7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2003 honda civic

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbofrank is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 honda civic

Hi,
Recently my wife's 2003 honda civic started making a weird noise , the noise seems to be coming from under the radio area ,and described as buzzing , clicking , like a relay or module freaking out, when the noise is present it last about 20-30 secs, and the DRL (daytime running light) in the dash flickers , this noise usually happens 3-4 times a week. Is the daytime module located under the radio area ? Anyone heard of such a problem before ? Any help would be appreciated . Thanks
Old 04-22-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2003 honda civic

The info is all here on the site we are just waiting on the... ANSWER ??

The control module is located (somewhere) on the drivers side and the noise is coming from behind glove box from a relay.

I saw pictures of the control unit once with poor solder around the coil connection leads on a relay(s) on the board. About a 30 second job to fix if you have a solder iron.

If someone has the fix for this common problem post it up please.
Old 04-22-2009
Registered!!

turbofrank is an unknown quantity at this point

If I understand correctly , the problem is not the relay but the module itself having a bad connection ?
Old 04-22-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, The picture I saw was the control module with the covers removed. There were 1 or more relays on the board and you could see the tell-tale "rings" in the solder around the connections for the relay's coil. The best method would be to wick off the old solder and apply fresh... but you could touch them up with some 60/40 rosin core. I would go ahead and do the connections for relay's switch contacts as well and examine the solder for the input plugs connector those types can develop rings.

I can't remember how many relays are on the board but I would resolder them all.

The module makes the DRL relay on passenger side chatter and that is what you are hearing.
Old 05-01-2010
Registered!!

Fishingbude is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok guys,

Re: 2003 Civic and Acura EL Canadian model

The buzzing noise came from behind the radio and DRL flickered. The DRL module caused the buzzing noise issues. To repair it:

Step #1 remove the lower portion of dash board plastics cover and fuse box cover just above the brake/clutch paddle (2 pcs).
Step # 2 after plastics cover removed, look right up you'll see 3 modules attached by 1 hex bolt. Use a socket #10 mm to remdove that bolt. Once bolt removed, lower all 3 modules. The DRL module is colour grey "daytime running light" stamped on it. Carefully unplug the connector. Remove DRL modue by undo another hex bolt from the bracket.
Now you have DRL out. Carrefully remove the lid of the module by using a small flat head screw driver and pop it out. When you have the lid out, pull out the PCB. You will see 2 little cubical black blocks soldered to PCB. On the opposit side, you'll see solder joints crack or rushty. Clean the joints off with a small screw driver and rags.
Step #3 use a 35 W soldering iron to resolder those joints.
Re-install the DRL back, the problem solved. If you stil have buzzing noise, check relays located behind glove box compartment.
Remove glove box holder bracket from each side of the glove box. There are many relays there. The DRL relays are the ones on your left hand side.
Any questions, do not hesitate to contact me

Wayne