7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

synthetic oil a waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: synthetic oil a waste of money?

Originally Posted by tbohar
All these oil threads drive me crazy..... lol... mainly because I don't care, my engine is protected with whatever oil I decide to use and synthetic is downright a complete and utter waste of money. My engine will last just as long as anyone here who uses synthetic, I don't care what tests say. The companies that run the tests get paid to modify the results anyway... seriously.. 55 dollars per oil change for oil is insane. The only advantage is you can run it a bit longer but even that I don't 100% believe in... You guys can flame me all you want for this but I think you are all giving your hard earned money to oil companies which is fine if that's what you want to do. I have 110k miles on my car with no oil related issues whatsoever and I go 8000kms inbetween oil changes with Dino oil... I've probably saved up enough money at this point to buy myself a new D17 as compared to those using top of the line synthetic. It's not like we race these cars. At least I don't. I do however drive it much harder than your average Joe.

LoL

haha all this bickering is fun man. this is what a forum is all about. i think the only things that drives me nuts is when people think they are pouring "synthetic" when its not due to miss/lack of understanding. thats all.

but yea, i have to agree with you on this. its a civic for goodness sakes. if you change ur oil routinely (say 3-5k) with decent oil that has no cockroach shells, you should be fine. extremely good chances are that a **** ton of other things are going to break before a problem thats caused by "fake synthetic oil"

i prefer maxlife (great UOA reports as well). it cost me $14 for 5qts and a pureone filter i buy on amazon for $5. i have 140 and have no engine problems.

and just for the record, all this is not flaming or derogatory to anyone. jsut some constructive discussion.
Old 05-09-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you it is constructive... I'm probably the least educated person in this thread when it comes to oil but I know where to put my money lol I use maxlife too it's good oil as far as I know... I used to use oil with cockroach shells and snails in it and my car still runs fine LOL

My friend had a Ford Tempo and he put 20 year old tractor oil he found in his dads garage in it and ran it like that for 2 years and it still didnt die... I think he smashed it up when he finally got rid of it...
Old 05-09-2011
Registered!!

pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
i think the only things that drives me nuts is when people think they are pouring "synthetic" when its not due to miss/lack of understanding. thats all.
You might be right but I doubt it. So to make it simple, prove that Mobil1 0w-40 is NOT a group IV oil. The same challenge goes for anyone here, prove that Mobil1, Penzoil Platinum, Valvoline, or any other synthetic oil is not a "real synthetic".
By the way I chose Mobil1 0w-40 since I use it in my lawn mower and lawn tractor
Old 05-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too Tall will become famous soon enoughToo Tall will become famous soon enough

plus with the sludge and stuff, there are just wayyyyyyyy too many variables to consider. if a person ran a true synthetic groupIV, and ran it for 15k+ before any kind of oil change and if he has a shitty filter (just throwing it out), it would cause a substantial amount of sludge as well.
Not true. Cheap filters don't cause sludge. Cheap oil does. Cheap dino oil breaks down much sooner than the full synthetics. Any oil will break down over time. But the extent of sludge formed is highly dependent on the actual formulation of base stock and additives.

Cheap air filters are usually paper, which filters better than other mediums, but clog up quicker. Cheap oil filters let more contaminate particles pass through and stay in the oil. Excessive metal particles in the oil, for example, does not cause oil break down but will cause more wear in areas of load bearing / friction surfaces.

It is possible excessive amounts of sludge can cause any filter to clog up. However, the cheap filter will resist clogging longer because it lets more sludge pass through.

I have 2 different used oil analysis of the full synthetic Amsoil breaking down and loosing viscosity, but in one case the total mileage on the oil was twice, and the other 3 times the normal recommended oil change intervals for dino oil, and the cause of the break down was not related to the oil itself. In one case a breather valve on my Harley broke and sucked in too much air before I realized it. Too much oxygen can cause any oil to oxidize too soon. The other example, in a car engine, was when the oil level was allowed to drop too low. In both cases, no significant sludge built up, and thankfully, both problems were caught and corrected before any engine damage occurred.

Last edited by Too Tall; 05-10-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-10-2011
Registered!!

Too Tall will become famous soon enoughToo Tall will become famous soon enough

You might be right but I doubt it. So to make it simple, prove that Mobil1 0w-40 is NOT a group IV oil. The same challenge goes for anyone here, prove that Mobil1, Penzoil Platinum, Valvoline, or any other synthetic oil is not a "real synthetic".
By the way I chose Mobil1 0w-40 since I use it in my lawn mower and lawn tractor
If you want to prove it, you are going to have to pay a lab to analyze them for you. You can use the recommended oil change interval and cold pour point as a good comparison.

Last edited by Too Tall; 05-10-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-10-2011
Registered!!

pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Too Tall
If you want to prove it, you are going to have to pay a lab to analyze them for you. You can use the recommended oil change interval and cold pour point as a good comparison.
I agree. And for those not familiar, this is not a $30 Used Oil analysis type of test but thousands of dollars for a complete analysis. The last I heard of private individuals doing this was years ago when the members of Bobistheoilguy first discovered German Castrol (Castrol Syntec 0w-30 that is made in Germany, imported to the US and sold at AutoZone) and it was giving such good UOA's that the members contributed to have a full analysis done. GC turned out to be a group IV at a time when Castrol's other Syntec oils were group III.

I don't disagree with sl33pyriceboi that most oils are not 100% group IV and most things he has said I agree with. The point I would like to make is that base stock is only part of the equation. If Mobil1 or Amsoil changed to a blend of 75% group IV and 25% group III but with a superior add pack the oil may outperform a 100% group IV oil. A few of us may find oil interesting but many people reading this don't have the desire to learn about oil they just want to know "what is the best oil". Mobil1, Penzoil Platinum, Amsoil, Royal Purple and others are excellent oils. I don't want people to feel they have to find Motul or it is not worth it when thay can find great deals on the oils mentioned above.

One last comment. I chose Mobil1 0w-40 for my example because it meets European standards and as such is thought to be one of the "best" versions of Mobil1. One of the things that made me a believer in synthetic oils was how they performed in air cooled engines. I don't always get down to the country to cut grass so when I do it is often pretty high. The lawn mower and lawn tractor run very hot due to the load and I used to have to change oil 2 or 3 times a season. With Mobil1 0w-40 I go all season and when I drain it in the fall it still looks good.
Old 10-25-2014
Mpr
Registered!!

Mpr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my name is Marco and if somone can help me that will be perfect I don't know why my 2014 civic si make me change the oil 3 times since I buy the car now the car have 10504 miles and my oil is only 50% good went it go to 10% is a oil change I don't understand I have synthetic since I buy the car and I do my oil change at the honda how is this ok went my ex on her corolla with synthetic get almost 10000 miles per oil change
Old 10-25-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mpr
Hi my name is Marco and if somone can help me that will be perfect I don't know why my 2014 civic si make me change the oil 3 times since I buy the car now the car have 10504 miles and my oil is only 50% good went it go to 10% is a oil change I don't understand I have synthetic since I buy the car and I do my oil change at the honda how is this ok went my ex on her corolla with synthetic get almost 10000 miles per oil change
The system doesn't count off miles as much as it watches HOW you drive and the conditions you drive in to judge oil life.

Someone who drives all interstates might be allowed to go 10,000 miles or more.
Someone who drives all super short trips without ever getting the engine completely warmed up might only get to go 3000 miles.
Old 04-08-2015
Registered!!

Mutato is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm hopping in on this with my 2007 Honda Civic Si sedan with 206,000 miles:

Non synthetic oil changed approx. every 6-7K miles (using the car's maintenance minder light).
Old 04-08-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mutato
I'm hopping in on this with my 2007 Honda Civic Si sedan with 206,000 miles:

Non synthetic oil changed approx. every 6-7K miles (using the car's maintenance minder light).
I thought the maint light comes on steady at 5k miles?
I think I read in another post the synthetic oil usually gets better gas mpg. How has your mpg been?
i'vi've been running syn blends, whatever wally world has on sale.
Old 04-08-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmiley
Not on a maintenance minder system.
Old 04-09-2015
Registered!!

Mutato is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bsmiley
I think I read in another post the synthetic oil usually gets better gas mpg. How has your mpg been?
i'vi've been running syn blends, whatever wally world has on sale.
I believe it varies based on your driving conditions. I mainly do highway and get approx. 29 mpg. Also stick to regular gas. So all the doomsayers saying your engine's going to blow can come drive my 200K+ Honda.

Same also applied to my 175K VW GTI I owned prior to getting my Honda.
Old 04-10-2015
Registered!!

honda200192 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say because are Honda Civics have a conventional simple engine conventional oil would do just fine.and about your oil turning black within 200 miles that's false...I change my oil in my Civic every 3000 miles and I can go 2000 miles and my oil still looks the same when I get to like 2800 almost 3,000 miles that's when it gets darker.but really synthetic oils were designed for high performance engines because high performance engines burn hotter and they run hotter so they need an oil that's going to stand up to that kind of heat. now if you had a high end car like Lamborghini or Porsche then I would say use a fully synthetic motor oil because those engines in those cars are high performance but in a little Civic 4 cylinder a conventional oil is going to do just fine. and people who claim to say their engines run smoother with a full synthetic motor oil I think it's all psychological. in your mind you feel like you have a high performance fully synthetic motor oil so you're thinking well I'm going to get more power more torque better fuel. And your mind starts to make you think what you want to think. I run a premium conventional 5w20 Valvoline motor oil and I get like 37 miles to the gallon on the freeway doing about 65mph -70mph. as long as you change your oil and filter at appropriate intervals any oil is going to do its job any oil is going to protect your engine even the three dollar bottles at Walmart
Old 06-23-2015
Registered!!

edmcohen is an unknown quantity at this point

Update: The `06 Civic now has 277,000 mi, Barely any oil burning. Transmission fine. Credible evidence that these measures work!