7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

key hole jamming

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blank008 is an unknown quantity at this point
key hole jamming

my girlfriend's 05 civic driver side key hole lock is starting to jam. i googled how to rebuild the lock, but i don't have the codes to do it, even if i bought the new tumblers and pins. so i was wondering, can i just switch out the trunk lock with the driver side lock? anyone have any experience with replacing/fixing a sticking lock? quotes from a local locksmith are about $200.

also, anyone know where i could buy an OEM 05 civic keyless entry kit? handa-accesories was the only place i could find the kit, but the product has been discontinued. thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: key hole jamming

first spray some silicone grease inside and see what happens.
Old 07-18-2009
Registered!!

blank008 is an unknown quantity at this point

we tried wd-40, and i think the mechanic/locksmith also sprayed some kind of lubricant in there. is "silicone" the keyword? i'll try that. thanks.
Old 07-18-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah silicone spray is an actual lubricant and it lasts for a long time. i spray it on anything thats stuck or not moving properly. fixed my squeaky window by spraying it in the side channels. sprayed the ignition lock cylinder, hinges, doors etc. works almost anywhere.
Old 07-18-2009
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by blank008
also, anyone know where i could buy an OEM 05 civic keyless entry kit? handa-accesories was the only place i could find the kit, but the product has been discontinued. thanks in advance.
you could always get an aftermarket alarm system put in if u don't already have one and then you would have keyless entry
Old 07-18-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The left and right locks have different #s. Trunk looks different from doors.

Crutchfield used to carry a keyless only system with a good range and price.
Old 07-18-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

white litheum grease ftw. my 94 legand trunk jammed all thr time because the lubricant dried up i just sprayed some white litheum grease in the hole and now its minty.

Last edited by lowlife9; 07-18-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2009
Registered!!

hypnotic20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny, now I just started getting this problem today.
Old 07-18-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i also noticed if you put pressure on the key while turning it jams try to ovoid any pressure .