8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

8th gen Si versus modified EX

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rk97 is on a distinguished road
8th gen Si versus modified EX

I have resigned myself to the fact that I require a back seat, reliable AC, and probably 4 doors... My motorcycles are sold, and I put about 500 miles/week (that's 25k/year) on my current 2003 Corolla.

The 'rolla is running just fine, but I know it won't last forever with the pace at which I accumulate miles. With that in mind, I am debating my next car NOW, so that I have my research done and a budget in mind if the need arises to make a (relatively) quick purchase.

A manual transmission WILL replace the soul-sucking slush box I currently own. I would love to rationalize an older sedan as a "main" car and to buy a miata or a mustang as my "fun" car, but that's just not a practical option with garage space, etc.

I am going to end up with 1 car that has to do it all. The 4-door 8th gen Si is about as close as I'm finding. My primary question is whether a modified EX would (or could) be equally as fun, and provide a bit of a "sleeper" appeal.

The Si is a well-tested commodity. There are plenty of performance stats available for it. I'd like to hear from people who have nitrous kits or turbos on their EX.
Old 12-14-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 8th gen Si versus modified EX

The Si and Ex are equally fun as far as the chassis is concerned. The Si will have a more tunable engine and imo a better platform to build upon.

I don’t blame you for wanting to get rid of the Corolla and slushbox. A corolla is about as exciting to drive as a grapefruit and add a auto trans and it’s no fun.
Old 12-14-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rk97 is on a distinguished road

"boring" is about the nicest thing I can say about the corolla. In the (nearly) 100,000 miles i've owned it, the only thing I've replaced other than routine maintenance is a wheel bearing and a thermostat.

I'm being greedy with my expectations for my next car... I want it to do everything, and still be inexpensive to purchase. Something's going to have to suffer, but I can't decide what.

I commute 100 miles a day, so fuel economy is a consideration (although paying $6k for the car rather than $10k would make a difference)

I live in Northern Ohio, so it has to be decent in snow (snow tires will be a given if I go w/ a RWD platform. I owned a 2wd Ranger for years. I have no issue controlling a RWD car in the snow, but the inability to gain forward traction from a stop is a concern)

I like acceleration. I've owned and raced motorcycles for a decade now... Even a crappy motorcycle runs the quarter mile in 13 seconds. My wife's SUV gets to 60 in under 7.5 seconds. It's not that I'm trying to "boy racer" my commuter on every entrance ramp, but I like it when a car is able to get out of its own way.

Honestly, handling isn't a major factor for me. I'm not taking my car out for pleasure trips. I would rather go mountain biking, or I'll buy another motorcycle if time ever allows for such things.

A back seat is preferable. I have 2 kids. Both are in car seats right now, but one is old enough to buckle herself in. Neither are in my car very frequently, so I don't NEED a back seat (miata), or a back seat that fits actual adults (mustang, camaro).

I like "sleepers." The older Forrester XTs are shockingly quick to 60 mph. Like 5ish seconds quick. The problem is that it's the result of really short gearing, and they get around 22mpg, if i'm lucky.

I really need to decide if I just want to keep the corolla (forever) and buy something objectively "sports car," or if a Civic Si, VW GTI, Subaru WRX is the happy medium, and a real "do it all" option.
Old 12-14-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

You sound like me sometimes lol. I have 2 kids and want a Miata or Cobra as a fun car buts it’s not practical for everyday use. I rarely have the kids in my car but if need be my Fit will step up to the challenge. I have come to the conclusion that for me it would be best to keep my Fit as my daily and wait until I can get what I really want so that I don’t have to compromise as much.

Buy cheap hatchback and make it fast or buy Mustang Cobra and just have fun. Time and money will determine this ultimately which is also dependent on what the kids do so I am sitting tight at the moment.

Good luck though it’s a lot to think about. I think this is why STI’s are popular because they are practical and fun/fast but I don’t want to shell out that kind of money.

Last edited by GolNat; 12-14-2017 at 01:22 PM.