8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

should i use gas antifreeze or additives in cold temp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rogerscivic is an unknown quantity at this point
should i use gas antifreeze or additives in cold temp?

hello guys im in debuit wether to use gas line aditives or fuel injector cleaners since we had a cold snap here in london,ont and pre- forecast is saying getting Colder . next round week brrrrrrr !
Old 01-26-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: should i use gas antifreeze or additives in cold temp?

As long as it's starting fine don't bother you'd just be throwing money away. My 05 started just fine on Monday when it was ridiculously cold, and I don't use any additives, don't even have a block heater.

If anything get a block heater, but as long as your battery is good then it's really not needed
Old 01-26-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I do not and never have used it. Winter here get as low as -10*F

Do y'all up there in Canuckia have alcohol (Ethanol) in your gasoline?
Where I'm at 99% of gas stations have Ethanol added (10% is the norm here) only one place sells straight gasoline

Alcohol absorbs water so (in theory) wouldn't regular use of say E-10 gasoline take care of small moisture/condensation accumulation issues?
Assuming the car is a daily driver

In most cases, someone who ends up with enough water in the gas tank to cause running problems either got some contaminated gasoline from a filling station, or they forgot to put the gas cap on and then drove through the car wash or it rained (snowed?) and got water in the tank
Old 01-26-2019

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Everything up in my area has ethanol in it except for a couple versions of super premium gas
Old 01-26-2019
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

• rogerscivic No.... No. need to use any kind of gas Line antifreeze to Your fuel. in Canada Ont the big Oil refinery company"s already have added the necessary anti-freeze needed in all Grades of gasoline sold here from regular to premuim fuel before winter Cold hit. to keep it from freezing, so theres no need to add additional gas line anti-freeze or fuel cleaners to keep gas from freezing.?
Old 01-26-2019

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm....

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-fr...car-can-freeze
Old 01-26-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

Hello ezone its a cold night here in London Canada i read the quora thxs for posting ezone.! around where i live here we see temp go from -15 - -25 windchill added rarely -40 -25 oh yes its hard on my battery when it gets down that low slow cra-cra-aank over would adding anything to my gas help start better.?
Old 01-26-2019

No, get your battery tested if you think it's weak
Old 01-26-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the coldest i got in quebec was -38. Car worked fine. (Seat was hard as rock, it was frozen...)
if you ask me if that was C or F, doesn't matter... C and F cross at -42 again...
Old 01-27-2019
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never added any sort of gas line anti-freeze in the winter time Quebec,Montreal would be the acception on adding additional gas line antifreeze because of there extreme Cold Temps. rogerscivic if Your batt is getting weak You might want to get it tested or buy new one. things to Do on Your next cold snap around the day before You crank it over make sure any acceseries, like Radio ,Heater, dome light, are off then crank it over by key You want to get the most Cold Cranking Amps Possible to start your engine on a weak Batt.
Old 01-27-2019
Registered!!

uhmm Good advise brags something i should be doing that i never could of thought of every milliamps of volts counts on a cold start. thank-You Guys .!
Old 01-28-2019

Originally Posted by rogerscivic
windchill added rarely -40 -25
People and other animals are affected by wind chill factor.
Mechanical things are not.

its hard on my battery when it gets down that low slow cra-cra-aank over would adding anything to my gas help start better.?
No, never. You can't change that with fuel additives.
Every vehicle cranks noticeably slower in severe cold temp

If battery is weak, replace it.
Same if starter has some issue or battery cables and grounds have issues, fix it.
Changing oil to 0w20 can help just a little bit too
Block heater, oil pan warmer, battery warmer and maybe a trickle charger helps too.