8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Is Synthetic Amsoil Compatable to Honda Manual Trans Fluid?

Old 03-24-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Is Synthetic Amsoil Compatable to Honda Manual Trans Fluid?

Im going to be changing out the Manual 5speed trans Fluid in the 8th Gen soon. before i do that though. im trying to figure out if Amsoil synthetic syncromesh manual trans fluid would be compatable with Honda"s manual fluid to use.? on the back of the Amsoil bottle Amsoil claims it can be used in Honda Manual transmisions reason im looking into Amsoil Syncromesh Fluid is its a synthetic fluid smoother shifting longer lasting because of it being a Synthetic fluid kind. found this Video guy says the Amsoil is a step up from using OEM manual fluid any truth to that.?

Old 03-24-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Is Synthetic Amsoil Compatable to Honda Manual Trans Fluid?

Originally Posted by brags
Im going to be changing out the Manual 5speed trans Fluid in the 8th Gen soon. before i do that though. im trying to figure out if Amsoil synthetic syncromesh manual trans fluid would be compatable with Honda"s manual fluid to use.? on the back of the Amsoil bottle Amsoil claims it can be used in Honda Manual transmisions reason im looking into Amsoil Syncromesh Fluid is its a synthetic fluid smoother shifting longer lasting because of it being a Synthetic fluid kind. found this Video guy says the Amsoil is a step up from using OEM manual fluid any truth to that.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOXWmLN6uvk
I would stick with the Honda fluid (pretty sure it is synthetic).
But at the end of the day it's your car. How much do they want for a bottle of the amsoil?
Old 03-24-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

In the words of the immortal group Public Enemy, "Don't believe the hype."

Dude in the video just said honda fluid runs 11-12/quart? That's freekin high if he's in the US.
Then he says the amsoil is about double the price of Hondas fluid?
I stopped there.

Hondas MTF :: MSRP is only USD 7.43/qt right now. Check any dealers site with a parts catalog, surely they will sell at wholesale prices too.
Old 03-24-2018

Thanks for the quick reply guys but i was hoping for some hard data & facts on if Amsoil Synchromesh MTF is compatable to use.?
colin42 mentions the OEM Honda MTF could be synthetic if sooo.? then i will Just use Hondas MTF...?
Old 03-24-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Just get the Honda fluid, it's what the car is designed to use.
i don't see the point in wasting money on amsoil stuff
Old 03-25-2018

Originally Posted by Colin42
Just get the Honda fluid, it's what the car is designed to use.
i don't see the point in wasting money on amsoil stuff
Your Right about that, I read too many hit and misses not Just on Amsoil MTF but on others as well I concluded that a Universal One Size Fits all MTF Fluid was not Good enough for my tranny at the Last minute Yesterday picked up 3 Bottles of Honda MTF... soory about the side view pic its how it came out lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20180325_080312_Burst01.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	112075  
Old 03-25-2018

Just finished changing my MTF i noticed the old fluid was still clear even though

i had put nearly 70.000kms since the Last drain and fill." shifts a little more smoother i notice. Cheers guys
Old 03-25-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rogerscivic is an unknown quantity at this point

brags are you sure it takes 3 bottles of fluid to fill yours? lol just looked in my manual and it says 1.8 quarts 3 is way to much
Old 03-25-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rogerscivic
brags are you sure it takes 3 bottles of fluid to fill yours? lol just looked in my manual and it says 1.8 quarts 3 is way to much
The extra is for spillage LOL
Old 03-25-2018

Yes 1.8 under 2 bottles is what it holds. I bought the extra bottle in case i needed it, sometimes what could happen is if the tube Your useing isnt all the way in the fill hole it can run down on the floor. in that case an extra bottle would be a smarter move to have laying around especially today it being Sunday and Honda being closed. lol
Old 03-25-2018
Registered!!

makes sense." good thing to doo i should do mine im geting one of these off amazon for a quick dyi task

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-25-2018

makes sense." good thing to doo i should do mine im geting one of these off amazon for a quick dyi task

https://www.amazon.ca/Performance-To...BJ2CY70HS&th=1

To use that You will need to buy a Longer tube because i can tell You right now from Just Looking at it its... Going to be to short to use. You need one tube about 4ft Long to reach the Fill Hole? or Just use a 4ft Clear tube One end in the Fill hole and place a tranny funel on the other end tigh it up and around the hood Latch opening with wire and Fill.
Old 03-25-2018
Registered!!

Yes i will need a longer hose if i use it from the top, but from the bottom it should be alright
Old 03-26-2018

Yes i will need a longer hose if i use it from the top, but from the bottom it should be alright

No. working from the bottom You need to raise it. to get height/clearance to gain access underneath to the Drain & Fill bolts again... You need a longer 1/2 inch tube type hose. place 2 small pieces of 2x6 wood under the rear tires this helps to raise the rear of vehicle then jack the front of the car up by the "Jacking point found in the front middle of car" if You still cant find it. "Open the hood look down You will see an aero pointing to the Jacking Point found underneath where You can lift the car from jack it up enough if Your floor Jack dont have a safety lock mechanism built in like mine, then you better use "floor stands" then use a 17mm to loosen the Fill bolt 1st! No sense in loosening the drain bolt if the fill bolt wont come out.? then

use the head of a 1/4 inch ratchet to loosen the drain bolt once drained and its put back take Your tube and put it in the Fill hole then lower the front of the car until its close to being level then fill Your trans up until You see the Oil run out should take no more than 2 bottles once You see it run out tighten up the bolt and Enjoy the smooth... shifting 5 speed.
Old 04-07-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by brags
Your Right about that, I read too many hit and misses not Just on Amsoil MTF but on others as well I concluded that a Universal One Size Fits all MTF Fluid was not Good enough for my tranny at the Last minute Yesterday picked up 3 Bottles of Honda MTF... soory about the side view pic its how it came out lol

i picked up some honda manual trans fluid and just finished draining and re filing my transmission my stick shifting has improved .!feells easier at shifting through 1-2-3-4-5 Revers seems a breeze 2 . thank-You Brags.. and to all ! cheers!
Old 04-07-2018

i picked up some honda manual trans fluid and just finished draining and re filing my transmission my stick shifting has improved .!feells easier at shifting through 1-2-3-4-5 Revers seems a breeze 2 . thank-You Brags.. and to all ! cheers!

Glad to see You had a Positive Experience. I tell anyone Including my Daughters. it Never hurts to change fluids its.

"When You Neglect changing fluids that trouble shows up and when it does its never going to be cheap to Fix neither"
Old 04-08-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

I don't know why you would pay more for an aftermarket fluid but yes their fluid covers Honda MTF.

If you go to their site and look at the .pdf specifications list it states "Replaces Honda Genuine MTF fluid"

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ullDescription
Old 04-08-2018

Originally Posted by mac25
I don't know why you would pay more for an aftermarket fluid but yes their fluid covers Honda MTF.

If you go to their site and look at the .pdf specifications list it states "Replaces Honda Genuine MTF fluid"

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ullDescription
Amsoil says so...? but then again the real Kicker is (Amsoil also Claims there MTF Fluid covers mostly all other Manual transmissions.?) So really what there saying is .. its a universal 1 size fits all MTF? for most makes & models LOL... i Nahh!, stuck with what was originally engineered for the trans went with Hondas MTF paid about $33.00 Tax incl CDN. for 3 bottles of oem fluid and in all Honestly glad i did Just for the Peace of mind knowing its the right fluid for the Civic especially nowadays with transmissions being So fluid Specific You really have to be Carefull on What You pour in.