8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Issue with my sound quality... bad speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aloupha is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Issue with my sound quality... bad speakers?

I have a 2015 EXL, and I notice that my speakers project an annoying sound when I am using Google Map, Waze, or on a phone call. It's worst when I am streaming my Google Map or Waze's sound than phone calls.

The sound is like my speakers have a cold or something. The noise hurts my ear... it is almost as if there's a tear on the speakers and the sound vibration from that tear is causing that noise. I am not entirely sure where the weird noise is coming from. The weird thing is that playing regular music works just fine. I tried adjusting my treble, and that helped a little. However, the overall sound is terrible. I am very sensitive when it comes to sound. The tiniest/lowest rattling, tapping, or whatever else type of odd sound literally drives me nuts, so I really need to do something about this.

Are my speakers bad? If they are, why don't I have the same problem streaming music even with the treble at 100%? If not the speakers, what else could it be?
Old 02-07-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Issue with my sound quality... bad speakers?

Originally Posted by Aloupha
I have a 2015 EXL, and I notice that my speakers project an annoying sound when I am using Google Map, Waze, or on a phone call. It's worst when I am streaming my Google Map or Waze's sound than phone calls.

The sound is like my speakers have a cold or something. The noise hurts my ear... it is almost as if there's a tear on the speakers and the sound vibration from that tear is causing that noise. I am not entirely sure where the weird noise is coming from. The weird thing is that playing regular music works just fine. I tried adjusting my treble, and that helped a little. However, the overall sound is terrible. I am very sensitive when it comes to sound. The tiniest/lowest rattling, tapping, or whatever else type of odd sound literally drives me nuts, so I really need to do something about this.

Are my speakers bad? If they are, why don't I have the same problem streaming music even with the treble at 100%? If not the speakers, what else could it be?
try using an aux cord and see how it sounds then?
Old 02-07-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
try using an aux cord and see how it sounds then?
My civic doesn't have an AUX port.
Old 02-08-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

If it sounds fine playing regular music then it’s not the speaker. Sounds like it’s the Bluetooth connection. Could be app or phone related too.

Can you try another phone or iPod or something?
Is it an OEM radio or aftermarket?
Old 02-08-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
If it sounds fine playing regular music then it’s not the speaker. Sounds like it’s the Bluetooth connection. Could be app or phone related too.

Can you try another phone or iPod or something?
Is it an OEM radio or aftermarket?
I could try another phone I guess. I could also try a different navigation app and see.

The music is also via Bluetooth though, so why would it be okay for one and not the other?

It's the OEM radio.
Old 02-08-2018
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Aloupha
I could try another phone I guess. I could also try a different navigation app and see.

The music is also via Bluetooth though, so why would it be okay for one and not the other?

It's the OEM radio.
That's a good point which leads me to think its the app.

Do you put the phone in a different spot when using nav then listening to music? Maybe its getting interference or something.
Old 02-09-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
That's a good point which leads me to think its the app.

Do you put the phone in a different spot when using nav then listening to music? Maybe its getting interference or something.
It's in the same place. I always have it on the phone holder.

Also, I have the problem Google Maps, Waze, and phone calls.

Last edited by Aloupha; 02-09-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-12-2018
Registered!!

This issue continues to plague me. I had planned on replacing the speakers anyways, and maybe I should go ahead and do that.

Any recommendations for a good speaker set for this civic?

My definition of good is as follow:

1) Can project bass and treble sound very well at very low volume.
2) I don't need a subwoofer, so the bass on he speakers should do a good job without it.
3) Does not freak out at high volume

I have been checking out some speakers on Crutchfield, and I see lots of options. Unfortunately, picking a good set is not my forte. I love sound but know nothing about it, so the specs mean little to me. I intend to change that, but for now your help is greatly appreciated.

Though I would like to replace all four (maybe the tweters too, but I haven't noticed any issues with the stock ones), I think I will start with the two front speakers. I saw a video on YouTube on how to replace the back ones, and he process was too cumbersome for me to deal with right now.

What's your recommendation?
Old 02-12-2018
Prelude Owner

Generally speaking the more money a speaker cost the higher the sound quality. I do think there is a point at which the ear (at least mine) can not tell the difference. Get the best you can in your budget. With it being an OEM unit it wont be outputting much power 24W maybe so you don't need any 100W speakers.

Some brands that I have had personal experience with and would buy again are:

Harmon Kardon
Infinity ( a division of Harmon Kardon)
Sony
Alpine

Other good companies:

Kenwood
Pioneer
Rockford Fosgate
JBL

If streaming music through your phone make sure your EQ is set properly. It can be difference between a tin can and concert! That goes for the radio unit as well really!
Old 04-30-2018
Registered!!

Just an update, I still have not replaced my speakers yet. However, the issues I outlined above have magically vanished. I think the problem may have been my phone. It wouldn't have vanished otherwise.