7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

DIY: Fiberglass Door sill mold

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008
skate or die

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all
DIY: Fiberglass Door sill mold

Created a mold. Not too sure how it will turn out, but I will keep progress posted. Easy DIY, just time consuming, and you have to be very careful on finishing the final layers.

I was going to use superglue as the genral adhesive prior to final layers, but then talked to gearbox about it. I'll worry about crossing that bridge once I get to that road.

Final goal is a carbon fiber door sill. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, but this is a quick and easy diy at home.

Tools Required:

resperator protection mask
rubber gloves
blue painters tape
mold removal wax*
plastic wrapping
fiberglass resin
hardener
mixing container
fiberglass cloth
resin applicator
popsicle stick/ mixing stick
two paintbrushes - one might harden
aluminum foil

First thing I did was clean the surface of the object. Then I put plastic wrap down to cover the side skirt and seat/interior. The end result will have only the plastic door sill visible.

Second I laid blue painters tape on top of the door sill. Three layers of tape works well to keep resin from bleeding through. After tape is laid down I waxed the surface, and laid aluminum foil down, using more tape to secure it to the surface. Once this is done and smooth I apply wax on the foil. The mold removal wax helps the resin pop out of the foil/surface. If you don’t have this car wax* can work, but you might be scraping some tape/foil off.

Once the area is taped off and foiled I prep for the mold. Using fiberglass cloth, I cut about 20 strips 3"L x 2"w, and one long strip the same size of the door sill. You can make more layers of fabric if desired. After the fiberglass cloth is cut, I begin to mix the resin.

In a container add resin and hardener. Using the directions on your resin container for mixing usually is best, unless you work with resin a lot. The more hardener you use, the faster your mold is going to dry.

After the resin is mixed, use a paint brush to gently apply resin to the initial fiberglass sheet. I laid the long single strip the size of the sill down first.

Working from left to right, slowly applying resin until the fabric becomes saturated, almost clear and transparent. Next I moved onto the single small sheets for the second layer, as well as the open spots, and curved edges.

Once you get the hang of it, you will notice you have fabric stuck to the whole surface. Take a little more resin and lay it on top of the whole door sill, and smooth it out with a plastic resin applicator. This will create a semi smooth, (sometimes alligator like) surface. Let this dry for 20-25 minutes.

Once it becomes tacky, and somewhat hard, prep to apply the final and second layer of resin. Take your time with this layer and lightly tap the tip of your paintbrush over the surface if you notice any air bubbles. Tapping them will make them go away. Use your resin applicator again to create a level and smooth surface. Allow the final layer to dry for another 30-40 minutes.

Once you are confident your mold is dry, gently remove the surrounding area of tape, and "pop" your mold from the door sill. I say "pop", because if you do it right you can take the mold out in one step. If not, you can lift the mold out of the door sill by using the aluminum foil underneath. Once you lift the mold out with the foil attached, you can peel the foil off from underneath the mold.

From this point, all you really need to do is trimming, and sanding. Right now mine is trimmed, and just got it's first sand. I'm sanding, then test fitting, sanding, fitting, sanding, fitting etc. Just to get the smoothest line, and fit.

I will create an official DIY thread if the end result comes out looking good. I will turn this one into a DIY for molds with pictures only, if one is not already made.

Last edited by Tragedy; 06-29-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: random diy project @ home

What's the mold for and how did you do it? I've been wanting to make a custom gauge pod and want to learn how to do this kind of thing.
Old 06-29-2008
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all
Re: random diy project @ home

It is a mold of our door sills. I'm going to use it for making carbon fiber sills. If the end product comes out looking good I will write up a mini diy with pictures. You can pick up a small repair kit @ napa that comes with all you need to get started on a door sill.

Last edited by Tragedy; 06-29-2008 at 12:03 PM.