7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Honda Dealership Transmission Flush

Old 03-03-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
abchilln is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Dealership Transmission Flush

So I'm wondering if any of you have taken your cars to an actual Honda dealership to have the transmission fluid flushed? Now when I'm referring to "flush", I'm actually referring to a drain and fill 3x.

I called my local dealership, and they quoted me $55 for a flush. Does that seem somewhat low? I mean the cost of an entire case of ATF is probably close to $80. I'm just wondering if they are actually going to hook it up to a pump and flush it, or just drain and fill it once?
Old 03-03-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda Dealership Transmission Flush

nope the service manual tells them not to flush, they do not even have the machine to do it. for $50, all they do is a single drain and fill.
Old 03-03-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i had mine flushed with the machine at a used honda acura dealership for $190 dollars just make sure they use honda fluid. and the cost of doing your own drain and fill with honda fluid and gaskit will run anywhere from 30 to 40 dollars so its up to you if its woth the hassle of doing it yourself to save 10 bucks.
Old 03-03-2010
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

What gasket are you talking about?

As far as I know there is no gaskets that are changed when you flush out your transmission fluid.
Old 03-03-2010
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
What gasket are you talking about?

As far as I know there is no gaskets that are changed when you flush out your transmission fluid.
sorry i meant to say washer.get this the dealership charged me $3.50 for that washer lol.

Last edited by lowlife9; 03-03-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2010
Registered!!

holy **** today i did a drain and fill and there was a huge clump of metal shavings on the magnet it took me by surprise so i cleaned it off went to put it back in and another clump of metal shaving attached to it needless to say i will be doing a drain and fill more often.
Old 03-06-2010
Registered!!

89CRX is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow metal shavings sounds like sumone needs shifting 101. I drained mine and no metal shavings . With regards to the flush Honda will only do it once not a repeat. They only do what the manual says to do.
Old 03-06-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 89CRX
Wow metal shavings sounds like sumone needs shifting 101. I drained mine and no metal shavings . With regards to the flush Honda will only do it once not a repeat. They only do what the manual says to do.
i drive a automatic.
Old 03-06-2010
Registered!!

wow then you got problems. pull the trans and see where they are coming from.
Old 03-06-2010
Registered!!

it doesn't slip or anything but it does shift hard it has 125,000 miles on it and i would consider rebuilding it if i knew how to.
Old 03-06-2010
Registered!!

can we say GSR LSD 5spd swap???
Old 03-06-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

honda autos suck lol. they eat themselves up
Old 03-09-2010
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

A little bit of shavings is normal. But if you have alot, I would start thinking about a rebuild or a new tranny all together.
Old 03-09-2010
Registered!!

abchilln is an unknown quantity at this point

The owners manual specifically states to drain and refill three times. I kind of figured they'd only change it once though.

Anyways, managed to get the full flush completed on Sunday. The fluid was still pretty dark after the second drain.

Luckily, the magnet didn't look too bad. A small amount of metal shavings, but nothing of concern. It did take me quite a while to complete the entire process.

Started at nine in the morning, and ended around three. I took it around the block after each refill (3.5 miles) to get the fluid circulated enough to clean out the torque converter. Overall, pretty easy job.

I would have taken the opportunity to install a transmission cooler, and external filter, but I have a third party warranty. I could totally see them trying to deny a transmission claim if I were to install those aftermarket parts.
Old 03-09-2010
Registered!!

ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

can we say GSR LSD 5spd swap???
that fits on the d17?
Old 03-11-2010
Registered!!

mcmurtry1986 is an unknown quantity at this point

a real trans flush will run you around $125, dont do that drain and refill stuff because the only fluid that you are really changing is what is in the pan
Old 03-31-2010
Registered!!

innerlight is an unknown quantity at this point

The 2001-2005 Civic is notorious for automatic transmission problems. Check the fluid. If it smells burnt, flush it out at least 3 times. What I mean is drain it, refill with 2.9 quarts, drive it about 30 min or more. This will flush the new oil through the torque convertor. Honda recommends this procedure 3-4 times. Also if you see any junk on the drain plug, clean it. Use oil recommended for "ATF-Z1". You don't have to use the Honda brand even though they say you should. I use the Valvoline Max Life Dextron III/Mecor (good for ATF-Z1 on back). Never had a problem. If you don't know how to change the fluid, go to Youtube and watch the video "How To Change Transmission Fluid on Honda Civic".

After that, if you have money to spend, buy a good stacked plate transmission cooler. I recommend a B&M. These trannys run hot. Heat kills automatic transmissions. Don't buy a tiny cooler. Get one for a light truck/SUV. ~15000-25000 BTU. And remember, a stacked plate (no tube types). Good Luck.