7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

road noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough
road noise

does anybody have excessive road noise in their em2. mine is pretty bad. i have it lowered and on 17 inch rims and at 20mph it gets pretty loud and then it goes away and then from 45-55 its crazy loud and its been getting on my nerves. ever since i have had this car its been like this. but not as loud, i could just hear that vibration at 40 mph and ive gotten my rims balanced before when i got new tires. i dont think the balance is the problem. but is there a way to cut the noise level down in the car?
Old 04-21-2010
Registered!!

2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough
Re: road noise

i also read on honda tech and they said that em2 are some of the noisiest civics and i can agree with that but im just wondering if anybody else has this problem and what they did about it.
Old 04-21-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well tires are a big noise factor, so is having larger rims and thinner tires. but even with stock size, the difference in tire brands can be very noticable for road noise.
Old 04-21-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
well tires are a big noise factor, so is having larger rims and thinner tires. but even with stock size, the difference in tire brands can be very noticable for road noise.
yea i have kumho escatas and i hate these tires. im not gonna cheap out with my next set of tires. i had falkens before when i had 15's and it wasnt as bad it was still kinda loud still. and then i switched to 17's and got these tires and it wasnt that bad but it was worse i think the wheel gap made it dissapate and then i got coilovers so i have an inch of wheel gap now and then it got even worse. im used to it now though i just wanna see if theres anything i can do to make the road noise less until i get new tires.
Old 04-21-2010
Registered!!

GreenMachineDX is an unknown quantity at this point

My dads civic has the same thing... But the thing that confuses me how come my 02 DX dont have this at all..
Old 04-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

exactly. not all cars are the same, and for some reason road noise varies in a lot of em2s. road noise comes from your tires yes, but its not just tires, there are a lot of other things involved. i also use kumho ecsta ast tires on my 17s during summer and theyre by FAR the quietest performance tires ive ever used in this car or any other car. quieter than goodyear, yokohama, and michelin sets ive used. my winters are also kumhos and even quieter than my summers.

i think it has a lot more to do with you being lowered, and the size of tire/rim you use than it does with your 'brand' of tires.
Old 04-22-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by unTuned
exactly. not all cars are the same, and for some reason road noise varies in a lot of em2s. road noise comes from your tires yes, but its not just tires, there are a lot of other things involved. i also use kumho ecsta ast tires on my 17s during summer and theyre by FAR the quietest performance tires ive ever used in this car or any other car. quieter than goodyear, yokohama, and michelin sets ive used. my winters are also kumhos and even quieter than my summers.

i think it has a lot more to do with you being lowered, and the size of tire/rim you use than it does with your 'brand' of tires.
yea im thinking that its just my car. as you said road noise varies in these cars and from reading on other forums im positive that its my car and not the tires.

thank you for all the help.