7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

moisture in headlight

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LittleBlack02 is an unknown quantity at this point
moisture in headlight

There's alot of moisture in my left headlight and its been like that for a long time. I know i'd have to take off the bumper, take apart the head light then reseal it, but my girlfriend's step dad said i should get a small drill bit and drill a hole in the low right corner of the headlight so it would drain, at first i thought it was an awful idea but not im contemplating it, whats you opinion or recommendation?
Old 03-11-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: moisture in headlight

I recommend taking the headlight out and resealing it. If you do that you can ruin the headlight permanently because it would be hard to seal the hole later with silicone. It would drain the headlight but you would always have condensation on the lens and it would still look awful.
Old 03-11-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
I recommend taking the headlight out and resealing it. If you do that you can ruin the headlight permanently because it would be hard to seal the hole later with silicone. It would drain the headlight but you would always have condensation on the lens and it would still look awful.
i mean it's been like for..has to be two years atleast, is it possible that the plastic covering is already ruined?
Old 03-11-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

take the headlamp off the car, remove the two halves either using an oven or heat gun around the edges, then add butyl sealent in the channels where the stock stuff is. heat it up, and put it back together. 3M windoweld ribbon at the auto store works great, just dont use too much or it will seep out the edges. you want enough to fill the gaps and have a tiny bit seep out which you can pull out once they are sealed.
Old 03-11-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
take the headlamp off the car, remove the two halves either using an oven or heat gun around the edges, then add butyl sealent in the channels where the stock stuff is. heat it up, and put it back together. 3M windoweld ribbon at the auto store works great, just dont use too much or it will seep out the edges. you want enough to fill the gaps and have a tiny bit seep out which you can pull out once they are sealed.
is it possible to take out the headlight without taking off the bumper? and is it possible to take off the bumper without lifting the car?
Old 03-11-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

No to the first question, it's WAY easier to get it off if you lift the car I would not do it without it.
Old 03-11-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ive never had to lift the car to remove a bumper, and my car is lowered so idk. put a blanket under it to prevent scraping. all the clips are easily seen by sticking your head under and looking (they are all near the outside edges). usually takes me 5 mins to pull it off.
Old 03-11-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
ive never had to lift the car to remove a bumper, and my car is lowered so idk. put a blanket under it to prevent scraping. all the clips are easily seen by sticking your head under and looking (they are all near the outside edges). usually takes me 5 mins to pull it off.
i don't see any tutorials on it....am i missing one?
Old 03-11-2010
Premium Member

there is an old diy here somewhere that shows how to remove it. basically open the hood, pop off those 4 black plastic clips holding the upper grill on, then all along the bottom of the bumper are screws and clips you need to remove and pop. at the very side edges of the bumper by the fender, there is one screw on each side. once all the hardware is off, you have to yank off the bumper starting at the two sides and then the middle. it has plastic inside clips and only way to release is to pull it. have two people so it will be easier to remove without falling. its not heavy but can be awkward.
Old 03-11-2010
HLC
Registered!!

HLC is an unknown quantity at this point

i have an aftermarket front bumper and it literally takes me 5 minutes or less to remove and replace the bumper. theres 2 10mm bolts, 2 screws and 2 pop clips. its way easy. oh and you have to remove the bumper to get the headlight out, theres 2 bolts that are inaccessible with the bumper on.
Old 03-12-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

i would never EVER drill a little hole in the headlight lens. that is a ridiculous idea. not only would it not work, but youd constantly have moisture getting inside and it would be a terrible disaster a year or two from now. your headlight would look like crap.

ive never had to jack my car up to remove my bumper either, it isnt very hard. i just place a piece of carpet or something underneath it so it doesnt fall onto the ground where theres dirt or whatever.

here is the DIY that you are looking for:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...r-removal.html

follow that diy as if youre clearing your headlights (you can do that if you want too, it looks way better) but clear the moisture out, then reseal them good as you put them back together. let them dry before you reinstall. if it was me, i would actually remove both headlights and do this to both since you have the bumper off and the supplies and the chance to do it. might as well do both at once.