7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

d17a1 intake manifolf swap.....y8

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mikecivicpr is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile d17a1 intake manifolf swap.....y8

Hy,
Im new in this community so I dont know to much about performance parts. I have a 01 civic dx coupe with a d17a1 in it.Everyone is telling me that I should change my intake manifold for a y8. I dont know what really need to do because I dont think it fits directly as it comes please correct me if Im wrong. Please I need all the details to do this and please be very specific with them...... thanks
Old 02-21-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: d17a1 intake manifolf swap.....y8

People upgrade them because they can blow the stock plastic one up when turbo charging the car with high pressure. Are you turbod? If not, no point. If your still dead set on upgrading it, you need to hack the y8 manifold at the edge of the runners, and have a D17 injector plate welded onto it. Then it will bolt up. I'm not sure if you need to modify the throttle body or if its a direct bolt on. I would "Port match" the throttle body outlet to the inlet on the intake manifold if its smaller.
Old 02-22-2010
Registered!!

Well Im not turbo.....and thanks for the info I would do more research thanks again!!!!!
Old 02-22-2010
Registered!!

Vilex is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah. Unless your going Boost or Nitrous, I wouldn't bother.. Well, unless your doing an N/A build, it would help a bit.

As for me, i'm running nitrous, and i've already blown my intake manifold up once. (Piece of **** plastic junk). The y8 mani flows alot better than the D17 mani.
Old 02-23-2010
Registered!!

baron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of light

It is a decent upgrade if you plan to do an N/A build or boost, but there are plenty of other things that need to be upgraded before it's worth doing. Now, that being said, you having an 01 DX is actually to your advantage. You don't need to chop the runners off because you don't have EGR. You only have to widen two bolt holes. Then you have to find a way to mount the d17 throttle body on the y8 manifold. I've toyed with the idea of using a throttle body spacer and welding it to the manifold, but haven't gotten deep enough into it to know if it will work. Now that I've told you how to do it.. take this advice.. this mod is not for someone who doesn't know their way around an engine pretty well. It requires using different injectors and some tuning to make it work. It also requires some fabrication. If you can't do some basic fab and some basic welding, I would stay away from this. I also HIGHLY recommend k-pro before you do this mod. It will make your life easier.
Old 02-23-2010
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

If your using a D17 injector plate, why would you need different injectors?
Old 02-23-2010
Registered!!

It seems like a fairly cheap upgrade. But a total pain in the ***, if you ask me. I would totally do this, or at least attempt. But i'm running on AEM FIC, and I know i'd most likely have issues since I don't have kpro. I'm better off just doing it down the road.
Old 02-24-2010
Registered!!

Well one of my friends is selling me a aem standalone and Im planning to buy it before I do this mod.....I still not very sure witch one is it but it will be the first thing I will do.......thanks for all your help
Old 02-24-2010
Registered!!

It's probably the AEM EMS. Honestly, I would save and just get kpro. It have more control over our cars, and it's more suitable. Say AEM EMS is for various cars and does different things, kpro focuses mainly on our cars, engines, etc. So it's more suitable and definitely worth the money.
Old 02-24-2010
Premium Member

If your getting a good deal, pick up the AEM EMS and sell it for Kpro if you want.

AEM EMS will do just fine- it what the best you could get for tuning before kpro came out.