7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

DIY: Driver Seat Rock

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY: Driver Seat Rock

what if one of your seat bolts is stripped...
Old 02-28-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the ones that hold it the body?
Old 02-28-2008
Banned

user 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of light

i would go purchase a new bolt to bolt it back in.
Old 02-28-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the car threads are stripped too. so if i can take the bolt out, i doubt a new one would go back in. happened from the last accident and the shop forced it on somehow, but now it wont come off and i have a feeling if it does, it will never go in tight again.
Old 02-28-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

I would pry up while backing the stock bolt out and then run a tap in there with the next bigger size thread and use a correspondingly sized new bolt.
Old 02-28-2008
Banned

user 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of light

it might cost money but possibly and maybe you can have some welder fill that slot with metal again and weld it into place and have them drill the hole for the bolt again.
Old 02-29-2008
Banned

Originally Posted by speedfoos
Done and done, too easy. Couldn't get the recline handle off so I just moved that bit of moulding out of the way and it was fine. Thanks for the DIY man, it helped!
didn't see this post but congrats and thanks!

i try to make diys that are extremely a-b and tell you what to do exactly. putting no guessing games behind it.
Old 04-03-2008
Registered!!

lewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by oddmut
I don't know if you can buy these from any auto store. you can check. they're EXTREMELY thin washers and bushings. go to http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/ they sell them all for around $50 or less. Go to the actually physical stealership and it's about $100. your choice.
can you tell me exactly what the part number is on the website? I'm not seeing anything described as a bushing that costs around $14 ($14 x 4= ~$50). Thanks
Old 04-04-2008
Banned

Hey lewel my DIY contains your answer. Here it is:
Parts needed:
Washer A 6; Part number: 90501-S3N-003
Bush A 6; Part number: 90502-S3N-013
Spacer 5 for 2001-2002 6 for 2003; Part number: 90503
Old 01-03-2009
Registered!!

DX5spd is an unknown quantity at this point

Will this work for an 05 i drove my moms and hers is doing it bad are part numbers the same.
Old 01-23-2009
Registered!!

vicaphit is an unknown quantity at this point

Any way to tell if I have a bad bushing without taking the seat out?

I just got my 05 civic about 2 months ago, and my only gripe is a rocking driver's seat! Great DIY, the only thing that would make it easier is if you highlighted the bolts and screws to remove with a red arrow or something. I am sure I can figure it out myself though.
Old 08-02-2009
Registered!!

monkeydave is an unknown quantity at this point

what size nuts are the ones on the hight adjust mechnism? 12mm ?? thanks
Old 08-09-2009
Registered!!

amoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vicaphit
Any way to tell if I have a bad bushing without taking the seat out?

I just got my 05 civic about 2 months ago, and my only gripe is a rocking driver's seat! Great DIY, the only thing that would make it easier is if you highlighted the bolts and screws to remove with a red arrow or something. I am sure I can figure it out myself though.

The write up was so good that some may not notice the reference link...

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2189650

Half way down links the Honda TSB Service Bulletin... Drivers Seat Rocks download link...

http://www.mediafire.com/?3ttvmn4ztu7

It has a good exploded parts diagram of everything, yet it can be a little confusing with all the talk of replacing perfectly good NUTS and discarding spaces then to replace some but not others then to add additional spaces... yesh, I had to reread the TSB 5 times to make sure I understood.

Of interesting note this is a known fault, yet if your out of warranty Honda says its up to the Dealer if they want to do you a favor.

Anyways, I know bushings can be stupid expensive, but as previously discussed if these replacement parts is going to run $50 or more I will have a discussion with Honda as thats not going to fly.

Again outstanding do it yourself how to post. The pictures and explaination was actually better then the TSB.

NOTE

I also did find a loose nut (outboard link) which upon tightening greatly improved seat stability from rocking BUT there was still some movement, however slight you know its there and as easy as this is, may as well fix it.

And as far as the battery thing goes, I had previously removed my 2003 Accord front passanger seat for cleaning, never thought much about the air bag when disconnecting, hell I even drove the car with out the seat being connected and never had an issue upon reconnecting the seat/side air bag.

So I already proceeded removing the Civic driver seat without unhooking the battery. I dont expect problems but to each there own.
Old 08-10-2009
Registered!!

jeremy9109 is an unknown quantity at this point

ugh yeah just started happening to me recently and i just bought my 05 lx in june!
Old 08-10-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

i just want to be sure i have the right 'rocking' motion. are you guys talking like the entire seat staying stationary and just tilting back and forth by like an inch? like when im accelerate it goes back then when i slow down it tips forward just a little? only like an inch in total...
Old 08-10-2009
Premium Member

yeah its about an inch of motion in the seat portion itself, not the whole chair moving.
Old 08-11-2009
Registered!!

unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

have you done this repair yet? i read something about yours being stripped or something, did you ever figure it out?

i checked the part numbers on majestichonda and it came to about $50 USD in total for the parts alone. not to mention they wont even ship to canada. how much did it cost you in total if you ended up doing it?
Old 08-11-2009
Premium Member

i did it, then the rocking came back a week later. i also fixed a stripped lower seat bolt thread while i had it taken apart.
Old 08-11-2009
Registered!!

so you basically wasted $50 to get it done and it didnt even really work?
Old 08-11-2009
Premium Member

nope didnt work. i even tightened other bolts around the chair that were not part of the diy. when i first put the seat back and sat on it, i was happy there was no rock at all. then after maybe 10-20 sits, i could feel it coming back slowly and now its the same as before. eventually ill just go aftermarket and not worry about it. i cleaned the old seat up alot too by removing all the nasty old grease and wiping everything down before assembling again with new stuff.
Old 08-12-2009
Registered!!

ugh that sucks. i never used to have it, and when my brother drove it for a few weeks i got it back and it was there. i kept thinking 'is it supposed to move like this? i dont think it was like this before...' then i finally decided i was crazy and that it was always like that, and thats how its designed. i never knew until i seen this diy.

i wonder if it happens to the passenger side evnetually too? anyone know?
Old 08-12-2009
Premium Member

prolly not, since only the driver side has the height adjustment. when you have the seat apart, its obvious the height adjustment mechanism is to blame. if i was good at welding and had equipment, i would just weld it in one position. no height adjust, but i never use it anyway. my passenger seat is solid.
Old 08-17-2009
Registered!!

monkeydave is an unknown quantity at this point

i took my seat out and had a look before i bought any bushes and washers and i found the bushes looked like new but one of the washers with the square centre had been put in wrong in the factory and i seated it correctly and put the seat back and no rocking seat, no money spent and i am very happy, thanks for your post on this and your detailed pics, i cant believe i put up with it for so long and it was such an easy fix, 15 mins tops
Old 08-26-2009
Registered!!

d0ughbOy81 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks i just ordered the parts
Old 08-27-2009
Registered!!

macaroni is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually like my rocking chair. I've gotten used to it over the past couple of years.
Old 09-04-2009
Registered!!

Hondan should not be trusted

Good info, how long does the fix last.
Old 09-05-2009
Premium Member

about 2 weeks
Old 12-06-2009
Registered!!

CLH2991 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anybody know if the passenger side uses the same bushings?

I'm going to have my own parts made, hopefully ones that won't fall apart. (Plus, it won't cost me $86.) If I don't have to spend the money to get one of each of the parts from Honda, that'd be even better.
Old 12-06-2009
Premium Member

i dont think the passenger side is anywhere near the same, since there is no height adjustment at all. this thing is driving me crazy, the rocking is getting much worse and even with the seat slightly reclined, i can rock back and forth nearly 2 inches! with the seat in full upright position, it only rocks about 1 inch but its affecting my driving. im about to just tear the thing out and get a new racing seat. if you know anyone with portable welding equipment, you can have them completely weld up the height adjustment mechanism (after you set it to your fav height). that way it will never move. or find the same seat from the LX model without height adjustments. i had the seat apart several times and i dont see how you can make a custom fix without completely changing the assembly of the seat.
Old 12-06-2009
Registered!!

CLH2991 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright, I'll have to bite the bullet and buy one of everything. The OEM bearings are made of aluminum, no? It's not a custom fix so much as having my own bearings made of a stronger material.

I need the height all the way down, so I'm not sure a seat without the adjustment would be a great option, as my head would be in the roof.

Welding the seat in place isn't something that I want to do, though it is something I might keep in mind.

Quick Reply: DIY: Driver Seat Rock