8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2012 honda civic oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ian Park is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 honda civic oil change

Hi guys!
I have a question for you!
I changed my oil just 4 month ago and "B1" signal have been shown on the screen since 1 week ago
I have been driving just 4,000km since i changed oil 4 month ago.
even i used synthetic oil.. it's odd! the oil life has been shown up 15% life on the screen.
and I checked oil color and amount yesterday it seemd quite good..
i live in Winnipeg it's pretty cold city sometimes tempurature is lower than -40.
I think it could be the reason...why oil change time come early..(or maybe repair shop used shitty oil for my car because they sent me an e-mail to notify oil change time and they said "Our records indicate you may be due for an oil change.")
who change oil every 4,000 km to use synthetic oil!!

I would like to hear your advise!
and sorry for my bad english
Old 03-05-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2012 honda civic oil change

unless the computer was reset when the oil change was done, it doesn't know that the oil was changed. If the oil looks clean and it's at the right level, just reset the computer and go in for your next oil change at whatever the mileage interval would be. (8k or 10k kms since the oil was changed last)
Old 03-05-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
unless the computer was reset when the oil change was done, it doesn't know that the oil was changed. If the oil looks clean and it's at the right level, just reset the computer and go in for your next oil change at whatever the mileage interval would be. (8k or 10k kms since the oil was changed last)
Thank you for your advice!

I would like to reset the computer but I am just worried about that my warranty could be ineffective if I just ignore this "B1" alert.
and I have no idea how my car system estimate oil life and how come this fast my oil life became 15% only with 4 months and 4,000km! driving!
I drive my car every day just 20km. it makes me so uncomfortable
Old 03-05-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ian Park
Thank you for your advice!

I would like to reset the computer but I am just worried about that my warranty could be ineffective if I just ignore this "B1" alert.
Pulled from Honda Canada this is a B1 service:

Replace engine oil* and filter.
Service front and rear brakes.
Check parking brake adjustments.
Rotate tires**, inspect for wear and adjust pressure.
Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots.
Inspect suspension components.
Inspect driveshaft boots.
Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS/VSA).
Check all fluid levels and condition of fluids.
Inspect exhaust system.
Inspect fuel lines and connections.

So besides the oil change, there's supposed to be a brake service, and a tire rotation. You live in Winnipeg? You have snow tires? Were they put on when you had this last oil change? That takes care of the tire rotation. As for the brake service? When was the last time they were serviced? If it was within 30,000 kms, then don't worry about it just reset the computer

Originally Posted by Ian Park
and I have no idea how my car system estimate oil life and how come this fast my oil life became 15% only with 4 months and 4,000km! driving!
it didn't, the shop forgot to reset the computer, it happens. The monitoring system is basically a countdown timer that also uses run time, starts and a couple other factors to determine the oil life.

You'd have to really be abusing that engine for it to hit 15% oil life in 4,000 kms, the shop forgot to reset it.
Old 03-05-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Pulled from Honda Canada this is a B1 service:

Replace engine oil* and filter.
Service front and rear brakes.
Check parking brake adjustments.
Rotate tires**, inspect for wear and adjust pressure.
Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots.
Inspect suspension components.
Inspect driveshaft boots.
Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS/VSA).
Check all fluid levels and condition of fluids.
Inspect exhaust system.
Inspect fuel lines and connections.

So besides the oil change, there's supposed to be a brake service, and a tire rotation. You live in Winnipeg? You have snow tires? Were they put on when you had this last oil change? That takes care of the tire rotation. As for the brake service? When was the last time they were serviced? If it was within 30,000 kms, then don't worry about it just reset the computer

it didn't, the shop forgot to reset the computer, it happens. The monitoring system is basically a countdown timer that also uses run time, starts and a couple other factors to determine the oil life.

You'd have to really be abusing that engine for it to hit 15% oil life in 4,000 kms, the shop forgot to reset it.
Yes, I i changed my all season tires to winter tires just 3 month ago so I don't think i need tire rotation now and when i changed engine oil there were brake service(visual car inspection) as well
there was no issue with brakes and it was just 4 months ago.

I don't think they forgot to reset the computer because it was 100% oil life on the system. when i checked oil life on the system after they changed oil..hm
i am so confused now...but i am sure i will change oil and winter tires to all season tires with spring car inspection service in 2 months...I bought this car just 1 year ago..it's a used car
so it's time to get 44 point car inspection !!

Thank you so much your advice!!
Old 03-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they forgot to reset the computer because it was 100% oil life on the system. when i checked oil life on the system after they changed oil.
Ok it was reset when the last oil change was done, so now it's due for an oil change again.
Right? Right. Yea.

Does the car idle a lot? Sit and run to warm up a while before driving?
Time spent idling also counts against the maintenance minder system, it tracks all that stuff and more.
Old 03-05-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Ok it was reset when the last oil change was done, so now it's due for an oil change again.
Right? Right. Yea.

Does the car idle a lot? Sit and run to warm up a while before driving?
Time spent idling also counts against the maintenance minder system, it tracks all that stuff and more.
I drive almost everyday to go to work ..it's about 20km driving...
and road is actually not good i stop a lot on the road by traffic light and winter is so cold here..
i think that could be a reason to make oil status bad.. i pluged my car everynight but i didn't plug my car at work...when temperature is like -15 ~ -40..

It's not a problem to change oil now but i have been so curious why my oil change time came so early than other people..
Thank you so much your advice again
Old 03-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It's a glorified mileage counter, but at the same time it's far more than a simple stupid mileage counter.

Temperatures (both ambient and engine), idle time, warmup time, trip length, RPM, loads, driving conditions, all sorts of data are taken into consideration for the service interval calculations.

Except an actual sample of the fluid itself. The system has no way to directly monitor ANYTHING in the car, so it's always a wise idea to inspect regularly, and always keep detailed records of all service work for future reference.

about 20km driving
when temperature is like -15 ~ -40..
If you are not on the highway doing 90kmh+, that engine probably never reaches operating temperature!
I drive a 2012 and I have an ultragauge hooked up so I can see engine temp and other data in real time (because the car doesn't have a temp gauge).........

I know the heater fan will take away a whole lot of valuable heat from the engine while driving, and I know well how quick that engine can get COLD while idling in traffic or a drive thru with the heater fan on high.

When it's below freezing here my engine never reaches operating temp (190F+) on my daily work commute. At (-15C) I could drive all through my town for 45 minutes and it still didn't get warmed up (stop/go below 40 MPH/65kmh)

----------------

When customers come in, I see the minders allow anywhere from 4000 miles to well over 10,000 miles, it all depends on how the cars are driven. Someone who drives all highway in sunny 80*F weather is going to be allowed to go far more miles than a soccer mom driver in the frozen tundra