7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Cool air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KushCanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool air Intake?

Alright so, looking online most cool air intake companies offer a free ram air kit with their cool air intake. That aside, The cool air intake that comes with a seperate RAD what is that called? how do I search for it? I know most major cool air intake suppliers have one I just cant seem to find the name for them.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cool air Intake?

Your not talking about an intercooler are you? Those are for turbo cars mostly so you don't need one.
Old 04-08-2010
Registered!!

KushCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, makes sense, incase you can't tell Im new to the whole aftermarket parts scene lol.
Old 04-08-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about it. Everyone has to start somewhere. You won't see any performance gains from any intake that you put on a 7th gen civic. So a short ram is the safest best. A cold air intake has the possibility of sucking up water which could hydro lock your engine which is NOT good. An inter cooler is for turbo engines and yours is not turbo (at least I don't think so).

So buy yourself a short ram intake. The cheapest way to do this is to buy a cheap ebay intake and buy an AEM dry flow filter and stick it on the cheap ebay pipe. This way your getting a quality filter at half the cost of a full AEM intake.

Hope this helps
Old 04-08-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

yes that seperate 'rad' is not a rad, its an intercooler that sits in front of your cars rad. it has piping linked to it and is for use on turboed vehicles. generally, one side of the intercooler piping meets where the turbo is, and the other side meets up at the throttlebody (same place you put a short ram intake).

hes totally right, get a short ram intake. it does the exact same thing as a cold air intake. not only do you risk less problems with the short ram system, but its much much easier to access than a cold air intake for when you need to clean your filter or get access into your engine bay.
Old 04-08-2010
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tbohar
Don't worry about it. Everyone has to start somewhere. You won't see any performance gains from any intake that you put on a 7th gen civic. So a short ram is the safest best. A cold air intake has the possibility of sucking up water which could hydro lock your engine which is NOT good. An inter cooler is for turbo engines and yours is not turbo (at least I don't think so).

So buy yourself a short ram intake. The cheapest way to do this is to buy a cheap ebay intake and buy an AEM dry flow filter and stick it on the cheap ebay pipe. This way your getting a quality filter at half the cost of a full AEM intake.

Hope this helps
Just curious... do you happen to know which eBay pipe you recommend? All my searches on ebay.ca seem to return the brand name intakes and no cheap pipes.

Damn living in Canada and having to pay crappy shipping rates :@
Old 04-08-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Living in Canada does suck for pricing. I just got all the head gasket crap and it cost me 700 bucks just for the parts... and I talked them down 10%!!! grr...

There isn't much on ebay at the moment actually...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/01-02-03-04-05-HO...item3a59336c05

I'd go as far as trying this one. It says 55 for shipping but there is a 30 dollar ship option which brings the total price to 50 bucks. I've heard of people having to modify them to fit properly, but that's what tuning is all about isn't it? The most important thing is that it has the same diameter as the throttle body and the AEM filter

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AEM-DRYFLOW-DRY-F...item3efeabd00f

This guy is a pretty good filter. So, all in all your spending 110 bucks instead of 200+shipping. You might just have to fight with the pipe a little bit lol.

I forgot to add... When you get the pipe throw the cheap filter straight out. Do not use it not even for a day because it's total garbage... You might as well just leave it with no filter on it.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 04-08-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2010
Whachya lookin at?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AEM-SHORT-RAM-INT...item19bacf7fba

This isn't too bad either though... hmm.
Old 04-08-2010
Registered!!

Yeah.. is $110 a good price for that? Or do you think I could get a better deal if I waited?

(I just got a larger paycheck than usual so I've got the dough this week, lol)

Also, I probably should've mentioned that my car is an LX manual trans, although I don't think it matters.
Old 04-08-2010
Whachya lookin at?

It might matter lemme check. Best off to mail him and make sure. It seems that AEM has one for the DX/LX and a seperate one for the EX. If it was me, I'd spend the extra 80 bucks and get the AEM one now that I look at it. Usually they are over 200 bucks but this guy is selling it for 190 shipped. ^Link above.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 04-08-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-08-2010
Registered!!

seoul4korea can only hope to improve

LOL i'd invest in some books so you can learn more about what your doing. first off what is your end goal?? are you wanting a turbo? if so don't waste your money on a cold air intake.
Old 04-08-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Were talking about a short ram intake here You should read the posts from start to finish. This topic is in no way about a turbo Just Awjail wants a short ram intake for his shlivic. I agree on the books tho, the OP needs to do some research before buying anything
Old 04-08-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by KushCanada
Alright so, looking online most cool air intake companies offer a free ram air kit with their cool air intake. That aside, The cool air intake that comes with a seperate RAD what is that called? how do I search for it? I know most major cool air intake suppliers have one I just cant seem to find the name for them.

Thanks
Originally Posted by KushCanada
Ah, makes sense, incase you can't tell Im new to the whole aftermarket parts scene lol.
Originally Posted by unTuned
yes that seperate 'rad' is not a rad, its an intercooler that sits in front of your cars rad. it has piping linked to it and is for use on turboed vehicles. generally, one side of the intercooler piping meets where the turbo is, and the other side meets up at the throttlebody (same place you put a short ram intake).

hes totally right, get a short ram intake. it does the exact same thing as a cold air intake. not only do you risk less problems with the short ram system, but its much much easier to access than a cold air intake for when you need to clean your filter or get access into your engine bay.
Your not talking about an intercooler are you? Those are for turbo cars mostly so you don't need one.
Were talking about a short ram intake here You should read the posts from start to finish. This topic is in no way about a turbo Just Awjail wants a short ram intake for his shlivic. I agree on the books tho, the OP needs to do some research before buying anything
You know your right! No where in this thread was there talk about turbo cars of any kind! In fact I can't recall reading the first oh IDK 5 threads and didn't see a single topic about the RAD thingy. NO TALK ABOUT TURBOCHARGERS AT ALL! I guess I forgot to read all the post on this topic that had nothing about the word turbo in it..... Thanks for helping me out buddy

Last edited by seoul4korea; 04-08-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by seoul4korea

You know your right! No where in this thread was there talk about turbo cars of any kind! In fact I can't recall reading the first oh IDK 5 threads and didn't see a single topic about the RAD thingy. NO TALK ABOUT TURBO AT ALL! I guess I forgot to read all the post on this topic that had nothing about the word turbo in it..... Thanks for helping me out buddy
You should probably go away now.
Old 04-08-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Awjvail
You should probably go away now.
And why would that be? Am I not right? I mean really I just pointing out what he said.
Old 04-08-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

get a electric turbo lol.

Last edited by lowlife9; 04-08-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-08-2010
Whachya lookin at?

oops... i was just pointing out we have moved on to talking about avs short ram intake and that nobody mentioned they were getting a turbo. Never meant to **** ya off sorry!

Edit: I also assumed the OP has no interest in a turbo as well... so that was where my fault was.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 04-08-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-08-2010
Registered!!

Isn't the cheap pipe + AEM filter the exact same as a full AEM kit?
Old 04-08-2010
Whachya lookin at?

I've heard of people having trouble fitting the pipe and having to shave some off the top so it does not hit the hood. I've also read the sensor not fitting properly sometimes and having to make some adjustments. It all depends on what the 80 bucks is worth to you I guess And if you have it. I think the AEM one fits well.
Old 04-09-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

that 3" pipe will not fit properly, and it is NOT the same size as the throttlebody. if you get a 3" ebay pipe, your hood will not even close. you will have to cut off almost 2 inches from the end of the pipe that connects to the TB, and even after that you will still have the top of the pipe rub against the hood. you cant cut more than that off because of the angle the pipe bends, it will end up being an odd oval shape and because you will be cutting up to the sensor hole. trust me. its annoying.

if youre going to get an ebay pipe, make sure its a 2.5" pipe like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-0...Q5fAccessories

in fact, i would recommend this one anyway even though its a CAI and use it as a SRI instead. all you do is connect the filter to the first pipe and forget about that second pipe. if the filter doesnt sit far enough forward, cut a little piece of the straight portion of the second pipe and use a coupling to connect them, then put your filter on that. pretty simple.