7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

MagnaFlow high flow catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rcelefano is an unknown quantity at this point
MagnaFlow high flow catalytic converter

Hi Everyone, I installed a magnaflow high flow catalytic converter a couple of years ago, and I'm just wondering if everyone who has done so, is having the same troubles as me.

I'm hardly getting 500km's per tank now, where I used to get close to 700km's a tank.

My engine light is almost always on.

I'm almost, always, failing emissions tests (too much heat or something like that).

And, it makes my magnaflow exhaust sound ricey at some points (it used to sound nice!).

The only other "engine mod" I have is an AEM cai.
Old 05-13-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: MagnaFlow high flow catalytic converter

how do you know what the check engine light is for what code is it displaying ???.
Old 05-13-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Yea.. posting what code you're throwing would help a little bit.
Old 05-13-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably for the O2 sensor (Because the catalytic converter is aftermarket). 500kms a tank is pretty normal man, I get about 580 all highway, but I drive pretty fast (130km/h). Your failing emissions probably because the cat is not filtering the exhaust properly.

I agree with the two above though, before any action check the codes.
Old 05-22-2010
Registered!!

carter is an unknown quantity at this point

WHat kind of gains do you get from the HFC ? I know on my Audi I have a bit better millage but only for the time period I am not stepping on it and ripping it around.
Old 05-22-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

never got it dyno'd and it's been 6 years since I've modified anything exhaust related, so I don't recall whatever gains.
Old 05-29-2010
Registered!!

Matteo will become famous soon enough

anyone know anything about Magnaflows new header/cat for the LX and DX models??
Old 05-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

700km per tank??? are you sure you were doing the math right?

i dont think anything is wrong with your car at all because you should be getting on average between 11-12 km/litre so you should be getting between 500-550 km on average per fill.
Old 05-29-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I think I've gotten that close ONCE on my car.. most miles per tank I ever got was 420-ish (700km is about 435miles)
Old 08-20-2010
Registered!!

Hey what's up guys. K, I find out what's up with my car.

The whole check engine light thing, the issue is

"Catalyst something something" lol. I got it checked out, and it has to do with the programming of the ecu. Honda warranties the issue, warranty is covered up to 130,00km's (I'm at 147,000kms... )

So the issue is like this, for example, the ecu measures the amount of pollution your car is making, over 5 seconds. Honda will increase the 5 second interval to 10 seconds, to get a better reading.

My gf's civic is having the same issue, and she has no mods, so it really is honda to blame...

As for gains, I never dyno'd, but I definitely felt a difference in the high rpm's. But on a track, I didn't really decrease my lap time, so I'm guessing I lost a lot of power on the lower end...

As for miles per gallon, I have now fixed the issue. I put some fuel injector cleaner (3 applicatons of stp fuel injector cleaner in a row) and my intake is louder once again. So I'm guessing since my car wasn't able to get enough fuel into the engine, it then decreased the amount of air it takes in, which in turn made the intake sound softer, and decreased mpg.

So all in all, I hope my experiences helps someone out there!
Old 08-20-2010
I'm bigger than you.

DannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to all

So what is the actual code number? I am guessing it would be p04020 if you have an aftermarket cat and you're getting a false code that your secondary O2 sensor is not functioning (hence why you are failing emissions). If that is the case, do the defouler trick or the O2 simulator.
Old 08-23-2010
'05 still rolling...

SpecialKPB will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Matteo
anyone know anything about Magnaflows new header/cat for the LX and DX models??
x2 on wanting to know
Old 08-23-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DannyK35
So what is the actual code number? I am guessing it would be p04020 if you have an aftermarket cat and you're getting a false code that your secondary O2 sensor is not functioning (hence why you are failing emissions). If that is the case, do the defouler trick or the O2 simulator.
Its not a false code. When you install an after market cat its not like the oem one. The aftermarket cat has more air flow where the secondary o2 is cause its a high flow cat so it throws the code.
Old 08-23-2010
I'm bigger than you.

DannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to allDannyK35 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 02civicsi02
Its not a false code. When you install an after market cat its not like the oem one. The aftermarket cat has more air flow where the secondary o2 is cause its a high flow cat so it throws the code.
That's what I meant, sorry for not clarifying. Yes it's a real code but it's not going to affect performance if it's just the secondary O2 that is causing the code.
Old 10-05-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the replies guys.

My car just failed emissions today. It failed the "NO ppm"

@ 40km/h, the limit is 576. My car read 691.

last year, my car read 543.

I just got quotes from Honda's around my area. Check out these ridiculous prices.

ideal honda - $1043
toronto honda - $1050
center honda - $1044
midtown honda - $1043

JUST FOR THE PARTS! NOT EVEN LABOUR INCLUDED!
Old 10-07-2010
Registered!!

Good news! It wasn't the catalytic converter! It was the O2 sensor.

Thank God for that! lol