7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

10k oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 10k oil change?

some people travel alot for business.
Old 08-10-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice

Originally Posted by gearbox
some people travel alot for business.
Yeah, but that's really a lot. I thought it might be a typo...
Old 08-11-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
botmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rednwhite04
I do change my fluids religiously, why not? I change radiator fluid in the spring and fall and MTF every 5-6 oil changes. My brakes get bled all the time because they are wilwood 4 pistons and i'm trying to make sure they are always 100%. Hell i'd prolly do my PS too if I still had it

IMHO what you're doing is unnecessarily frequent maintenance but it's your prerogative how you spend your time and money. The OP was inquiring about whether 10K mile oil changes are reasonable. That's what Honda recommends (subject to the caveats in the manual) so that's what I do.

BTW the days of regularly scheduled maintenance are ending. Industry (not dealers though, for obvious reasons) is moving to "predictive maintenance" because it's more effective use of resources (maintenance supplies, manpower, loss of use of the item being maintained etc) and lower cost.

Predictive maintenance determines when something requires maintenance based on its monitored usage instead of simplistic time and mileage rules. Honda's OLM is an implementation of predictive maintenance taking into consideration such things as number of starts, engine temperature, cumulative revolutions, elapsed calender time, etc. and it seem like 10K miles is the average. Drive hard when the engine is cold and your OCI will be shorter, drive smoothly in moderate weather and you'll generally go longer before needing an oil change.

OLM has been proved out by Honda engineers and Honda is willing to stand by it in the face of warranty liabilities. I'll bank on that before I bank on anecdotal, unscientific and unempirical reasoning.

For those distrusting the "new" technology, predictive maintenance is not new, it's only "new" to the general public.