7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

how much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all
how much is too much?

when i did my oil change this weekend i filled it up to read about 1/2 way between the bottom and top holes on the dipstick. i went to add just a little more and it now reads just barely over the top hole on the dipstick. should i be really concerned? if it was a lot over id take some out, but i would say that its maybe 1/8 inch at most above the 'max' dot on the dipstick. should i get a tube and turkey baster or something and remove a little bit? or should i be fine? im guessing its an extra 1/8 of a quart at most, so it goes just barely above the line.

please answer only if you know exactly what youre talking about. thanks.

also, on another note, where do the bulk of you guys fill your oil up to on the dipstick? just above the bottom dot, half way, or just below the top dot? just curious.
Old 03-01-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough
Re: how much is too much?

If its just a tad like that above the top dot then it should be alright. Though you really dont want to fill it up anymore than that. I always keep mine above the halfway point between the dots. I check my oil level everytime I get gas.
Old 03-01-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i fill a tiny bit below max, so i dont have to worry about checking it often or losing oil pressure on a sharp turn. and my car doesnt burn oil so it stays at that spot til next time. another reason for leaving it a tad lower than max is for additives to mix in without going above max. a lil bit above will not hurt, but its better to have it below max than above.
Old 03-01-2010
Registered!!

unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

yea the goal was to be about 3/4 towards the max line, but when i was at 1/2 way, i put in just a bit too much and went barely over. im guessing if i was going to have a problem i probably already would have by now, since ive driven it probably about 50-60 miles, or am i wrong?

gb do you still use valvoline maxlife high mileage oil? i remember a long time ago reading you saying thats what you used. what mileage did you start using it at?
Old 03-01-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah started using it around 65k miles and will continue so long as i have the car. a lil bit overfill wont do much, but most problems happen over time, like leaking seals and stuff from too much oil.
Old 03-02-2010
Registered!!

pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

The only time you will have a problem from too much oil is if it is so full that the crankshaft hits the oil. If this occurs the splashing may cause the oil to foam. While I don't know how much over full it would take to reach the crankshaft, I do know of someone that added an extra quart to an Accord with no problems.
I disagree with running the oil at less than full. If you are half way between the add and full marks you are half a quart or about 13.5% low. Less oil means that the additives and base stock break down faster. If you change oil at reasonable intervals then this probably makes no difference but I see no advantage to having the oil less than full.