7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Valve cover gasket leak. Help please!!! (FIXED)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kryngle is an unknown quantity at this point
Valve cover gasket leak. Help please!!! (FIXED)

Okay here's the deal. I tried search and couldn't find a thing but on Saturday I realized anytime I started up my car it would stutter and the rpm would rev up and then its back to normal. Today now the CEL came one.. I scanned em and found codes P0300 P0302 and P0303. So I just started off with the Spark Plugs and when I took out the plug from Cylinder 1 and 2 there was oil in there. I now know the valve cover gasket needs to be replaced. Its a 2001 Acura EL which is the same as a EX. I tried to look for a DIY but no luck what's so ever. Any suggestion on how to do this and tools I need??? And BTW how much does a valve cover gasket cost anyway???

Thanks in advance

Last edited by kryngle; 03-18-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road
Re: Valve gasket leak. Help please!!!

valve gasket? Valve cover gasket? need a bit more information from you.
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

Re: Valve cover gasket leak. Help please!!!

Originally Posted by ExistEvolution
valve gasket? Valve cover gasket? need a bit more information from you.
I'm sorry, the valve cover gasket. I was changing the spark plugs and I seen oil in cylinder 1 and 2. When I did a Google search, it was pointing to changing the valve cover gasket. What i would like to know is what else gaskets will I need and is there a DIY anywhere??? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

information should not be trusted

I replaced my spark plugs to NGK and the last had OIL in it also , took to a shop charged me 75 bucks for the valvecover gastket and spark plug seal with labor
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

That's the thing. I'm up in Canada so I know the stealership is gonna rape my wallet. Fromt what I been readin, it seems to be fairly easy but I would love to get a DIY so I can educate myself with a new skill. This forum has helped me with plenty of DIY so I'm sure someone out here can help a brotha out.
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

Protan988 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well you want to change the valve cover gasket AND spark plug tube seals. No idea on price you will have to find out yourself. Probably only need simple tools like sockets and ratchet. Maybe a torque wrench for re tightening the valve cover
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

I just called up Honda and had them put a set or spark plug seals and the valve cover gasket on hold for me. Wondering if the 2004 2door Civic uses the same valve cover gasket?!?! Might be a dumb question but mine is a 2001 Acura EL and if I was to order these from Acura they would rape me big time.
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

Well all is done. I took it apart and saw one of my spark plug seals was torn. I took em all out and replaced them as well as the valve cover gasket. Was actually pretty easy to do. Theres 2 more things that need to be done. The ignition coil for cylinder 2, the bottom of the coil has a rubber end that has gotten stuck down there so Im a need long nose pliers to get that out and on that same coil, there is a rubber seal at the top that has gotten lose and will not stick back in. Had to order that part from Honda. But all in all it's been a job well done... Left the car running for about 3 minutes and no leaks. Thanks y'all.
Old 03-17-2010
Registered!!

thats good news, sorry i couldn't help you out man, i'm doing my timing belt this weekend, i'll see if i can find a camera and get some pics up if anyone needs any
Old 03-17-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

did you take any pictures? those would have been good to post up for reference.

what exactly was the process you did? remove plastic cover, unplugged, remove cylinders and plugs, then just remove the bolts holding the big valve cover?

how hard was the valve cover to get off?
Old 03-18-2010
Registered!!

untuned you need pics of valve cover coming off?
Old 03-18-2010
Registered!!

I didn't take any pics when I done this, sorry... What I have done was unplugged the Ignition coils and then removed them. I had to unbolt all 5 bolts and both Tube A and B Side Branch (that's what Honda calls the part) I also disconnected my CAI tube that is connected to the engine. Took a chisel to it and started to knock away at it VERY lightly till it popped up a little, then just pried it off... When I seen the spark plug seals on cylinder 2 was messed up. I tried to pull em all out with pliers but all it did was rip. Had to take a small flat head screwdriver and a hammer to it. It popped out fairly easy but damn they were stiff like me when wakin up at 5am LMAO... But what I'm a do is take pics of the seals. It was horrible. I highly recommend people on changin their valve cover gaskets and spark plug seals. U won't regret this at all.
Old 03-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all
Re: Valve cover gasket leak. Help please!!! (FIXED)

well i dont need them, but last summer i was thinking about removing my valve cover to get it taken in and powder coated in a nice blue to match the rest of the work i have done under my hood. it would look sharp, but i realised its a shitty process. some kind of reference to help me make up my mind would be nice.

as for removing it, after you had the bolts removed, you still needed to use the chisel and hammer? was it because of that concrete type glue that have in there? im just wondering how crappy the process was, and if you used anything in the glues place to reseal it when you put it all together.
Old 03-19-2010
Registered!!

I used the chisel and hammer to loosen it up cause it was on there pretty good. After loosening it up I just took a flat head screwdriver to prey it off a but so I could get a proper grip. There were no more other tools I needed after that process.
Old 03-19-2010
Registered!!

do not pry open valve cover from head, you can damage the surface and cause an oil leak, i got mine off by tapping the side with a mallot, if you have to pry it up do it against the timing cover gently with a small prybar so you don't damage the timing cover