7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Ask Me About DIY Stuff V2!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough
Re: Ask Me About DIY Stuff V2!

+1 gear for the find.

Still haven't decided which I would rather do. If I can get a hold of the manual rack for cheap, I will have my shop throw it in when they do my suspension. If I end up getting a motor swap instead, I will just figure something out. Atleast this is a better alternative to cutting the belt. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2009
Registered!!

DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Gearbox,

I have question, Well i cant remember the power door lock work wen the engine is on but I think it did!? If I push a lock button inside the car wen the engine is on it closses. Wen i am just out of the car with the key power locks
work just fine.
Old 03-27-2009
Registered!!

mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough

Maybe I misunderstood but are you saying that when the engine is running, you can not unlock the doors but when you use the key on the out side everything works correctly? Do you have any aftermarket alarms or remote starters or anything like that?
Old 03-28-2009
Registered!!

DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light

My englisch writing is not so good so yeah you misunderstood.No aftermarket alarms,
remote starter nothing on the car, just standaard powerlock and alarm.
So engine is off and car is closed, I push buttons on my key to unlock doors then i get in
the car start the engine! Now i want to close the car whyl engine is on. I push lock button on my key, doors dont lock, but if i push the door button they lock.
Should the car key button lock the doors wen the engine is on? all the rest works fine but i cant remember if i did or not.
Old 03-28-2009
Registered!!

BoneStOck_176 is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay this may have been asked before. I'm building a 99 ex 5sp. It's my 4th car but first build and I'm having trouble with the shift boot. Funny I've managed to install the entire interior but the boot is killing me. Do I use an adhesive ? Are There bolts involved or screws I'm not aware of. I considered epoxy but I don't wanna mess up and have to get a new shift boot. Also I recently realized my oil pan leaked all it's oil content. Before I realized this Id try turning it on and I'd get a ticking sound. (similar to when the batterys dead) car won't turn on, but electricity works (sunroof,lights, etc)idea
Old 03-28-2009
Registered!!

Ftw ddp
Old 03-28-2009
Registered!!

DD post
Old 03-28-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

for the keyless entry, its completely normal. when engine is on, the oem remote is disabled.

im not sure on the shift boot, usually there is a trim ring that holds it down. if the car isnt starting and you hear clicking, thats just the relay. you prolly have a bad battery or one that is too low to start the car, but high enough to power smaller accessories.
Old 03-28-2009
Registered!!

thx gearbox that was what i wanted to know.
Old 04-18-2009
Registered!!

amexicancarguy is a glorious beacon of lightamexicancarguy is a glorious beacon of lightamexicancarguy is a glorious beacon of lightamexicancarguy is a glorious beacon of lightamexicancarguy is a glorious beacon of light

I have a quick question for you all. How hard is it to paint stuff like my grill or side skirts myself. Just sand. paint, clear coat? am i just better off taking it somewhere?
Old 04-18-2009
Registered!!

It depends on how well you can paint. You will never be able to paint match anything, even if it's a brand new car. If you want to save money and can paint fairly well and don't mind an exact match, go for it. Otherwise, I would wait til you get every part you want the same color as your car and have them done at one time, saves money having more then 1 piece. The grill is easy to paint so you should have no problems painting that yourself.
Old 04-18-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah without a hi pressure paint gun, the finish will not look the same as the rest of the car. and clearcoat in a can is not great either. alsacorp makes an excellent two part clear coat that you activate and mix inside the can, and it also has a hi pressure nozzle. but it costs quite a bit and you must use it all within 3 hrs of activation. awesome stuff tho.
Old 04-18-2009
Registered!!

speedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of light

not really a diy question but.. im going from a 55w fog light bulbs to 80w bulbs. will this produce more heat? my fogs already get hot as it is... i also have a 30a fuse. its the ebay kit. people r recommending to lower it to 15a. Should i?
Old 04-18-2009
Registered!!

If the lights came with 30 and you are looking to upgrade to a 80w bulb you will need to increase the fuse. As for the heat, yeah the 80w's will put off significantly more heat and unless the housing is made of glass/metal, which I doubt it is, you may have problems but you should be alright. I have never heard of 80w bulbs soI have no clue how hot they get.
Old 04-18-2009
Premium Member

i would not recommend 80w lol. thats way too hot and if the lens gets even one drop of water on em, they will shatter. and your harness i dont think will support that high. you need a whole new one with thicker gauge wire AND higher rated fuse. never upgrade the fuse without upgrading the wire thickness unless you like to start fires.
Old 04-18-2009
Registered!!

speedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of light

ugh.. i didn't look closely to the description of these nokya yellow bulbs! i guess its going up on the fs section
Old 04-18-2009
Registered!!

i reread the description. it says
Output wattage: 80w Consume wattage: 55w
Old 04-18-2009
Registered!!

I don't know what size wire comes with that kit but I couldn't imagine lower then 12awg and i thought that supported up to 40amps. Plus I thought oem replicas had a housing on the outside of the lens so would it still have the same problems?
Old 04-18-2009
Premium Member

the nokyas should work they are only 55w.
Old 04-21-2009
Registered!!

gowen should not be trustedgowen should not be trusted

Is there a way to have the power windows work with the key in the ACC position?
Old 04-21-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, there is. http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6586
Old 04-21-2009
Premium Member

not really a great idea, for security reasons. thats why its not wired like that on any car from the factory. and aside from easy theft, if something goes wrong with the switch the window could open by itself when youre not around. ive had that happen before where it got stuck in open mode, but luckily the window didnt open by itself til i turned the car on.

Last edited by gearbox; 04-21-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-21-2009
Registered!!

If you have an aftermarket alarm, most companies offer window roll-up/down with the remote along with auto roll up when you shut the car off and allow it to be controlled with the key in any position. You can also get these kits for factory alarms as some are stand alone. I feel your pain tho, sometimes I shut the car off and listen to music and then have to turn it back to on after I realize the window was left cracked. Sounds like laziness, but the alarm I have leaves the acc position on for 10 mins after I remove the keys and I would like to be able to roll the windows up during that time instead of pulling the keys back out.

How is the other post a bad idea gear? I never would have thought of window control to be a huge security problem. Yeah it sucks if the control gets stuck trying to move the window even after you let go of the button but I can't see any harm in it. I'm gonna try and read the other post for extra details.

EDIT: Alright I see what that post was saying and I agree with gear that that may not be the best idea but wiring it from ON to ACC should be of no problem. It should be a simple wire as there is a module, in the driver's side door i believe, that controls all the windows in the car, except the sunroof, and should be powered by the ON position. Simply connecting this wire to the ACC wire of the ignition should be adequate but I am unsure as I have not done it before and haven't played with anything but 6th gens.

Last edited by mrplow123456; 04-21-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2009
Premium Member

the window motor uses alot of power so make sure you figure out the wiring. the way oems do it is there is a delay on the power window relay that keeps it powered up even if you remove the key. but for security, it cancels off as soon as the door is opened. there are different variatons, some only keep the relay active in acc position. now if you are just wanting to wire them to work in acc position, i honestly do not see the point if it takes 1 second to turn the key to ON and roll the window.
Old 04-22-2009
Registered!!

mexSican2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

My car was stolen and i now need to put the interior back together (seats, gauges, center console ect) where would i get all the damn screws to put everything back. A local hardware store??? Please help.
Old 04-22-2009
Premium Member

unfortunately, dealer is prolly gonna be the only place. those are special clips i havent even seen at the auto store. some you can buy for cheaper in bulk online. www.handaaccessories.com go to the maint section if you have 01+ civic.
Old 04-22-2009
Registered!!

I checked and they really don't have any screws on there. I have a 2000 si do you think that they would be pricey? Thanks for the help. Oh and another question, are jdm engines harder to pass smog or what? If they don't what then?
Old 04-22-2009
Registered!!

Ok gear I got one for you first. I just tried replying to the previous post and got an error message saying:

"Your sumbmission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occuried unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you recieved this error."

So yeah.

Anyways Mexsican, I would check a local junkyard for all your screws and clips and anything you might need. You may have to take screws out of several cars in order to get all the ones you need but you should be able to find enough. As long as you know how to remove and install all your interior pieces, it should be pretty easy to get them all. I got around 20 screws for the center console and lower dash for a whole $1.

As for the jdm engines, yes, it's usually because of smog issues. However, some states have very low emissions and you can usually do a swap with just using a handful of the parts already on your car, good luck doing this in CA though lol. You could also use it as a track only car and not have to worry about emissions.

Most USDM cars have a charcoal canister and several other devices to lower emissions, however, jdm cars do not have such devices and things like your fuel filter and cat are a lot less restrictive on jdm cars.
Old 04-22-2009
Premium Member

most jdm engines start knocking unless you use premium, and often pollute more than usdm engines. not sure about your token issue lol. all i get is connection error messages.
Old 04-23-2009
Registered!!

mrplow123456, thanks for the info it's greatly appreciated. Damn I don't know what to do then (about the motor) this one guy on craigs list is offering to sell a b16 complete changeover and install it for 2,400. It's a jdm engine though. So which would u guys preferr jdm, or usdm?????

Quick Reply: Ask Me About DIY Stuff V2!