7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

DIY: Driver Seat Rock

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
user 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of light
DIY: Driver Seat Rock

Driver Seat Rocking, How to Fix

Here’s what it looks like when your bushings are busted and cause your seat to rock.

Tools needed:
12mm socket
14mm socket
Flat Head
Philips Head

Parts needed:
Washer A 6; Part number: 90501-S3N-003
Bush A 6; Part number: 90502-S3N-013
Spacer 5 for 2001-2002 6 for 2003; Part number: 90503-S3N-003

First things first, if you have the stock radio make sure you have the anti-theft code for the radio, the write down the frequencies for the preset buttons.

Disconnect your battery and wait at least 3 minutes.

Go ahead and remove the plastic covers from the back and unscrew the bolts (14mm)

Once removed go ahead and remove the 2 bolts from the front.

Tilt your seat forward and push it back to reveal the plugs underneath the seat.

Once it is revealed go ahead and unplug. The gray plug has a little button to push and it removes. To remove the yellow grab the sides and it will slide up and then pop out.

When that is done and seat is removed. Car looks like this.

Here’s my seat out of my car.

Pull on the lever to remove it. Use a flathead to remove the cap of the height adjuster. Use the same flat head to push out the C pin in the adjuster and pull off at same time.

Once off use a Philips head and unscrew the screw.

The plastic piece is held in by a clip at the front, a hook in the middle and a plastic screw like thing at the back.

At this point I have my chair sideways and I remove the 3 nuts and do not discard like the TSB says because you will need them to put it back together. Go ahead and take note of the parts when removed as well as their position as you will replace those parts exactly how it came off.

At this point I removed the nut and the washer. Replaced the bushing. The silver part on the screw is the bushing.

I’ve replaced the bushing and put back the rail ontop. Placed the washer in place and put the nut back on. I have not tight it yet.

Remove the front piece. Replace the bushings in the outboard link.

Place the outboard link back in place. On the left side there is a spacer then a washer. On the right there is just a washer. Screw the nuts back on. If you have the chair on it’s side like how I did. Do not put the plastic piece back on till last so you don’t scratch it up.

Flip the chair over and remove the screw (14mm) holding the seat belt buckle. Careful as there is a collar, spring washer, and toothed lock washer underneath the seat belt buckle.

Flip the seat belt buckle over and out of the way. Remove the 3 nuts.

Once removed go ahead and do the same procedure on this side as done on the other side. The only difference is that for 2001-2002 vehicles the spacer for the inboard link is not put back thus you will have 2 spacers to use for the back screw. That is why I said 5 spaces for 2001-2002 models. 2 spacers on the outside and 3 on the inside.
For the back nut for the 2003 it says to discard the spacer on the back screw, then it says to install 3 spacers on the back screw. At this point you will be short 2 spacers. That’s why I noted earlier to buy 6 for 2003 models. 2 on the outside and 4 on the inside.

Once all that is done, go ahead and put the plastic piece back on on the outside part of the seat. Lever and the adjuster back on.
Once that’s done go ahead and put your seat back in the car. I kept my wires and the clips intact and put it back together the way I took it out like so.

Then I just bolt it all in place. Reconnect the battery.

Turn the ignition switch to ON(II) and check SRS. If indicator comes on for 6 seconds and turns off. You’re good. Stays on check for codes and troubleshoot.

If stock radio put back the anti-theft code in and set back the radio station presets.

Set your clock and any other setting which you had.

Check Step 25 in the TSB.

For 2001 2drs check step 26 in the TSB.

Link for TSB http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/2189650

I did this with my phone as my flash light and my camera beside me and the little if none at all light in the apartment garage.

Vwola! No more rocking chair. I know the rocking chair is nice but not in a damn car.

thought i'd take my diy i made and post it here too! I didn't see any diy on it. There is a tsb but diys i find more helpful.
Old 02-05-2008
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY: Driver Seat Rock

Originally Posted by oddmut

Vwola! No more rocking chair. I know the rocking chair is nice but not in a damn car.
Thats great.

Good DIY. Rep applied.
Old 02-05-2008
Banned

user 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of light

thank you thank you.
Old 02-05-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

sweet!

ill bet your car is an 01
Old 02-05-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Good stuff man! I've been rocking away for 3 years now so I may actually fix it now! +1 for you, well done DIY.
Old 02-05-2008
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 02BLKCIVIC
sweet!

ill bet your car is an 01
I bet its an 03!
Old 02-05-2008

I'm with Don on it being an '01. I have an '03 and my seats are different.
Old 02-05-2008
Registered!!

Look at his profile. Says 03.

You guys have coupes, Oddmut has a sedan. Could this be the difference?

Last edited by lordhelmet; 02-05-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: seats
Old 02-05-2008

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

i was just basing it off of his center consol in the 8th pic...
Old 02-05-2008
Registered!!

You could have a point there. I wouldnt be so interested in this normally but class is boring right now.
Old 02-05-2008

"I have an old center console..."

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...7-my-ride.html
Old 02-05-2008
Banned

i'll burst some of ur bubbles. it's an 03. LOL.

what's rep for? lol.

Last edited by user 92982; 02-05-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-05-2008
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

Awesome!
Old 02-05-2008
Registered!!

I'm not going to gloat or anything...
Old 02-06-2008
Registered!!

tred311 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an '03 that I took apart last weekend. I DID NOT disconnect the battery. I just unplugged everything and then plugged it back up when I was done. The SRS light is OFF. It does not light up for 6 seconds. It does nothing. I'm not even sure if I have an SRS light in the cluster. It's hard to tell if it's not lit up. Do I have a problem? Thanks!
Old 02-06-2008
Registered!!

**Update**

Nevermind.....light comes on for 6 seconds and then goes off. I was looking for an "SRS" light but it's just a little dude wearing a seatbelt that lights up. LOL. By the way, great DIY. Might I suggest just tightening up the nuts on those bolts first and not changing the bushings. When I took mine apart I found that the nuts were loose. I tightened them up and seat rock is no more. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2008
Banned

don't think you have a problem.

it's just a safety precaution i took and also that honda takes when unplugging your seat or disconnecting things.
Old 02-06-2008
Banned

Originally Posted by tred311
**Update**

Nevermind.....light comes on for 6 seconds and then goes off. I was looking for an "SRS" light but it's just a little dude wearing a seatbelt that lights up. LOL. By the way, great DIY. Might I suggest just tightening up the nuts on those bolts first and not changing the bushings. When I took mine apart I found that the nuts were loose. I tightened them up and seat rock is no more. Good luck!
cool no more rocking, but if you noticed the first picture of busted bushings? if you have those and you just tightened it, you're just doing a temporary fix which is not good. i replaced 2 ripped up bushings.

if the bushings aren't ripped then yeah go ahead and tighten but if they are, replace.
Old 02-06-2008
Registered!!

Ya know, before I saw your post I never even noticed the bushings. Wish I would have. I'm hoping that it will stay tight. If not, then I'll be doing it your way (the right way) LOL. Thanks man!
Old 02-15-2008
Registered!!

LaiBaka is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I get these parts from any auto store or do I have to go to a Honda Stealership?

How much do these parts altogether cost?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2008
Banned

Originally Posted by LaiBaka
Can I get these parts from any auto store or do I have to go to a Honda Stealership?

How much do these parts altogether cost?

Thanks!
I don't know if you can buy these from any auto store. you can check. they're EXTREMELY thin washers and bushings. go to http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/ they sell them all for around $50 or less. Go to the actually physical stealership and it's about $100. your choice.
Old 02-21-2008

Parts ordered for it today!
Old 02-21-2008
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold

damn speedfoos you got right on that
Old 02-21-2008

LOL - kind of. My seat has been rocking for 3 years now!
Old 02-26-2008
Banned

nice speedfoos. did you get the parts yet? how's the repair going?
Old 02-26-2008

Naw, parts aren't here yet. Hopefully they'll be here by Friday or Monday.
Old 02-26-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if the seats a rockin, dont come a knockin
Old 02-28-2008

Parts are here, going out to fix it now!
Old 02-28-2008
Banned

sweet keep us on the update!
Old 02-28-2008

Done and done, too easy. Couldn't get the recline handle off so I just moved that bit of moulding out of the way and it was fine. Thanks for the DIY man, it helped!

Quick Reply: DIY: Driver Seat Rock