7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HID problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danoh2 should not be trusted
HID problem

Hey guys, i just received my HID kit in the mail and hooked it up everything fit great and when I reconnected the battery and turned the lights on the low hid's beam didn't work but my regular highs worked fine??? I've read tons of DIY and watched vids on it. It seems that i've done it properly. Is there anything i could be doing wrong?? My car is an 02 civic lx coupe and i got the H4 (9003) 8000K.
Old 10-20-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HID problem

what did the kit come with? you need a new wire harness with thicker wire, cant use the stock one. and make sure you wired it correctly. h4 bulb harness connector has three wires, constant 12v power, and two floating grounds.
Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=180295050942

Thats the link to the kit. But it was basically just plug and play. Thats why i don't understand how its not working.
Old 10-20-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

does it have an actual relay wire harness? or just whats in the pic. that doesnt look plug and play at all. the stock wiring cannot handle that much amps for the hid ballast to warm up. thats why you need a new harness with relay that draws power from the battery with thicker wires so the ballasts both start up and stay on til the bulb warms up and then the power drops down to 35w each. also you are in canada, so more than likely the DRL daytime lights interfere with the hid kit. if you have 01-03 civic, or any car where the DRL shares the same bulb as the lo beam, you need to disable the system by pulling out both drl fuses from the fusebox.
Old 10-20-2008
Premium Member

here is what a properly wired hid system should look like.

Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

Yeah what you see in the picture is all that it came with. You may be correct about the relay harness because i have seen it in other applications but from what i got out of it my kit is suppose to work with out it. My wiring diagram shows the relay as an option. Anyway if this is the case would it be possible it is just the DRL that is causing the problem?
Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

CDN-Retard is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem (01 Si). You need relays for sure.

Also, I don't have DRL at all anymore. I don't know if its b/c my mechanic bungled it but i only have low beams.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the relays are fairly easy to install. Just disconnect everything first or electric tape everything up if you're a noob like me.
Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

supafil25 will become famous soon enough

i had the problem too
i just flipped the plug going into the ballast and it works fine
Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

Really?? I thought about doing that but i was worried i might blow something. Did you need to pull the DRL fuse out like some of the other guys have?
Old 10-20-2008
Premium Member

if you have separate hi beams and lo beams, the drl is fine to leave working. if it uses the spot where hid bulb is, it will kill the hid cause they can't run at 1/2 power. most aftermarket ballast have polarity reversal protection so switch the plug and see what happens.
Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

i have an 02 as well and my hid kit looks very similar to that one. i installed it plug and play, didnt do any modifications, didnt use relays or anything. i had no problems at all and it works just fine and ive had it for almost 3 years.

im just wondering now what you mean by 'low beams' are you talking about your daytime running lights? im confused with your terms.

your 02 will have 3 different lights. there is drl (when you turn the vehicle on), there is your nighttime headlights (when you turn your headlight switch on), and there are your high beams (when you push or pull on your headlight switch or whatever). all 3 are different brightnesses. Which one(s) are not working for you?

with your regular stock bulb, it has two filaments. the first filament lights your drl and your high beams, and the 2nd filament lights your evening headlights. that hid kit only has one filament, and therefore only accomodates your evening headlights. the 2nd filament does not exist in your hid kit so you will not get your drl or your high beams. so in other words, when you turn your vehicle on, you will not have any lights. you wont have any lights in the daytime and you wont have any lights if you were to try and use your highbeams to flash someone for example. the only time you will have lights is when you actually turn your switch to turn your headlights on. they are all you need. it might not sound that great, but its fine. drl in my opinion are useless, and high beams are only useful if you are trying to flash someone since your hid kit is more than bright enough for the road.
Old 10-21-2008
Registered!!

No my problem was, my highs and lows are run of the same bulb and in the kit i got the low beams are HID, and on the same unit there is a little bulb off the side which is the high beams and these worked fine. Just not the HID's (low beam).

But you guys gave a lot of good advice, i have several things to try tonight if i have time. I'll try switching the plug first off and that would be an easy fix, but if not i'll take a look at the DRL fuses. I guess if that all fails i'll have to get a relay harness.
Old 10-23-2008
Registered!!

ya i have the same bulbs

just flip the plug into the ballast
youll be surprised
Old 10-24-2008
Registered!!

Yeah thats all it was, just fliped the plug going into the ballast. Do they ever look sexy, i got the 8000k, they're a little bit more blue then i thought but i like them. Now my fogs look horrible, maybe a new kit for those as well........
Old 10-24-2008
Registered!!

01candycivic is a jewel in the rough01candycivic is a jewel in the rough01candycivic is a jewel in the rough

my kit was for the high and low beam. The problem I had was they sent me the wrong kit so had to make a new harness. There is a bunch of kits on ebay was your kit high and low. Cause i the single does not have a magnet that sucks the bulb in an up. Maybe that will help
Old 10-24-2008
Registered!!

linco is an unknown quantity at this point

I just installed the same kit yesterday night. HIDs didn't power on, but I'll try the flip procedure today, my Relay is also in so I'll report back.
Old 10-24-2008
Registered!!

i got 10000k blue bulbs very nice
Old 10-24-2008
Registered!!

linco is an unknown quantity at this point

the relay fixed the hids this afternoon. But now I only have high beams on one side lol. maybe time for some wire splicing?
Old 03-29-2016
Registered!!

sohc03civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello so I have the same problem. I switched the polarity on my hid kit and they turned on, But know my lights flicker, I bought warning cancellers thinking that would solve my problem and they still ficker, can anyone help me thanks