7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

whistle sound, anyone know wtf this is?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all
whistle sound, anyone know wtf this is?

Ok, this just happens at random times and it's been happening a lot more lately, it seems to be the worst (I think) when I first turn the car on after it has been off for the night. Anyway, when I just turn the car on without the stereo or heat or a/c, I don't hear anything.

Once I turn on the stereo alone, I hear this high pitch sound like a whistle and it seems like it's coming out of the speakers I'm pretty sure. The louder I turn the music up, the louder it goes as well. Sounds simple, but it's not. It gets a bit more complicated.

If the stereo is on and I have that whistle going, and I turn on the heat or a/c even one little tick, the whistle gets way louder. Now if I turn off the heat or a/c, it goes a little quieter again.

If I turn on the heat or a/c alone without the stereo, I get the whistle....and if I turn on the stereo at the same time, again it gets way louder. So it seems like either one alone will cause the whistle, but both together make it way louder.

The worst part is that the whistle goes way louder with higher rpms. So in other words stereo or heat alone = loud ... stereo + heat = really loud ... stereo + heat + accelerating or even driving = want to rip your own face off loud.

the only thing I can possibly think of, is when I installed this deck, I know that I accidentally wired the power constant and power ignition wires backwards (red to yel and yel to red instead of r to r and y to y) so the deck doesnt keep a memory when I shut the car off. I'm not sure if those wires have anything to do with it though.....

anyone? any idea?
Old 07-23-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: whistle sound, anyone know wtf this is?

sounds like classic alternator whine to me. check and upgrade all your engine ground wires, then upgrade the constant power for the deck and the ground too. run them straight to battery.
Old 07-24-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

what do you mean upgrade the constant power for the deck and the ground too? theyre both coming out of the deck and connecting to the harness i have connected to my factory harness.

are you saying detach them from that harness and run each of them straight to the battery? or what? im not sure i follow...

and is there somewhere i can read up on where to find all of the factory ground wires? i read one post on here but it was from way back in 2003, and that guy said there were 5...is that right?

passenger side chasis to negative battery
negative battery to engine
engine to transmission
engine to motor mount
motor mount to driver side chasis
Old 07-24-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

u got booooooost while dreaming
Old 07-24-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

theres one ground between engine and radiator support, one from battery (-) to chassis, and one from that same chassis point to the transmission. so really only two cables. for the deck, yeah cut the power and ground from the stock harness and run them directly to the battery with larger gauge wiring like 14-16ga
Old 07-24-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Hey dude, if you want to swing by my place I can fix it for you. It's called a ground loop, search Google for it. The Source By Circuit City even sells a RCA cable called a Ground Loop Isolator for $20 that will remove most of it. I had exactly the same thing, no whine without stereo, some whine with and lots with the air conditioning.