8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

brake fade

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rogerscivic is an unknown quantity at this point
brake fade

hey guys i have a question about are brakes on are 8th gen civics i commute a good portion of 401 hwy everyday and i have noticed when i need to brake hard to stop when traffic comes to a halt in front of me theres a bit of brake fade i ant a late hard braker by any means brakes have been checked recent and pads- rotors were checked and received a Ok fluid was replaced by mechanics recommendation. everything else all got the pass mechanic drove it he said brake function is normal nothing wrong brakes work well its when i reef on them my car will stop and screech tires but i notice some brake fade uther than that they work flawless i bought it used well over a year ago so i dont no what was put on my mechanic said it could be that i got a set of cheap pads and rotors on it recomended i get stop tech or ebc pads and rotors when im due for a brake job in the near future my question is if i reealy have a set of cheap pads rotors would they cause fade? or is this normal on all 8th generation civics?
Old 06-12-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: brake fade

What are you calling "fade"? What happens, what does the car do?
What have you been doing immediately before you experience this "fade"?

Stick some genuine Honda pads on it?
Old 06-13-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

brake fade happens when it is reeeeeeeeeeeeealy under heavy use. define fade.
Old 06-13-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
brake fade happens when it is reeeeeeeeeeeeealy under heavy use. define fade.
correct under heavy use in stopn go hwy traffic if stomped hard my brake pedal willl slow my car and stop in traffic ahead but it feells like there unpredictable on hard braking also if i drive over any kind of bump in the road my brake pedal will vibrate really leaning towards lousy pads and rotors my mechanic says i have over 60% life still left on them
Old 06-13-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

your ABS is activating.

Only case i had fade was in a race track. (fade is boiling the brake fluid, not gonna happen in one random stop, no matter how hard to stomp in the brakes).

either your tires are really not gripping, or you have some kind of problems in the ABS (sensors dislocated?) or you are using different sized tires (although this would immediately lit your ABS light)
Old 06-13-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

also if i drive over any kind of bump in the road my brake pedal will vibrate
Agree that sounds like the ABS kicking in whenever the tires leave the pavement.
Is it normal and expected? Depends.

fade is boiling the brake fluid
Disagree man, fade is when the pads overheat and friction coefficient (is that the correct term?) goes to hell. You can have fade and still have a decent pedal height/feel.

If OP is using cheap pads this could start to occur after just a couple hard stops in a row, from speed.

Cheap pads, cheap materials= poor performance characteristics.

You can have brake fade without boiling the fluid. Fade alone still holds a decant pedal feel, but without all the handy stopping action.
Boiling the fluid usually isn't far behind brake pad fade though.
That's when the overheated pads transfer their heat into the calipers and the calipers get hot enough that the heat boils the fluid inside them..... and can cause straight up loss of pedal because the fluid boiled.... vapor in the lines does not work as a hydraulic fluid and cannot transfer motion. Pedal goes to the floor.
Old 06-14-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

ah, true that.

regardless, not gonna happen in one emergency stop
Old 06-23-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Agree that sounds like the ABS kicking in whenever the tires leave the pavement.
Is it normal and expected? Depends.

Disagree man, fade is when the pads overheat and friction coefficient (is that the correct term?) goes to hell. You can have fade and still have a decent pedal height/feel.

If OP is using cheap pads this could start to occur after just a couple hard stops in a row, from speed.

Cheap pads, cheap materials= poor performance characteristics.

You can have brake fade without boiling the fluid. Fade alone still holds a decant pedal feel, but without all the handy stopping action.
Boiling the fluid usually isn't far behind brake pad fade though.
That's when the overheated pads transfer their heat into the calipers and the calipers get hot enough that the heat boils the fluid inside them..... and can cause straight up loss of pedal because the fluid boiled.... vapor in the lines does not work as a hydraulic fluid and cannot transfer motion. Pedal goes to the floor.
ezone after getting my brakes checked from my mechanic he sugested a brake bleeding of the brake fluid wich i agreed to and not much after that changed i beleive my problem is that who ever owned my car before changed brakes of a lower quality kind in order to save on costs and passed it onto me.. next set of brakes recommended from my mechanic were ebc and stop tech what do you think is better to use are honda brakes any better than rec?
Old 06-24-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

If Your brakes were checked and brake fluid changed from Your mechanic then im not sure what else there could be wrong did he check the slider Pins on calipers were they lubed at all? because even the cheapest set of brake Pads & rotors should still stop decently anyone here agree? how thick are the rotors? im not sure why you need to so call (reef on the brakes) is it that you have to in order to stop? or can You stop normally?
Old 06-24-2018
Registered!!

i can drive it normally to stop all other vehicles ever owned stoped really well and Yes all was checked inc pins rusty rotors are within safety spec i really still think its cheap china brakes that are on my civic i see you did brakes in the dyi section on a mazda 3 my mom has one i did the rear brakes on heres a few months ago too. cant recall what brand they were but they still are working great . thanks again 8th gen's for the help!
Old 06-24-2018

Yup it was either using the cheap brake hardware or the Wagner Parts in the front of the vehicle went with the
better Quality Wagner Pad & Roter Glad i did.!
Old 06-24-2018

Originally Posted by rogerscivic
ezone after getting my brakes checked from my mechanic he sugested a brake bleeding of the brake fluid wich i agreed to and not much after that changed
Flushing brake fluid won't solve any problems if it's not part of the problem, but it IS a manufacturer recommended maintenance. Your owners manual will tell you to flush the brake fluid every 3 years.

i beleive my problem is that who ever owned my car before changed brakes of a lower quality kind in order to save on costs
Most likely this is the root of your problem.

Brakes from ChinaZone might not be made with the most efficient friction material. Could be made from compressed walnut shells or compressed cardboard or mud, or whatever
and passed it onto me.. next set of brakes recommended from my mechanic were ebc and stop tech what do you think is better to use are honda brakes any better than rec?
I work for a dealership, we use genuine Honda pads.
Many aftermarket pads tend to cause noise complaints for us.
Old 06-24-2018

Hey there ezone
i thought noisy Brake Pads were a thing of the Past in this day and age. Just out of curiousity? what material are
Honda brake Pads made out of Ceramic, metalic, or other?
Old 06-24-2018

Originally Posted by brags
Hey there ezone
i thought noisy Brake Pads were a thing of the Past in this day and age.
Oh no LOL
I always make the joke that the cheap brakes can make squeal noises that sound like CHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

FWIW ceramic have been good for us, but we install them on non-Honda brand cars.

Just out of curiousity? what material are
Honda brake Pads made out of Ceramic, metalic, or other?
IDK.

We don't need to know all that LOL

=========

By the way y'all, asbestos can still be in brake and clutch materials, it's considered 'organic'
So don't stir up the dust and breathe it.