7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Taillight Fix - When smoking goes wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V84Lunch has a spectacular aura aboutV84Lunch has a spectacular aura about
Taillight Fix - When smoking goes wrong!

Alright, so the other day I decided to work over my aftermarket tails.. I really like the layout and separation of lights, but the fake carbon fiber wasnt my cup of tea.. No way I was gonna turn em down though, they were free from a good friend

Since I'm stealthin' out the car, I had the great idea of picking up a can of Nightshades for $12 and making them look badass.. Being the genius I am, I decided it would be best to shoot this **** just like regular spray paint.. Can you say - FAIL? By the time I had a 'nice even coat' the damn lens wasn't smoked, it was BLACK.

The following is what to do when you're taillight smoking extraveganza goes terribly wrong..

**What You'll Need**

Your jacked up lens(s)
Sandpaper: 120, 220, 500/600, 1500, 2000
Meguiar's 'Mirror Glaze' Number 17 Plastic Cleaner
2 Terry Cloths/Applicator Pads
(You can speed the process with an orbital, but I did it old school)

Pretty simply process really; strip you're nightshades wetsanding with the 120grit, and progressively sand your way up to the 2000. I think I spent about 5 mins for each grit (after the 600), but your hand and the paper will tell you when it's done. Unfortunately I missed taking a shot of the messed up lens, but here are progessive pictures after each stage (with the AEP paper for comparison)

*600 Grit*
Name:  600Grit.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  50.8 KB

*1500 Grit*
Name:  1500Grit.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  47.2 KB

*2000 Grit*
Name:  2000Grit.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  39.5 KB

Once you're done with that, time to start workin in the Meguiar's. It's as easy as following the directions and doin work

*Half/Half Comparison, Before and After*
Name:  BeforeAfter.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  55.5 KB

*Finished*

*Closeup (look closely, you'll see the reflection of my phone)
Name:  Closeup.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  33.9 KB

There ya go dudes, when I get the lens back on the housing I'll post some pics of the new smoking - the right way

Last edited by V84Lunch; 08-14-2009 at 11:56 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot - haha.
Old 08-15-2009
Registered!!

Re: Taillight Fix - When smoking goes wrong!

Got everything wrapped up today and got the tails put back on the car. Put some pics up so you guys can compare the stock with the smoked.

Here is the 'repaired' lens back on the housing:

Name:  AftermarketBefore.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  110.3 KB

After Smoking:

Name:  Smokin.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  113.3 KB

Before and After Shots:

Name:  FinishedBack.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  85.4 KB

Name:  Installed.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  111.1 KB

Here she is stock:
Name:  Inwrap.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  79.7 KB

What do you guys think? Leave some feedback!
Old 08-16-2009
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, I don't like smoked tails so I have to ask if your new bumper is the result of a rear-ender caused by the victim's inability to see your lights.

Good job on the wet sanding though. I do my headlights pretty regularly.
Old 08-16-2009
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

Looks like Ricer crap, matches the rear bumper nicely....
Old 08-16-2009
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

The lights look okay. Nice recovery.

Brownie points lost for that damn bumper and the magical colour morphing trunk lid though
Old 08-16-2009
Registered!!

Wow, so here's the thing guys.. I can definitely understand beauty being in the eye of the beholder, and everyone having their own tastes and whatnot -would be a pretty lame place if we were all the same.

LordHelmet's reply is an example of this, he even manages to crack a joke that made me laugh a bit. However, there are a few ignorant ****s floating around in likes of Alpha 5 that would better off replacing their mouth with another *******, as it would be more fitting..

Not here to start a flame war, but for ****s sake have a little respect. Communities like this are an awesome place to learn, grow, and help others out that share your passion. I happen to take a lot of pride in my car and the work that I do. I'm not rich and my ride isn't a trailer queen - it's on the road, every day and all year long. Some of us actually work for what we have, and wrench our **** together a little at a time. My 'magical morphing trunk lid' is a prime example of this. Check the thread - I did the work. I didn't go drop it off at a shop somewhere and pay my way to satisfaction. I happen to take a lot of pride in that.

On a side note, nice job on the 'JDM' **** you're hangin on your ride Alpha, that's not ricer at all is it..? Now all you need is a japanese vanity plate and some driver badges - that would be hardcore JDM!

If you wanna roll stock just like all the other ****in 7th gens because you think it's 'cleaner' - go right ahead. But show some respect to the guys working their *** off to make their car something unique.

Last edited by V84Lunch; 08-16-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-16-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i agree, i like seeing new things. i get sick of stock (or jdm i guess) cars because thats mostly what i see. modded cars add excitement to the streets.
Old 08-16-2009
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

looks good man... looking forward to see everything finished
Old 08-16-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Tint the OEMs
Old 08-16-2009
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get your panties in a bunch over alpha. He only comes here when he wants to sell his stuff.
Old 08-17-2009
Registered!!

unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

v84lunch, save your breath and ignore the criticism. i think the black trunk and bumper looks good. it changes it up a little and its not the same as every other car out there. some people just dont understand that stupid comments like that make them sound stupid, especially when the **** they are criticising is **** that took a lot of time, work and patience to achieve. then again, the people that are criticising are also the same people that like to order something, and take 15 minutes to do the 'bolt on' that is required and call themselves anti-rice.

i like seeing this kind of stuff, i like the effort youve put into projects lately, and it the follow up pics after each step. and the smoke looks good btw.
Old 08-18-2009
Registered!!

Thanks for all the positive comments guys; especially Tuned, Helmet, and Gearbox. Also, thanks for the supporters of the project, looking forward to seeing the end result! Kudos to you guys, it's nice to know the majority of members are true enthusiasts with only a handful of idiots.

Even though the black kit is due to the gelcoat, now that I've got the *** end in the shape it's in I've got a good idea of how the car is gonna look in matte black.. I'm lovin it
Old 08-19-2009
Registered!!

westcali_playa is an unknown quantity at this point

haha that **** was funny tho
Old 08-20-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

nice man i always wanted to paint my car a satin black that ***** hot it reminds me of the old school rat roders . you should put some red rims on and a white wall tire that would be different for a civic. as for the altezza tails you just smoked i use to have those but i got rid of them because the light output was way to dull so with that tint you mite get cop problems.

Last edited by lowlife9; 08-20-2009 at 03:07 AM.
Old 08-23-2009
Registered!!

CoupedUp04 is an unknown quantity at this point

without reading the captions i thought the stock pictures looks the best. but i'm bias cause i really love th stock tails. not sure if it was the picture quality either. got any night pics, or with the lights on?
Old 08-24-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CoupedUp04
without reading the captions i thought the stock pictures looks the best. but i'm bias cause i really love th stock tails. not sure if it was the picture quality either. got any night pics, or with the lights on?
I don't have any night pics at the moment, but tomorrow I will shoot some with the lights on so you guys can see the clarity. I was actually suprised at how bright they are when you hit the brake. They look pretty dark but I think it's still bright enough to be safe when you're driving at night. I'm pleased with the outcome and they're holding me over until I dish out the cash for some aftermarket LED's.. More important stuff comes first though.. K20 swap *cough cough*