8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Buying a Civic - Need Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aloupha is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Buying a Civic - Need Assistance

All,

I am on the market for a new vehicle, and I am seriously considering the 2015 Honda Civic EX-L. I initially wanted a 2014-2016 Chrysler 200, but I am now leaning toward the Civic due to durability, fuel economy, and some other perks.I have always loved the Toyota Camry or the Nissan Maxima, but for my price range and the things I want in the car, I ruled out those two. I am now 95% sure I will be buying this car in the next couple of days.

My question to existing owners:
  1. What are some of the things specific to this model that I should look out for or ask the sale rep before making the purchase?
  2. Are there any software upgrades I need to make sure the dealer addressed? I have a Town and Country that needed software upgrade on its auto start system and stereo unit.
  3. I test drove a 2014, and the car was a little shaky (not a lot, just a little). The sales rep told me it had something to do with the car being on the lot for a while and the cold weather. It should be normal after driving it for about 30 miles or so? I don't really believe that to be true, but it's a moot point since I won't be getting the 2014. The 2015 I test drove wasn't as shaky, but it still shook a little. It's not the road. Is there a shakiness problem with this model?
  4. Is it worth getting extended warranty (sure, it is always better to get warranty, but is it necessary?) on a 2015 model with 45k miles on it for this car?
  5. The steering wheel size seems a bit smaller than normal. Would a regular 14-15 inch steering wheel cover fit on it?
  6. The sound on the 2014 EXL I drove vs the 2015 EXL sounded much better. Is there really a difference between the speakers on the two models, or am I just being paranoid? I am very sensitive to sound.
  7. The two I test drove were 4 cylinders, and I didn't find any issue. Is there anything about the 4 cylinder I should be concerned about?
  8. Anything else I have no mentioned...?
I am really looking to buying this car in two days, so your help is very appreciated.

In case you can't tell, this will be my first Honda vehicle.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying a Civic - Need Assistance

Are there any software upgrades I need to make sure the dealer addressed?
Hard to say, every car is different and most of our software updates are only done when directed specifically by relevant service information to address very specific issues.
Is it at a HOnda dealership ? Ask the service department to plug it into the scanner and check

The sales rep told me it had something to do with the car being on the lot for a while and the cold weather. It should be normal after driving it for about 30 miles or so?
Yes it's normal for just about any car. Tires can develop flat spots from sitting still for very long periods, and weather conditions, both hot and cold.

Only way to get the tires to come out of it is to drive it for a while. 30 miles may be enough, might need more if it's bitter cold out.
Is it worth getting extended warranty
Can't comment.
If you do, I'd suggest you look into Hondacare, they seem to cover more than most others.
The steering wheel size seems a bit smaller than normal.
It's normal for that car.
It might be smaller than some other brands but IMO it feels good after you get used to it.

An oversize wheel cover may just slip around and be dangerous....I see that a lot and wonder how in the world some people can drive like that.

The sound on the 2014 EXL I drove vs the 2015 EXL sounded much better. Is there really a difference between the speakers on the two models, or am I just being paranoid? I am very sensitive to sound.
Not enough info.....but probably just paranoid. Did the radios look identical? Adjust bass/treble settings?
Old 12-28-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Is it at a Honda dealership ? Ask the service department to plug it into the scanner and check
Unfortunately, it isn't. I couldn't find an EX-L from the dealerships nearby.

Yes it's normal for just about any car. Tires can develop flat spots from sitting still for very long periods, and weather conditions, both hot and cold.
Only way to get the tires to come out of it is to drive it for a while. 30 miles may be enough, might need more if it's bitter cold out.
According the Carfax, it's been seating on the lot for about 31 days. It's not that cold here in NC. The dealer did say all four tires are newly installed, and I can see from the carfax. Maybe that has something to do with it too? Don't know.

Can't comment.
If you do, I'd suggest you look into Hondacare, they seem to cover more than most others.
Being that it is not a Honda Dealership, Hondacare may not be available. I'll inquire about it anyway. Thanks for the info.

It's normal for that car.
It might be smaller than some other brands but IMO it feels good after you get used to it.

An oversize wheel cover may just slip around and be dangerous....I see that a lot and wonder how in the world some people can drive like that.
I am used a steering wheel less than the standard size. I just prefer the regular size steering wheel. Plus, I like having a cover on the steering wheel, and I could not find covers for sizes less than 14 inches.

Not enough info.....but probably just paranoid. Did the radios look identical? Adjust bass/treble settings?
The radios looked exactly the same, but there was one slight difference on the equalizer. As you adjust the settings on the bass/treble, the bars are highlighted on the 2014 but not on the 2015. (Not sure why I remember that). The first thing I did was adjust the Bass/Treble settings to the max on both cars. The leader allows me to take it home overnight to test it, so I will be sure to play with it some more. As I said, I am very sensitive to sound. Attached is a picture of the actual radio on the 2015.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-33.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	111893  
Old 12-30-2017
Registered!!

Well, I went ahead and purchased the vehicle. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-30-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The system ghosted your reply #3, didn't see it til just now.
Congrats on the purchase!
Old 01-04-2018
Registered!!

maverickfhs is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats and enjoy many safe miles on it