8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Honda Civic 8 FK3 Type S 2.2 i-CDTI - cooling fan and smoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR.M0g0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Honda Civic 8 FK3 Type S 2.2 i-CDTI - cooling fan and smoke

Dear Civic readers,

I am a proud owner of a Honda Civic 8 Type S i-CDTI (2008 - 2.2l Diesel).

A few years ago my car started to behave strange.
When I started the AC the cooling fans turned on and off (around 10-10 seconds). When turning of the AC the fans switched off also.

Last year even if I didn't turned the AC on the fans switched on and stayed like this for a longer period of time. After 100km (for example) the fans switched off by themselves. If I was turning on the AC the fans worked on/off like before ( around10-10 seconds)

A few months ago when I had the problem with the fans I noticed smoke coming out from the exhaust and what makes me worried is the smell of something really hot coming from the car.

I want to mention that when I'm getting the smoke from the exhaust I fell it also in the cabin.

I went to a local Honda dealer and they told me it is the manifold - it's maybe cracked and it's leaking so the sensors are recognizing a pressure lose and that's why the ventilators are working. They asked my 1100 euro for this,but I've done it myself with 550 euro.

The old manifold was ok, just a small leakage, nothing to worry about. So the problem is not coming from the manifold.

I don't want to go again to the Honda dealership because they have no idea and I have to pay around 50 euro just to have a look on my car. I tried also to different workshop but everyone is have a point of view, but nobody is telling me exactly what is the problem.

They checked with the computer and the car doesn't have any errors.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

BTW - the car is working perfectly. 150000 km at the moment. The smoke seems white/grey. I'll have a look.
Old 05-25-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda Civic 8 FK3 Type S 2.2 i-CDTI - cooling fan and smoke

A competent mechanic will probably have to witness and experience your complaints in person, in order to fully understand what you have described, and determine why it happens.

Is it overheating?
Have you checked antifreeze level in the radiator? Is it losing antifreeze?
Is it losing engine oil?
Got leaks?

Visible vapor from the dash vents while the AC has been operating is a normal phenomenon in certain conditions.
Old 09-21-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR.M0g0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Honda Civic 8 FK3 Type S 2.2 i-CDTI - cooling fan and smoke

Originally Posted by ezone
A competent mechanic will probably have to witness and experience your complaints in person, in order to fully understand what you have described, and determine why it happens.

Is it overheating?
Have you checked antifreeze level in the radiator? Is it losing antifreeze?
Is it losing engine oil?
Got leaks?

Visible vapor from the dash vents while the AC has been operating is a normal phenomenon in certain conditions.
hello again,

sorry for my late reply.
to answer to your questions.
the engine is not overheating
antifreeze level is ok
is not loosing oil and it doesn’t have any exhaust leaks.

ill have it checked by a Honda dealer, hopefully they’ll know what is wrong with it. I’ll update the thread when I’ll have news