honda fluid and everything was fine again. i wiped off the old fluid leaking and it hasnt come back.
WOW! I didnt even know that. Thats cool that its stopped leaking!!!