8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

overdue oil change

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rogerscivic is an unknown quantity at this point
overdue oil change

i went away on a important business meeting for a few weeks so i left my vehicle at home it was due for a oil change wich i decided to do after i would return, turns out every one in the house hold drove it and racked up more miles than i would of ever imagined i checked my oil its dark black and Low on dipstick and nearly 12.000 miles overdue i will change it good idea to add some marvel mystery oil or seafoam to clean out any sludge? im concerned about any build up in my engine
Old 11-24-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: overdue oil change

those are fine in the engine Just remember to drain out about half a liter then add Your choice of Product.

Rislone engine treatment is another good One to add to oil just before changing it scroll down & read the good reviews on it..

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/r...0224p.html#srp
Old 11-24-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Oils from all manufacturers have detergents in them. MMO, Seafoam or other type additive isn't necessary. You didn't mention whether the current oil is conventional or synthetic. Synthetic oil becomes dark in color within a few weeks after an oil change but that doesn't effect it's lubricating properties.
Old 11-24-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

idea to add some marvel mystery oil or seafoam to clean out any sludge? im concerned about any build up in my engine
I'd want clean fresh oil. Nothing in the engine but clean fresh oil.
If there were sludge in my engine, the LAST thing I want is for that crap to get loose and be able to move. While the engine is running the sludge would move to the oil sump pickup tube....guess what happens next

Remove your oil cap and look inside at the metal parts. Do you see sludge buildup coating the parts, or just dark liquid oil?

turns out every one in the house hold
Would you like some family or marriage counseling advice? It won't be pretty LOL
Old 11-24-2018

Originally Posted by ezone
If there were sludge in my engine, the LAST thing I want is for that crap to get loose and be able to move. While the engine is running the sludge would move to the oil sump pickup tube....guess what happens next

Remove your oil cap and look inside at the metal parts. Do you see sludge buildup coating the parts, or just dark liquid oil?

Would you like some family or marriage counseling advice? It won't be pretty LOL

I dont want to start another Oil Aditive thread On Oil Aditives,
but for all that dont beleive they actually work or do anything many times Your wrong it comes down to the products and use Your looking to repair Yes many dont work.but there are very good ones out there that do work, and are perfectly safe to use weather your talking about using it in a engine or drivetrain heres one example of a product called hotshotz that cleaned up the diesel oil Injectores that had a problem with

Sticktion, "Sticktion" is from old burnt coated oil residual build up oil left behind that over time makes a part harder to move freely like in this video of a ford f150 Diesel oil injectores that were problematic this Product worked on it!. Look for Yourself". many Truckers use it. so for all that dont like using any kind of additives or think there bad to use You have additives in Your Gas & Oil already weather You take it to get it serviced from a dealer or on Your own Your using oil & gas that contain adittives. its Just others work alot better than what Your normally using

Old 11-24-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I think I'd take the actual Honda mechanic's advice...

Old 11-24-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colin42
I think I'd take the actual Honda mechanic's advice...
I'm not gonna dispute that some additive products are intended for a specific purpose and may be used as such.

But I'm not gonna dump anything into engine oil with the intent of loosening sludge buildup.
To back this up, the manufacturer does not recommend any oil additives or flushes either.
Old 11-24-2018

I'm not gonna dispute that some additive products are intended for a specific purpose and may be used as such.

But I'm not gonna dump anything into engine oil with the intent of loosening sludge buildup.
To back this up, the manufacturer does not recommend any oil additives or flushes either.
right...! BUT Your missing the Point. ezone were talking about an oil change overdue of about as stated by rogerscivic of 12,000kms "honestly in this case" who cares what manufactures recommend for the additives or flushes they themselves Never heard about? or dont know about that work?, or even ever tried to use?. many times its up to the DYI"R to figure out it for them-selves.
Old 11-24-2018

Who or what indicated the oil change was due or so far overdue anyway? The 5000km oil sticker on the windshield, or the maintenance minder?

If good oil was used and the minder had not come up with its service reminder yet I'd expect no issues.
Old 11-25-2018
Registered!!

i ran some mmo thru it changed oil with synthetic 5w20 and coloure is clear again thank-you for all that posted that rislone does have good reviews might be a to-do thing on my list of things on next oil change to use? its always had this low noise tick,tick, sound on cold start up.
Old 11-25-2018

I actually ran a bottle of Rislone Engine Treatment in daugters Mazda 3 awhile back in the summertime used a bottle at about 700kms before its oil change was due to be changed after i drained oil and it definatley came out darker than normal and the surprising thing i also notice now is the oil stayes clearer longer now. Good stuff to use its Got my thumbs.up for the cost its definatley worth using especially when reading in the CT review section on how its cured noises in peoples engines...
Old 11-25-2018

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Brags: The bottom line is do you think that additives like Jizzoline, Seaspooge, Marvel Mystery choad, etc.. is going to extend an engine's life anymore than oil changes at the factory recommended mileages?

I highly dout those additives would extend engine life but, I believe they will lighten your wallet.
Old 11-25-2018

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HR Puffinblunts
I highly doubt those additives would extend engine life but, I believe they will lighten your wallet.
​​​​​​
This
Old 11-25-2018

Amazon Amazon

Ok heres One example of using a additive to prevent a problem.
If Hyundai didnt think using Techron fuel Inj cleaner as a preventative measure to help clean top of pistons and the Exhaust Valves clean then i must be Wrong according to You all.? Hyundai is asking there vehicle owners as stated in there owners manual to use this "additives guys"? for all You that are against additives bet You didnt see this coming. did You? but then again Even So Using the Best Concentrated Fuel Injector cleaner Poured in the tank Only Cleans the Back of the Exhaust Valves and somewhat of the tops of Pistons head Never ever will it reach or be able to clean the Intake Valves though, i use a can of CRC intake Valve cleaner sprayed directly into the throttle body with engine running to help clean carbon

again thats a spray in additive is it bad to use under the proper correct conditions "Absolutley not" - "correct conditions being" vehicle fully warmed and running at idle slightly revved up while sparayeing product in & pausing 2-3 second in-betweeen spraying, again using additives is not common practice for even a manufacturer to use.they all use them Guys, weather were talking about doing a induction cleaning using strong chemicals like a BG cleaning hook-up machine or motorvac thats using crushed nut shells to get the job done dealers/shops all

use them to clean and repaire a problem or maintain engine or driveline that manufactures know they arent perfect, So again the argument is why do dealers use additives? and especially when they dont reccomend them or they knowingly use them themselves on GDI engines that they no by design are not perfect and prone to carbon build up. You can bet they will jump on a additive to use. Guys to me compareing additives is sorta like comparing to brushing Your teeth You brush them but brushing alone doesnt make them any whitter right?. You go to a dentist to clean them bright white again right? to answer Your Question do additives exttend vehicles engine/driveline Life using the right Product for the intended use and used properly i would say Yes

Last edited by brags; 11-25-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-25-2018

Facts: http://www.emissiontime.com/the-fact...oil-additives/
Old 11-25-2018

Originally Posted by brags

If Hyundai didnt think using Techron
We aren't working with Hyundais here. Hyundai also says a transmission fluid flush machine is okay to use (actually read that in alldata once).
Honda specifically says the opposite.

Techron is a fantastic product and Chevron puts it in their fuel. At one dealer I worked for long ago, it used to be included with routine service on CIS injected cars (mostly German cars, pre obd2) because some had real issues.

In a wet intake system it does clean the back of the intake valves. IDK how it's gonna do that in a direct injected engine.
Old 11-25-2018

We aren't working with Hyundais here. Hyundai also says a transmission fluid flush machine is okay to use (actually read that in alldata once).
Honda specifically says the opposite.

Techron is a fantastic product and Chevron puts it in their fuel. At one dealer I worked for long ago, it used to be included with routine service on CIS injected cars (mostly German cars, pre obd2) because some had real issues.

In a wet intake system it does clean the back of the intake valves. IDK how it's gonna do that in a direct injected engine.
See what i mean ezone when i say dealers knowingly use additives.? but in there printed manufactures owners manually it says clearlly to not use them ? To clean Intake Valves On a GDI direct fuel Injected enigine You use a product like CRC Intake Valve Cleaner and spray it in thru the throttle body with engine fully warmed up so You dont run the risk of bending a rod, with engine slightly revved while sprying in & pausing in-between sprays thats how You clean Intake Valves on a GDI engine using fuel Injector on GDI engines Only cleans Injector tips,Exhaust valves, and top of pistons thats it. the rest is up to You to do
Old 11-25-2018

See what i mean ezone when i say dealers knowingly use additives.?
This started with engine oil. I'm not going to put anything but clean fresh oil in the engine.

To clean Intake Valves
Walnut shells was how we did it back in the last millennium.
Old 12-09-2018
Registered!!

looked at my oil level today and what the heck its black again" now ..i dont no if i should waite or change it ?
Old 12-09-2018

Originally Posted by rogerscivic
looked at my oil level today and what the heck its black again" now ..i dont no if i should waite or change it ?
Ok Then Obviously needs changing No Ifs or Butts about it... What i would do is change Oil & filter using cheap mineral oil & filter and use Rislone engine treatment or a bottle of Marvell Mystery Oil Your choice Both are ok to use Except Marvel Mystery Oil is a little on the Liquidy side of things So if Your using a full bottle of this stuff Just be cautious not to

over revv crazy Your engine, on a Hot drive cycle drive it normally"... "because it will change Your Oils Viscosity" So if using it in the Oil dont Push the engine too hard" Personally i would Run a bottle of Rislone Engine Treatment its got some Viscosity to it and Pours a little thicker Green out the Bottle VS the other Product then simply drive it give it time to work for the next 1,000kms do a drain & Fill using a Proper Good synthetic Oil & Filter and You should be Good to Go.
Old 12-09-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Black oil is not an indication of how dirty or used an oil is. Synthetic oil can go black very quickly which is normal.
Old 12-09-2018

Ok Then Obviously needs changing No Ifs or Butts about it
Clearly you've never worked on a diesel or a Korean car,
Black the first time you start it after changing the oil.

rogerscivic
As long as you used good oil and a good filter you're fine,
If you want change it a couple thou early go for it. Don't bother putting in any additives
Old 12-12-2018
Registered!!

hey members drained oil and filter recently it was black coming out seen no sludge though. while underneath though, i did find a screw in my front right side tire right smack in the centre. so jacked up the one side and pulled the screw out and used a plug specifically cord kind used for pluging up a small hole in tire for repaire. shortly after repairing my tire i got on the highway now my steering wheel has a shake on it this only happens on the highway at speeds over 110 km it wont do it in city driving took it to my mechanic he put it on his hoist and he had a look underneath and said he couldn"t find anything wrong". he did balance my front wheells i drove it out and still its doing it took to him again he said your tires are balanced he twas busy at this point he wants me back to rotate tires he thinks one of them are bad. now how in the world can a tire go this bad that fast from a punctured screw i mean my tires are still new and got plenty of tread on them i dont want to buy tires again "..
Old 12-12-2018

Did you air up the tire after plugging it?

Stock wheels? Aftermarket wheels? Hub centering ring missing? Wheel does not spin true?
Old 12-13-2018
Registered!!

Did you air up the tire after plugging it?

Stock wheels? Aftermarket wheels? Hub centering ring missing? Wheel does not spin true?
there steell stock wheells i never took them off
Old 12-14-2018

there steell stock wheells i never took them off
uuhm... Lets back track your steps you raised the one side of Your car pulled the screw out pluged it using a plug strip ( i also have used them in the past) - that wont cause any problem. You then aired up your tire, and at 110kms your saying steering wheel shakes only on highway its possible you hit a pothole hard enough that you bent the rim or shifted a belt on the tire before hitting the hwy ,??
Old 12-15-2018
Registered!!

No real bad potholes around here, i have traveled the same road hundreds of times with out issue, shifted belt? quite possibly it, i got the front wheells on the back and steering wheel dont shake anymore i just dont get it? i
mean how puting in a plug and air could damage my tire. i never took wheell off the hub either wich rules out the
front centre ring .
Old 12-15-2018

No real bad potholes around here, i have traveled the same road hundreds of times with out issue, shifted belt? quite possibly it, i got the front wheells on the back and steering wheel dont shake anymore i just dont get it? i
mean how puting in a plug and air could damage my tire. i never took wheell off the hub either wich rules out the
front centre ring .
Yeah... something changed on the wheel/tire Pretty obvious after putting it in the back. and Im guessing You used a small portable Compressor to fill back up Your tire again ?
Old 12-15-2018
Registered!!

my friendly neighbour next door streteched out his air line gave me air no nitrogen just regular air.
Old 12-15-2018

front centre ring .
The puncture (or repair) may have damaged a steel belt.
my friendly neighbour next door streteched out his air line gave me air no nitrogen just regular air.
You got 78% Nitrogen.

Quick Reply: overdue oil change