7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

high heat intake paint!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matteo will become famous soon enough
high heat intake paint!

hey guys, went to home depot and got some black high heat paint (resists up to 1200 degrees F

im hoping that it will reflect heat and help keep my intake cool

im wondering do i need to sand the weapon-r intake w/some light sandpaper first? or no...

also going to but some flexible rubber foam copper insulator tubes on my 2 heater tubes that go to the TB heater

i did a TB heater by-pass so the tubes dont heat up the TB, but the heat up themsleves and get really hot and are under my intake!!!

so I hope the these insulator tubes stop heat going everywhere from the TB heater hoses
Old 08-08-2007
Registered!!

Re: high heat intake paint!

the insulating foam tubes that are meant for plumbers insluating copper tubes

are rated at like 200 degrees F or so. I hope thats good enough to stand constant heat from the TB heater hoses
Old 08-08-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

do u really think ur intake gets hot enough to hurt performance or something?? really wat are u doing all that for.. i honestly dont see the point of all that but let me know.. sounds interesting if its for a good cause.
Old 08-08-2007
Registered!!

well i really need pics lol this is hard to explain but the reason i really want to do the intake thing is because of those TB heater hoses being so hot

like after i drive around and pop the hood my intake is hot lol like its hot to touch cuz the damn hoses : /

so hopefully the paint and insulator tubes will solve it. or i might just get som really short hose so its not under my intake

ill post some pics in a bit
Old 08-08-2007
Registered!!

DsevenEm2 -

do u really think ur intake gets hot enough to hurt performance or something?? really wat are u doing all that for.. i honestly dont see the point of all that but let me know.. sounds interesting if its for a good cause.
well paint is a few bucks so if it helps a little..then y not?

and plus that would be nice to try to get my engine as cool as i can cuz 1 of the main reasons (other than sunlight) that cf hoods fade is engine heat...ecspecially in the summer.
Old 08-08-2007
Registered!!

so heres the paint im thinking of spraying on the intake...

and do i need to sand w/this? or just clean it and spray on?-
Old 08-08-2007
Registered!!

ok so heres the rubber/foam insulating tubing that i put over TB heater hoses and pull plastic pieces off and the 2 ends stick together

AND HERE IT IS ON THE CAR!

so overall it is alot cooler around the intake, and i floored it around a few minutes and came back home and the intake was only barely warm now!

i hope the insulation will last for a long time heh

i think ill paint the intake sometime soon as well!
Old 08-08-2007
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

I think I understand the method to your madness but the real question is, do you notice any difference? I put accustical foam under my hood with a reflective backing and it turned into a heat box but there is really no feeling I have had with los of performance or anything and I have that same intake.
Old 08-08-2007
Registered!!

ryox82- I think I understand the method to your madness but the real question is, do you notice any difference? I put accustical foam under my hood with a reflective backing and it turned into a heat box but there is really no feeling I have had with los of performance or anything and I have that same intake.
well i noticed that my intake is only slightly warm now instead of HOT (after driving around and leaving the car on in park for 10 minutes)

im very happy w/the results...this costed me a few bucks and about 10 min. of time

next i want to see the reslults of the intake paint
Old 08-08-2007
Registered!!

i cant say i noticed a diff. while driving (only test drove it to make sure the insulator foam was ok)

but i do kno that my intake and that area in the engine bay is cooler so im happy with it. u kno if i do the intake paint, and wrap my header/exhaust with a wraping tape...that will prob. add a tiny bit of hp and help keep my car performing well after driving for a long period
Old 08-09-2007
Registered!!

anybody kno something i can insulate my intake piping with?

i want to insulate it and then wrap that with foil tape
Old 08-09-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't bother with the BBQ paint. Its really flat and does not insulate the pipe like you're thinking it will. The high heat paints are more to combat corrosion rather than insulate the parts. That paint just makes a mess and looks like crap after a couple months.

I painted my header with it - yes the header probably exceeded the heat rating - and some other parts, and after a bit it looked terrible. Just go with the reflective wrap and put it on carefully so it doesn't look like ****.

Last edited by speedfoos; 08-09-2007 at 05:23 AM.
Old 08-09-2007
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

+1 for trying anyways!
Old 08-09-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Man reading this thread made me really wonder if no1 was going to tell you the paint wasnt going to do jack for you, thank god for speedfoos saving the day with his nightly raid of the forums.

Wraps for the win.
Old 08-09-2007
Registered!!

Triz you should be asleep or some ****, I am getting ready for work here on the east coast. About 6 AM here lol
Old 08-09-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Its morning for me fellas! I'm kinking work today to wrench on my car....it's good to be the boss sometimes!
Old 08-09-2007
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by ryox82
Triz you should be asleep or some ****, I am getting ready for work here on the east coast. About 6 AM here lol
Its almost 6am here on the west coast and i'm still up. Invincible is a great movie. WATCH IT!

Speedfoos, your mom is a boss. aha- i'm tired. night yall.
Old 08-09-2007
Registered!!

Stuff it foo :-) One day I shall be the boss too, at least thats what I tell my girl....ok enough thread jackin and more work..
Old 08-09-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

that is really silly. the engine puts out a ton more heat than those radiator hoses ever will. and painting the intake, it wont do much. black doesnt reflect, it absorbs, which is why most bbq is black. but either way i doubt youll see a difference. just wait til winter, obviously everything will be hot in summer. my intake tube is hot before i even start the car. why? cause it 100F outside.
Old 08-09-2007
Registered!!

well i had my doubts about the paint but thanks. obviously some of u havnt done the TB heater by-pass so idk if u kno wat im talking about cuz those hoses get REALLY hot

but the insulator tubes worked so...ole ole ole ole ole, ole, ole!

il just foil tape wrap the intake and im done
Old 08-09-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

did u notice anything diffeent with the TB heater bypass?? at all??
Old 08-09-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i noticed my idle going nuts haha. the iacv needs coolant flowing through it to tell the ecu when the car is warmed up. maybe it affects auto more than manual. and btw, the air moves so fast through the tb, that the mod only ends up cooling the air by 1-2 degrees. that is a very small area that air moves through. its like blowing through a 2 foot straw with a small ice cube in the middle and expecting the air on the other side to be cooler. we did the thermodynamic calculations a long time ago and determined it to be useless. on top of that, once operating temp is reached, the coolant flow to the tb is cut off. so by keeping it stock you already have the bypass done lol. even a hot intake tube will not significantly change the incoming air temp enough to notice a power difference.
Old 08-09-2007
Registered!!

fuc^^...then y is it on the engine thread in 7thgen??

kinda misleading..
Old 08-10-2007
Registered!!

BigD001 can only hope to improve

Just to let you know dude that foam insulate is really easy to catch fire. I use to work in air conditioning and we use that to insulate the copper tubing and when we braze the copper tube any where near that foam the whole thing lite up. One time we almost burnt down a house cuz of that foam and alot of dry grass around. Just wanted to give you a heads up before anything bad happens to your car
Old 08-10-2007
Registered!!

^^ thanks man, im going to take it off and connect the TB hoses back to stock