7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto. Tranny: how to use D3 and 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JLcivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Auto. Tranny: how to use D3 and 2

Ive always used D3 and 2 to lower speed before braking, but how can I use D3 and 2 in order to accelerate faster or something? I don't want to experiment with that because I don't want to damage my tranny but if someone could tell me how to use it properly I would really apreciate it!,

Last edited by JLcivic01; 03-26-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-26-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Auto. Tranny: how to use D3 and 2

i hear civic automatic transmissions are not very dependable if i was you i would just put it in D and pimp or buy a standard .

Last edited by lowlife9; 03-26-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-26-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well, to keep the trans from unnescessary wear, you should never force the trans to shift by switching gear modes. the correct way is to use the mode BEFORE you will need to, like switching to D3 while stopped at a light and you know there is a hill up ahead. 2 is mostly used when you want to lock the trans in 2nd, mainly for icy roads because from a stop, the car gets going much slower when its not starting in 1st. also keep it in second when you are driving slow between 15-25 mph and you are changing speed alot, so the trans doesnt keep shifting down and up each time you drop below 20mph. otherwise for normal driving keep it in D, and if you drive in hilly areas where you need more power and higher revs, switch to D3.
Old 03-26-2009
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

are you allowed to shift from D down to D3 or 2 as u are in motion to accelerate better?
Old 03-26-2009
Registered!!

phil6006 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kcari
are you allowed to shift from D down to D3 or 2 as u are in motion to accelerate better?
I do that a lot while on the highway. When I can, I take my foot off the gas before shifting and then give gas again once it has shifted.

I see it as the same way as if you were in a manual transmission and shifted from 4 to 3.
Old 03-26-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i hear civic automatic transmissions are not very dependable if i was you i would just put it in D and pimp or buy a standard .

Last edited by lowlife9; 03-26-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

moving the shifter while driving is generally a bad idea, so is stepping on the gas to downshift but sometimes its unavoidable. letting off the gas while moving the shifter is worst of all. you want the trans to shift while under load and accelerating.
Old 03-26-2009
Premium Member

moving the shifter while driving is generally a bad idea, so is stepping on the gas to downshift but sometimes its unavoidable. letting off the gas while moving the shifter is worst of all. you want the trans to shift while under load and accelerating.
Old 03-27-2009
Registered!!

JLcivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice responses... thanks gearbox! we civic lovers can always count on you!
hope you get to see my civic when im done fixing some stuff in it... nothing special but Im getting it clean and nice (plus fixing with my mechanic a weird noise it has, used to be because of my front shocks but I changed them and now the noise is back not as strong as before). Maybe after that I can start with some light mods, hope you can help me through the process, hopefully we can stay in touch.
Old 03-28-2009
Premium Member

no prob man, here to help
Old 04-01-2009
Registered!!

lightningslp77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Auto. Tranny: how to use D3 and 2

Good Question.

Honestly brother I have had my 01 LX since 2005, and just like you I wondered "Hmmm if I'm driving in D and throw it in D3 what happens"

In your service manual it states that D3 was specifically intended for towing purposes ONLY...for the simple fact that it forces your transmission into a lower gear to pull heavier weight in and yes (around hilly areas). If you're pulling some serious weight or a trailer for some odd reason that's what you're supposed to be in.

Now if you're like me and you honestly just don't give a fizzuck you've probably driven down the highway and thrown it into D3 to pop into a lower gear to pass a car / to feel cool / or go "faster"

Mechanically, it's probably not a good idea to force your transmission into a lower gear on an automatic against its own will. However, I myself have had to dodge several idiotic californian drivers by throwing it into D3 to get around some guy.

I've been popping my car from "D" to "D3" (also known as the concept of overdrive in other cars) for the last 60,000 miles / 3 years aggresively to scoot around the highways and around town and have NOT had ANY mechanical problems whatsoever.

My transmission still shifts smoothly like the day I got it and I don't find any metal shavings in my oil or around the tranny to suggest it grinds gears or gives our honda transmissions any pre-normal wear then what a car should have at 60k miles. I replace the fluids in my car regularly and have had my transmission flushed at my 100k mark on my car and it still rides beautifully.

With that said I, nor any of my friends have found any mechanical reason to suggest that it's bad for your car. It's worked for me personally and has been reliable for several years. I guess to each his own, right?
Old 04-01-2009
Premium Member

good to know. im just scared with these new auto trans cause of all the problems and mine started slipping already at 50k so i try not to abuse it. you are lucky cause most of the 01-02 dont last very long. the owner manual also recommends flooring the gas to make the trans downshift and accelerate which is a really bad idea lol.
Old 04-01-2009
Registered!!

Agreed. Any jerking motion within the car or sudden jolts is enough to give anyone a second thought about throwing our trannys around like idiots.

If you've ever been in a vehicle and had the transmission "drop" on you...(Yes...literally drop to the ground while going 70 down a highway) it's not a very fun feeling and is very embarassing to anyone around you lol.
Old 04-01-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

You people should learn to drive an auto. Your suppose to mash on the gas when you want it to down shift. lol
Old 04-01-2009
Registered!!

yeah tried that...doesn't work.

despite your throttle being wide open that ecu won't always register it as a need to downshift.

there's been times i'm trying to merge onto the highway and a semi is following right up beside me and we're both running out of road and no sh**t throwing it into D3 and forcing the transmission to wake up and pop down a gear has given me the extra oomph to get around and keep my life.
Old 04-01-2009
Registered!!

KTciv_03 can only hope to improve

sorry but
Old 04-02-2009
Premium Member

i constantly fight with the trans to get it to do what i want lol. thats why alot of time i have to keep it in d3.
Old 04-02-2009
Registered!!

yeah same.

plus if ur dumb enough to have an exhaust kit on an automatic they sound tolerable lol.
Old 04-03-2009
Premium Member

im dumb, and yeah it sounds better in d3