8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2007 Bad Finish/Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moons_madden is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 Bad Finish/Paint Job

Shortly after I had bought my Honda, I noticed the paint seemed to be getting quite bad. I also noticed, when ever I go to a parking lot and see other 2007 Honda Civic Sedans, every BLACK model has the exact same poor paint/finish job on it, particularly on the roof. So it's not just mine.

I went years ago to Honda and to ask what was going on (I used to think it was a reaction from bird poop). That's when it was fessed up there was a known defect issue with a lot of these Honda models. The problem is that by the time I found out about it, the warranty was off. So they were not going to fix their own problem or stand by their own customers!

I am just wondering, if anyone has any ideas for resolving this cheaply? Honda quoted me a price something like $1600 at the time to repair THEIR own defects. I thought it was outrageous. For that price, I'd rather just re-paint it manually and learn something myself in the process.

From my understanding, it's not the paint, that's actually bad, but the primer, or something else to do with the surface. Anyhow, just checking here to see who knows about this issue in detail.

Old 05-20-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2007 Bad Finish/Paint Job

I have not seen any paint peeling on my Silver 8th gen Yet knock on Wood. but i have seen many other civics driving on the road with this problem whats the cause...? is Honda cheaped out on there Soft Clear Coat Quality finish, Honda knows they have a Paint Defect on there hands as being a problem, wich is really unexeptable on a Honda if You ask me. LOL for Your FYI they did extend there paint warranty to 7 Years on some models i would contact Honda Corp. and complain about this & send them Your Pics as well. Good Luck! and let us know Post back what Honda did for You to resolve this paint peeling Defect...?

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...paint-warranty
Old 05-20-2018
Registered!!

rogerscivic is an unknown quantity at this point

oh so its a problem with honda's use of a soft clear coat type hey? i have no peeling on my blue paint just yet, im prety sure that extended 7 year warranty was only for 2 more years not addtional 7 more
Old 05-20-2018
Registered!!

moons_madden is an unknown quantity at this point

The 7 year deal won't help me now because the car is a 2007 model I bought a year later.

From what I was told by someone, it's not exactly the paint, but something else. I think you may be right Brags it's the clearcoat.

Anyhow, my way of getting back at Honda is simply by driving this utter looking garbage on the streets. I especially get a kick when people are cruising to buy a new Honda at the dealership, and I park my car right infront of the window so people know exactly what kind of Corp they are dealing with. I'm sure it's not a peasant site. LOL

For the record, I have ONLY seen this issue on the BLACK Hondas. Though I'm not saying it's impossible to have it if you have any other color. It's possible I may have seen them, but generally the blacks for this model do.

I will think about contacting the Corp though as you say just to see what happens...
Old 05-20-2018

moons_madden

As mentioned its Hondas clear coat Defect wich yes they acknowledge as being a "Paint defect Problem" On there Part, wich is why for that reason alone they extended there paint warranty for 2 extra Years. Yes i no 2 years not additional 7 years. just wanted to show the web page with all the colours for our 8th gen members.

all i can Say is with many Civics not only like Yours driving around with this Clear coat peeling off it does Not look good for Hondas image as being a dependable, Trouble free Vehicle to own. because the smart ones looking into buying a Honda vehicle will research and catch on soon enough on the Clear Coat Peeling issue.
Old 05-20-2018

Originally Posted by rogerscivic
oh so its a problem with honda's use of a soft clear coat type hey? i have no peeling on my blue paint just yet, im prety sure that extended 7 year warranty was only for 2 more years not addtional 7 more
Yes 2 Years Not an additional 7 still unexeptable on Hondas part as mentioned. they really should step up and make it right for Honda owners. as far as the Peeling Clear Coat is concerned Yes Honda used a Lower Quality Soft Clear coat why? probably Lower there costs on spraying, So Basically theres 3 kinds of Clear Coat finishes (Soft- intermediate- hard) as shown below soft Clear coats is what Honda uses.

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/c...d-is-my-paint/

RogersCivic have You gotten the HondaData ReFlash Yet...??
Old 05-20-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by brags
Yes 2 Years Not an additional 7 still unexeptable on Hondas part as mentioned. they really should step up and make it right for Honda owners. as far as the Peeling Clear Coat is concerned Yes Honda used a Lower Quality Soft Clear coat why? probably Lower there costs on spraying, So Basically theres 3 kinds of Clear Coat finishes (Soft- intermediate- hard) as shown below soft Clear coats is what Honda uses.

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/c...d-is-my-paint/

RogersCivic have You gotten the HondaData ReFlash Yet...??
No im still waiting on.. for someone that has it installed on there civic to post up, so i can gather up some info on there experience on the install. im thinking of a K&N cold air intake since it can be further tuned through the hondadata reflash
Old 05-21-2018
Registered!!

knowing there is a problem with civics paint peeling back, is there any thing i can use on my paint to perhaps prevent it from ever peeling?
Old 05-21-2018

Found this online awhile back and is what i been using ever since (Maguiars Ultimate Fast Finish) - spray comes with a terrycloth in the box spray it on the terry cloth and wipe on wipe off just dont get it on the ruber window trim or any other trims you dont want it on. uther than that keeps on beeding and protecting the paint for a long time up to a year maquiars claims. CT caries it by the way

https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...re-Honda-Civic
Old 05-21-2018
Registered!!

Found this online awhile back and is what i been using ever since (Maguiars Ultimate Fast Finish) - spray comes with a terrycloth in the box spray it on the terry cloth and wipe on wipe off just dont get it on the ruber window trim or any other trims you dont want it on. uther than that keeps on beeding and protecting the paint for a long time up to a year maquiars claims. CT caries it by the way

https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...re-Honda-Civic
a year of protection on the paint looks promissing, does it actually work at keeping the paint looking good for a year ?
Old 05-21-2018

the shine will fade after i say few months but the water still beads on the paint it really is an excellent product. have a great victoria day holliday rogerscivic.
Old 05-21-2018
Registered!!

the shine will fade after i say few months but the water still beads on the paint it really is an excellent product. have a great victoria day holliday rogerscivic.
thats great to hear i might just give it a try,! have a great holiday brags thanks..! for posting it up