Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

I've had multiple motor mount failures

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
johncoby is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had multiple motor mount failures

2009 Civic. I've replaced all the mounts about 2 years ago. A year later the motor mount was replaced again. Here I am once again a year later and the motor mount needs replacement again. What could be causing this? Could I have bought 2 defective mounts?
Old 10-25-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: I've had multiple motor mount failures

are you buying oem mounts or aftermarket ones? were they installed properly?
Old 11-11-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
are you buying oem mounts or aftermarket ones? were they installed properly?
The OEM was $300. The

International Suspension Group Engine Mount was $50. The Anchor Engine Mount is $153. I can turn in the old one and get $50 off of the Anchor which seems to be rated good.

I hate to have to pay $300 for this part. Its almost 10 years old, has over 175,000 miles. Runs great but it vibrates because of the mount. All the mounts have been replaced already.
Old 11-11-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

You bought a $50 mount? No wonder it was crap.
could always try junkyards if you don't want to pay full price, or check if any of the dealers that sell Honda parts online have them for cheaper
Old 11-11-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you didn't buy a Genuine Honda mount the first time, you really never fixed the problem in the first place LOL

Did you find the Honda bulletin that lists the part numbers for updated mounts? (one of the numbers has been updated since the bulletin was published too)
Many Honda dealers are selling parts online at wholesale prices. You might be able to knock close to a hundred bucks off MSRP of a genuine mount from your local dealer, but add some bucks for shipping
Old 11-11-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

you can still go 3 more years without paying the full price of the OEM mounts 300 = 50 x 6
having a car is sadly a pay to play with maintenance

this won't be a good info for you, but might be valuable to whoever sees this - potentially, aftermarket mounts are really not worth the cheaper price when you include the costs of installation.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 11-11-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2020
Registered!!

Im not buying the OEM part problem. This shouldn't be happening. There is something causing undue pressure on this mount making it collapse. The bracket attached to the motor drops and contacts the mount causing the vibration. The car run fine. No vibration in the steering. Its great on the highway doing 80+ MPH. No vibration until the mount goes out. I think if I put in an OEM part it will still go out.

Old 08-30-2020
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

I've never owned an 8th or 9th gen Civic and do not know if that Honda original mount is a hydraulic (fluid filled) or a solid rubber mount. I have used Anchor brand solid mounts on a couple 6th gens and other than increased vibrations for the first three months after replacement they held up for 3+; years until I sold those cars.

I purchased those 6th gen Anchor mounts over five years ago and I have read that their quality has worsened in the past few years. Others having issues with them only lasting a year or less (on various vehicles). Also, if the solid rubber Anchor mount you purchased replaced a (factory) hydraulic mount the vibrations to the Anchor solid mount would certainly increase and that force could sheer it if it is made up of inferior rubber compounds (which, it most likely is compared to Honda Genuine).

One option is to either buy another Anchor mount, or perhaps use the torn mount and fill the middle gap in with 3M Window Weld. If you choose that option once you fill in the gap with window weld submerse the mount entirely in a bucket of water until it dries completely (about 2 or 3 days) before installing.

Google search 3M window weld motor mounts and you see plenty of info. However, as the others said Honda Genuine is the best option and should pay for itself with increase lifespan and function. Try HondaPartsNow, Majestic, or other reputable online OEM seller.
Old 08-31-2020
Registered!!

Ok. I give! If this mount goes out I'll go with the Honda part. Im keeping this car just for another year. It has been a pretty solid car. Drives well. Cold AC. Could look better.