8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Suitable Oil for first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018
emp
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emp is an unknown quantity at this point
Suitable Oil for first oil change

Went through with purchase of 2008 Honda Civic EXL with 154,000 miles and was gonna do my first oil change this weekend. Need some advice on suitable engine oil to use. Would the pictured oil be suitable or should I stay away from high mileage oils?

Old 11-19-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suitable Oil for first oil change

Oh boy, another oil thread.

Your engines oil cap says 5w20 right on it, but 0w20 is also acceptable if you wish and all 0w20 is considered semi-synthetic or better. Is the price higher? That may cancel out any fuel economy savings.

I don't use high mileage oil (marketing!!). Conversely, the oil we use (at our dealer) doesn't say "low mileage" on it anywhere either.
(any oil can be high mileage oil if the engine has high mileage?)

Make sure your cars recalls have all been completed!
Old 11-21-2018
emp
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Make sure your cars recalls have all been completed!
I have 1 open recall for airbag inflator
Old 11-21-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emp
I have 1 open recall for airbag inflator
Git that taken care of ASAP !
Old 11-21-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

The only difference between regular oil and high mileage oil is an a seal/gasket sweller is added to the high mileage oil.

The first number 0W, 5W, 10W is the "Winter" number: 0, 5, 10 farenheit. So, the lower the Winter number the easier the oil will flow at colder ambient temps.This number applies to first starting the car when the engine is cold. the second number (20 your car's case) is the viscosity and the oil's ability to handle heat. Engineers recommend a specific viscosity to work optimally with their engine's internal tolerances (clearances of moving parts). By adding a thicker viscosity of oil, say 30 weight, would actually cause the engine to work harder and slightly less effecient. The reason why some mechanics suggest using a thicker viscosity on a high mileage engine is that internal engine tolerances eventually widen with use and mileage and using a thicker viscosity oil may result in less oil burning. However, there is no set mileage that tolerances start to widen or if they truly widen at all. If an engine is burning a substantial amount of oil then using a higher than recommended viscosity of oil is just a band-aid and doesn't address the real mechanical problem.
Old 11-21-2018

using a thicker viscosity oil may result in less oil burning
That can actually increase oil consumption in modern engines.
Old school thinking doesn't always work with modern technology.
Old 11-21-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
That can actually increase oil consumption in modern engines.
Old school thinking doesn't always work with modern technology.
I was going to mention that it's something old school mechanics may recommend but going against my normal impulsive posting I ommited it. I personally wouldn't recommend a higher viscosity to anyone and don't add it to my own vehicles.

Old 11-21-2018
emp
Registered!!

Thanks for the information, I have an appointment with local Honda dealer on Monday to fix the recall issue and I think I am going to go with Mobil1 0w-20 motor oil. Ive been doing some reading in these forums about oil filters and I think I can get a case of (5) 15400-PLM-A01 filters on Amazon for between $25 and $30 dollars.
Old 11-24-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldnt bother using any brand of high mileage oil Just because there all gimicky and dont delevere as advertised.

Your better off just using a Quality name brand synthetic of Your choice and use whats marked on your oil cap & youl be fine
Old 12-22-2018

Originally Posted by emp
Thanks for the information, I have an appointment with local Honda dealer on Monday to fix the recall issue and I think I am going to go with Mobil1 0w-20 motor oil. Ive been doing some reading in these forums about oil filters and I think I can get a case of (5) 15400-PLM-A01 filters on Amazon for between $25 and $30 dollars.
Mobile1 Synthetic is an Excellent choice."! for Your Civic and more than enough to keep it spanking clean i use Pennz Platinum Just because in my area i can usually find a better deal on it vs mobile1. using expensive Oils in a civic like redline,Amsoil,Royal Purple great oils but there not needed in a civic using them is a waiste of $$ look at what using Mobile1 did for this engine Just a prime example.

Old 12-22-2018
Registered!!

rogerscivic is an unknown quantity at this point

WoW ! .. mobile1 proves its extremely well at keeping a engine darn clean". last oil changed i got a great price on a 5 liter bottle of Quaker state 5w20 $32.00 tax incl. i have thought about those other exsps oil's but never bought any as price factor always seemed to get in the way of buying any.
Old 12-22-2018

Originally Posted by rogerscivic
WoW ! .. mobile1 proves its extremely well at keeping a engine darn clean". last oil changed i got a great price on a 5 liter bottle of Quaker state 5w20 $32.00 tax incl. i have thought about those other exsps oil's but never bought any as price factor always seemed to get in the way of buying any.

expensive Oil has its place. it belongs in high end vehicles like this bugati veyron that takes about 17 Quarts of oil and have a whopping 16 Oil drain plugs to loosen up for its Oil change..! doing an Oil and filter and air filter on this monster is about $21.000 dollars and in case you need tires your replacing rims & tires because the tires are actually glued to the rims to stop them from spining due to all the torque the engine makes. keeps the tires on the rims . im not kidding either look it up on youtube
Old 12-22-2018
Registered!!

rogerscivic is an unknown quantity at this point

This vehicle is insanity .. they couldnt" even you use a regular lift to lift it first time a round & 20+plus hours for changing oil ? not a everyday vehicle i would own for sure. lol never seen this before," guess that answers the question why? i dont see any at quick lube change centres expensive oil definatly belongs in this bugatti ."! "cars like these never cease to amaze me never imagined something like this was out there with this kind of price tag on a oil change." thanks for posting the video though .. brags"
Old 12-22-2018

Originally Posted by rogerscivic
This vehicle is insanity .. they couldnt" even you use a regular lift to lift it first time a round & 20+plus hours for changing oil ? not a everyday vehicle i would own for sure. lol never seen this before," guess that answers the question why? i dont see any at quick lube change centres expensive oil definatly belongs in this bugatti ."! "cars like these never cease to amaze me never imagined something like this was out there with this kind of price tag on a oil change." thanks for posting the video though .. brags"
If i ever won any kind of super car porche ,bugatti, Ferrari it would be going right back on a trailer shiped straite back to where it came from and sold to dealer no average middle class person like myself could keep or ever think about keeping any vehicle like this. sadly to say lol
Old 12-23-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brags
back to where it came from and sold to dealer no average middle class person like myself could keep or ever think about keeping any vehicle like this
Had a neighbor who worked at a Chrysler dealer. He got a good deal on an SRT Jeep thing. Previous owner had to trade it in because he couldn't afford (or refused to pay) for the 3k dollar brake job it needed at 30k miles. Yea those Brembo's look awesome and those ceramic rotors stop on a dime but you have to pay to play!!!
Old 01-05-2019
emp
Registered!!

Originally Posted by emp
I actually went with the Mobil1 5w-20 instead, been about a month and still chugging along.....
Old 01-05-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Good deal. Mobile 1 is a great oil so you are good to go!