7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PROBLEM Check Engine Light, Battery Light, Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black02seavik will become famous soon enough
PROBLEM Check Engine Light, Battery Light, Speedometer

So i decided to go to a party with my girlfriend and three of my buddies from the marines. I took DD that night. we all stopped by the gas station and bought crap load of beer and put it in my trunk, That and a full house of people in the car made my car heavy and sag like a bitch. As i was coming out I hit a big *** bump as i was coming out from the gas station. I hit my catback, it made a clunk and grinding noise. Bad enough for the people in my car to all scream out "OOOOHHHH".

As i was driving i noticed my check engine light and my Battery light was both on and a little while i saw that my speedometer stopped working. Everything else was fine. So this morning i ran couple of troubleshooting. and got the problem fixed.

SOMEHOW my alternator fuse was blown. Red 10amp fuse located underneath the steering wheel fuse box. After i replaced that i noticed that my check engine light was still on. So i took out the positive side of the battery about 20 seconds and when i started my car again problem fixed.

This is for all the newbies like me freaken out cause everything indicates wrong on the cluster. dotn freak out and check the alternator fuse first. I hope this saves somebody going to a mechanic to get it fixed.
Old 10-28-2008
Registered!!

d17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of light
Re: PROBLEM Check Engine Light, Battery Light, Speedometer

Originally Posted by black02seavik
So i decided to go to a party with my girlfriend and three of my buddies from the marines. I took DD that night. we all stopped by the gas station and bought crap load of beer and put it in my trunk, That and a full house of people in the car made my car heavy and sag like a bitch. As i was coming out I hit a big *** bump as i was coming out from the gas station. I hit my catback, it made a clunk and grinding noise. Bad enough for the people in my car to all scream out "OOOOHHHH".

As i was driving i noticed my check engine light and my Battery light was both on and a little while i saw that my speedometer stopped working. Everything else was fine. So this morning i ran couple of troubleshooting. and got the problem fixed.

SOMEHOW my alternator fuse was blown. Red 10amp fuse located underneath the steering wheel fuse box. After i replaced that i noticed that my check engine light was still on. So i took out the positive side of the battery about 20 seconds and when i started my car again problem fixed.

This is for all the newbies like me freaken out cause everything indicates wrong on the cluster. dotn freak out and check the alternator fuse first. I hope this saves somebody going to a mechanic to get it fixed.
usually when you blow a fuse its for a reason... fuses dont just go... that is the purpose of a fuse.. to prevent too much voltage or too little getting to your pcm/ecu....i think your alternator is shot and is not giving enough voltage... so i guess if you cant replace the alternator yourself you are going to need a mechanic... LOL
Old 10-28-2008
Registered!!

d17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of lightd17civickid is a glorious beacon of light

oh and by the way i learned the hard way and fried my ecu... if you have over 80k mi and you fry it you pay out of pocket...
Old 12-20-2010
Registered!!

alison426 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just found this thread, and wanted to say the same thing happened to me (minus the gas station part) - I replaced the fuse under the steering wheel and reset the battery, and the speedometer started working again / both the check engine and battery light went off.

Thanks for the post! You saved me a trip to the mechanic.
Old 03-24-2012
Registered!!

richman1966 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: PROBLEM Check Engine Light, Battery Light, Speedometer

Thanks i had the same problem, I had just replaced my 5speed Transmission and a couple of days after the engine light, battery light came on and the speedo stopped working. Well i was passing autozone so I stopped and had them read the codes, ECU failure and a couple of o2 sensor codes. So I was about to order an ECU, when i read this, So thanks very much. replaced the fuse and it returned to normal. What I think happened was, that morning i had removed the speedomter from the transmission because I had a leak I disconnected the coneector but did not disconnect the battery, I can only guess that the system is that sensitive.

Anyways thanks so much to everyone.
Old 10-05-2012
Registered!!

L82theGame is an unknown quantity at this point

Wish I would have seen this yesterday. I just replaced my alternator, car wouldn't start because I killed the battery when my car died. So I replaced the battery. Everything is good except the lights are still on and the speedometer still doesnt work. Guess I should have just got a fuse and still need too. Off to the store!!! SMH!! I hate wasting money!