7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rksmith2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
What to do?

OK so I know what I want for my civic style wise. I have 2004 Honda civic LX red. I love it. The thing is I want to put more power into it and I was wondering if you guys know what the most cost efficient way to get power into it. I want about 250-300whp. I know I won't be able to do that with the SOHC 1.7L unless I drop some serious cash. I was wondering if I could get it to that hp dropping about 3,000 into performance parts. Basically I'm thinking engine swap. I haven't ever tuned a car I've read a lot about it but I want to get into it. I know some guys in the area that are really good with hondas. Just looking for a path to go for the engine. So there is the k20a2 that I was looking at but thats pretty pricey. What about a b16 turbo? I don't know much about the b16 series. Thanks guys
Old 05-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all
Re: What to do?

wow i have so much to type but i dont really want to.

250-300? keep dreaming.

basically, with a budget of 3k, you will not get anywhere even remotely close to that whether you have a d17, b16. lets say you do go k20, youre typically looking at way more than 3k just for the motor itself which doesnt include installation or any work being done to it.

if you keep your d17, you MIGHT be able to get a BASE turbo kit, an installation, and a good tune and hit around 200ish hp with a stock motor. thats without redoing any of your engine internals. but dont hope for too much more than that. if you want to start getting to the 250-300 area, you will start having to upgrade internals, and be prepared to start spending a lot more than you think.

go to www.dezod.com and take a look at the turbo kits (these are pretty much the best base setups for a d17 you will find anywhere) but bang for their buck theyre definitely worth it. either way you will get an idea of what youre looking at spending.

just take my advice and go into the forced induction section and start doing research or youre going to get flamed left right and center for asking stuff like this on one of the biggest car forums on the net SPECIALIZED FOR YOUR CAR. everything you can imagine for information is on here. go look for it.
Old 05-18-2009
Registered!!

fiend is an unknown quantity at this point

how well do our cars hold up with the base dezod kit? i've heard of people messing up there trannies or snapping axles, but not with the base dezod kit right? they gotta be running 300hp+? just curious
Old 05-18-2009
Registered!!

baron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of lightbaron340 is a glorious beacon of light

Base dezod kit is good for at least 200 on a stock engine, and holds up well with a good tune and a standalone. But the turbo kit isn't really a limiting factor, its the cam first, then the bottom end. The cam just runs out at 225 ish hp. It just doesn't have enough lift to allow enough air for more power. I've seen this on a dyno. We had it at 10 psi hitting 200 hp, pushed the boost up to 12 lbs and only got another 12 hp, 13 psi only got to 220. Now with the addition of a cam and bottom end, the kit, I've read, is good for 300 or so before the log mani starts to choke it off. The turbo starts to get out of its operating range above that 300 mark too. As for snapping axles and trannies and stuff, that is probably due to poor driving more than the actual power.
Old 05-18-2009
Registered!!

fiend is an unknown quantity at this point

^word...i don't really know a whole lot about turbo's and what not, just a little about the basics, thats one of the reasons why i never really wanted to turbo mine cause i don't fully understand them, well, i wouldn't say understand them, i just haven't really read up on alot about turbo's. i don't wanna turbo my car and not know what component does what, plus this is also my DD and i need it for work so if anything did happen to it i'd be screwed...maybe one day though