8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justincl97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Gas mileage

Hey guys, I just tracked my gas mileage and for a full tank of gas...I only got 220 miles, It was chevron 91. Should I be concerned, I have a 2011 Honda Civic Ex and it has a 13.5 gallon tank. Just got it checked our by a mechanic 3 weeks ago and said everything was good.
Old 06-27-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gas mileage

I don't see anything in your post that tells actual gas mileage.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Old 06-27-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

lead foot?
Old 06-28-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I don't see anything in your post that tells actual gas mileage.

Nothing to see here, move along.

What are you talking about. Factored into math and it was about 16 miles per gallon.
Old 06-28-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Just a heads up. 13.5 gallons is full capacity, whereas typical fill up will be along the line of 10-11 gallons. Nevertheless, ~22mpg is on the low end, unless you have a lead foot with 5% highway miles, then it's about normal. You can probably get 34mpg if you drive like a granny or 36mpg if you drive 99% highway miles.

That said, what ezone is trying to allude to is:
1) what kinda driving do you do mostly (highway vs city road)
2) what kinda driving style do you have?
3) what kinda gas you using? Chevron, shell, Costco, joe shmoe gas on the corner?
4) why are you filling up on 91 octane when the R18 only requires 87? No, 91 isnt going to increase performance. No, 87 isnt going to gunk up your engine because it's "lesser grade gasoline." If anything, 91 will leave more carp in your engine due to its slower burning nature and possibly cause lower fuel economy. I made those observations with my 2002 civic, but the opposite with my 2018 1.5T civic, since it's tuned to use either and will adjust as such.
Old 06-28-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I could see getting low 20’s with city driving and having a heavy foot (not fast but heavy).

You divide total miles by gallons you put in not fuel tank capacity. Does it have a fuel economy gauge?
Old 06-28-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justincl97
What are you talking about. Factored into math and it was about 16 miles per gallon.
You don't have that in your post. You told us the miles driven. Not fuel consumed.

Figuring up fuel economy is stupid simple.
Miles driven divided by amount of fuel consumed to drive those miles.
Write down miles driven and the # of gallons it took to fill the gas tank.... every time.
Calculate every time you fill the gas tank.
And you have to fill the gas tank every time.
Average it over several tanks of gas.

There's even phone apps and websites that almost do it for you.

I do it by hand. On paper. In a notebook. With a pen. Every time.
Every tank of gas is a fill up til the pump clicks off.

I know many people who drive in heavy dense traffic (jams) like in LA get what sounds like crappy mileage (low 20s or even less), and it's all because of traffic conditions. If you're stopped and the engine is running, your fuel economy is zero, and that still figures in when it's calculated.
Get it out on the highway and do dead steady 55 MPH for several hours without stopping and you might hit high 40s.

Last edited by ezone; 06-28-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2018
Registered!!

So I have been using Chevron 89 gasoline. I drive probably about 80% highway at speeds around 65 with smooth acceleration up to it with minimal traffic same goes for the city driving. In fact the past 2 days with half a tank. I was only able to crank out barely 100 miles and I've been driving like a granny easing up to the speed limit. I dont know what to do