Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

2014 lx cvt question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adnowo is an unknown quantity at this point
2014 lx cvt question

Fill plug on cvt keeps working itself out i assume i have a plugged vent line. Anyone have same issue? Or location of vent tube ? Thanks
The following users liked this post:
jstasney (11-07-2021)
Old 11-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 lx cvt question

Popping out the rubber plug on top of the trans?

Vent is the little cap with the small leg, item #3 in this parts catalog diagram
Old 11-18-2017
Registered!!

Yes the rubber plug. Every other oil change it is laying on top of the transmission .thank you for the info. i will check that vent tomorrow
Old 11-18-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnowo
Yes the rubber plug. Every other oil change it is laying on top of the transmission
Is someone not pushing it all the way into the hole? Does it not fit snugly in the hole?

I've not noticed one pop out on its own.

Clean off any fluid and insert it into the hole dry?
Old 11-18-2017
Registered!!

I do the maintenance on the car so i am the one who replaces it. Seems like it should fit a little more tightly. Ive called dealer to have them check service bulletins or if they have been seeing it they said no. Plan is to check that vent and maybe order a new plug
Old 11-18-2017

Ive called dealer to have them check service bulletins or if they have been seeing it they said no.
Correct, no bulletins at this point.
Old 12-02-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rayscdn is an unknown quantity at this point

just clean the vent breather and re-use hole plug or better order a new one ?
also do seem to have transmission oil spill out but for safety should i refill or change it?
Old 12-27-2019
Registered!!

Noah Halter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rayscdn
also do seem to have transmission oil spill out but for safety should i refill or change it?

I am curious about this as well, especially because there is not even a dip stick so I’m not sure if I would even know if it was low or dirty.
Old 01-26-2020
Registered!!

Tweed1220 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rayscdn
Same question should I top off the trans fluid?
Old 01-27-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,128 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Fluid is cheap, a trans is not, just make sure you buy the correct fluid
Old 02-03-2020
Registered!!

Noah Halter is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the information on this forum, after cleaning the small release rubber valve the problem was fixed. I also switched out the larger plug but I don't think that made a difference because the rubber on the old one seemed the same quality.
Old 06-26-2020
Registered!!

Adhdbandit703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noah Halter
Thank you for the information on this forum, after cleaning the small release rubber valve the problem was fixed. I also switched out the larger plug but I don't think that made a difference because the rubber on the old one seemed the same quality.
Hey i wanted to know if to take that breather valve do you need a special tool or do you just pull it out?
Old 06-26-2020

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Should just pull off
Old 06-26-2020
Registered!!

Randyp2020 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cleaned out the breather cap. Went to put it back on and lost it. Anyone know where to find a replacement?
Old 06-27-2020

Dealer/junkyard
Old 06-27-2020

Originally Posted by Randyp2020
Cleaned out the breather cap. Went to put it back on and lost it. Anyone know where to find a replacement?
You didn't find the one you dropped?
If it lands on top of the trans it might be well hidden
If it falls down the front it might land in the rad fan shroud area, but most of the time it's found laying on one of the plastic/metal splash panels under the engine compartment

Sources:
Honda dealership parts department (I'd expect most wouldn't stock it, have to order)
honda part# 21396-P20-000, msrp is under 6 us dollars (plus tax).
I'd call and say 'hi, can you check if you have this part number in stock please' (read off that part number), and 'ok what's my cost on it?'
Most dealers can have it for you by the next day. if you order before a certain time.

If 6 bucks is too much and you feel really ambitious
Junkyard/youpull (several models use the same trans vent breather cap)
Online dealers and junkyards

If you want to shop price I think all of these are within pennies of each other and well below MSRP, but shipping can be killer sometimes so check it all out
hondapartsnow
hondapartscheap
bkhondaparts
hondaautomotiveparts
hondapartsconnection
.com/
I'm sure there are more dealerships selling online at wholesale prices if you search

Old 07-12-2020
Registered!!

Adhdbandit703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin42
Should just pull off
thanks to everyone i fixed the issue with my fill plug poppin out on its own i pulled off the breather cleaned it and bought a new fill plug and it hasnt popped out once. Thanks everyone for the info on here....
Old 10-09-2020
Registered!!

Nikki Harmon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Adhdbandit703
thanks to everyone i fixed the issue with my fill plug poppin out on its own i pulled off the breather cleaned it and bought a new fill plug and it hasnt popped out once. Thanks everyone for the info on here....

What about now has it not popped out any still? Because I had the same problem and I zip tied mine down and it blew transmission fluid everywhere, I blew it from underneath the plug
Old 10-25-2020
Registered!!

Nikki Harmon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Is someone not pushing it all the way into the hole? Does it not fit snugly in the hole?

I've not noticed one pop out on its own.

Clean off any fluid and insert it into the hole dry?
yes and mine is zip tied down and fluid is still coming out everywhere from somewhere
Old 10-25-2020

Did you clean/replace the vent cap?
Old 03-11-2021
Registered!!

Lancelink is an unknown quantity at this point

We were losing lots of fluid from loose pressure sensor. It's accessible by removing front left (driver) tire. Unfasten the small plastic guard (two push clips). The sensor on mine took a 27 mm wrench.
A separate issue was the plug popping out. Dried it, reinserted same plug, vent cap was fully clogged, cleared with a little brake cleaner and small zip tie as suggested earlier. Fingers are crossed that'll do the trick on the plug.
Old 03-15-2021
Registered!!

jstasney is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: 2014 lx cvt question

We had our 2014 cvt transaxle fill plug to pop out, as well. 138,xxx mile, zero transmission oil changes. Was told by a master tech not to if it hadn't been changed every 30-60k and there was no oil filter.
Was also told by Honda parts there is no filter nor breather vent.
I had to have him bring a print out of the CVT to show him there was.
To my surprise here in this forum I learn there is a trans fluid filter and the fluid should be changed that often.
I was told by Honda service they don't change this filter, only the oil.
Furthermore, I was told, they never check nor clean the breather vent.
I swear, I thought I was talking to the dumbass behind the counter in the rock auto commercial when he also said ''we don't keep those parts in stock but I can have the warehouse deliver them tomorrow''.
But, we never change those parts too.
I felt like saying, do you also not change the oil filter when you change the engine oil too??
How about checking the PCV valve and cleaning it??
My God people, this is a Honda Parts House saying this!!!
We're screwed without forums like this!
I hope this filter has saved the transmission and I got to it in time!
David13 (08-28-2022)
Old 11-06-2021
Registered!!

avTronic is an unknown quantity at this point

Things I know. Honda service locations and techs only go by what Honda specifies and are not to think outside the box for you. Don’t take this as them being idiots. When they say there is no filter to replace that is the spec. Yes there is a filter on the CVT (actually 2 that I found) and they are meant to go the expected life of the transmission. Vehicles (and transmission; even CVT) these days can last much longer than what the manufacturer will support.
The filters job is not meant to catch major material and especially not metallic material. There are other mechanisms in place to help with this but this is after excessive wear possibly from a failure. If your filter is so clogged that it needs changing, then there is something failing in your transmission or you have an excessive amount of miles on it. If you are prolonging the life of the transmission then you are on your own to find a replace what you think is needed. Honda owes you nothing at this point.
When I changed the fluid at 80k, on the wives 2014 coupe, I only replaced one filter, the easier one. The other one was smaller and required much more than I was willing to deal with that day. Over 100k and all is still going well with that CVT that I am still weary of but thankfully I never drive the car or it surely would have failed by now.
We also had the issue with the plug popping out and had no idea if fluid had spilled or worse, if water had got up in there. There was no sign of fluid but thus was when I first changed the fluid. I researched the issue and found the rubber vent cap and it was clogged. Cleaned it and the plug, changed the fluid and no pop outs for sometime (checked it every month for about 6/7 months). Over 1.5 years later and saw it was out again. Who knows how long it had been out since I had not checked in so long with much going on in life. Again, everything was dry with no sign of fluid spillage. Cleaned the vent cap and replaced the plug with two small dabs of weak glue that will release with ease when needed. If the pressure pops this out then I know the pressure is significant but I think it’s not at all. Possibly just perfect storm where you hit a bump and rise up and the transmission is revved up and then coming down under full load on a warm day? Who knows. If you have fluid spill out then this is happening under much more stressful conditions. Again just a guess but I know how you all got rid these toys.
I may update after a few months to see if the plugged stated in. I may even pull on it to see if the glue actually held or the rubber, metal, heat and fluid caused it to break loose even if it didn’t pop out.
Mistydawn (02-24-2023)
Old 11-07-2021
Registered!!

Angry Re: 2014 lx cvt question

Originally Posted by ezone
Correct, no bulletins at this point.
I like the way the Honda bulletins drag their knuckles on a obvious warning bulletin that ''this does happen''.
The vent plug hole is entirely too small and clogs very easily with road dust collecting on fluid seepage causing it to pop off or the fill plug to pop out.
Either way, not venting the transmission fluid of air expansion in cold to heat cycles of warming up.
Maybe Honda should have a small burp bottle like a radiator to seal off and correct the problem?
Gluing any rubber plug on the transmission will be a failed attempt at solving the problem.
1. The fluid will continue to expand and contract with cold/heating up cycles.
Thus causing air expansion within the transmission.
Gluing on a vent plug/fill plug will force the expansion to occur else where.
Think leaking, blown transmission ''seals''.
A much more serious problem.

On the transmission fluid change without the obvious coolant block filter change too?
Are you kidding me?
Honda does not have this coolant block filter change with a trans fluid change as a requirement?
How many times have you changed engine oil and not changed the oil filter?
It's the same thing Brandon!
Worse because it has 80k miles on it.
I can't believe that is dealership standard procedure.
Come on on Honda!
Really?

Last edited by jstasney; 11-07-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-07-2021
Registered!!

Update, so far so good. Tranny seems ok.
Rubber plugs still in.
At least now I know to service these items now too.
Old 11-07-2021
Registered!!

avTronic is an unknown quantity at this point

When you have an engineering degree and maybe have worked designing transmission, I’ll be happy to hear your point of view. I have a mechanical engineering degree, even though I do not design transmission, I can assure you that the glue I used is minimal strength glue that can break away, if the pressure was ever that intense. Also, keep in mind that this plug was designed to pressure fit tighter and hold more under pressure/vibration from the factory and it’s holding force has weakened over time, allowing it to pop off with ease.
These plugs are not popping off because the vent tube/cap IGUs becomes blocked with a little buildup. As a matter of fact, I have theorized that these vent caps don’t get “clogged up” until the plug pops off first. The much larger plug opening is now acting as a more than sufficient breather port. Since the original small vent cap (and it is relatively so much smaller) now does not have air pushing in and out of it’s rubber opening, it is now easily prone to dust and grime build up as well as any trans fluid that might actually reach it in very rare occasions (or at least some vapor). Note that this vent tube is designed to prevent fluid from hitting it directly in most all situations (checkout the breakaway drawing for this). With the plug more securely in place this vent will properly breath and keep it self from becomes blocked. This will easily be proven over time in the scenario that this experiment is in now and I can post results in the coming months.
As far as transmission filters please do extensive research in this as I have. It’s easy to have a myopic viewpoint on this subject with limited experience on newer transmission design, especially when theorizing on alternate plane.

Originally Posted by jstasney
I like the way the Honda bulletins drag their knuckles on a obvious warning bulletin that ''this does happen''.
The vent plug hole is entirely too small and clogs very easily with road dust collecting on fluid seepage causing it to pop off or the fill plug to pop out.
Either way, not venting the transmission fluid of air expansion in cold to heat cycles of warming up.
Maybe Honda should have a small burp bottle like a radiator to seal off and correct the problem?
Gluing any rubber plug on the transmission will be a failed attempt at solving the problem.
1. The fluid will continue to expand and contract with cold/heating up cycles.
Thus causing air expansion within the transmission.
Gluing on a vent plug/fill plug will force the expansion to occur else where.
Think leaking, blown transmission ''seals''.
A much more serious problem.

On the transmission fluid change without the obvious coolant block filter change too?
Are you kidding me?
Honda does not have this coolant block filter change with a trans fluid change as a requirement?
How many times have you changed engine oil and not changed the oil filter?
It's the same thing Brandon!
Worse because it has 80k miles on it.
I can't believe that is dealership standard procedure.
Come on on Honda!
Really?
Old 11-11-2021
Registered!!

Old 09-29-2022
Registered!!

Deanshark is an unknown quantity at this point

This plug popping out has happened to my daughter's 2015 civic a few times in the past year. I never knew it was a known problem til now. I don't have much knowledge of this engine and tranny cuz nothing has gone wrong with it since new except for the trans fluid pressure sensor being loose a week after she bought the car. (new)
I've read a bit about cleaning the vent cap. Problem is, I can't see it. Does stuff need to be removed to get to the vent cap? Such as any of the air intake tubes or battery, or whatever else is in that area? Is it towards the firewall or the front of car?
Any help is appreciated. She's supposed to go on vacation next week so I'd like to have this done. I did order a new OEM plug even though I still have this one.
Old 09-29-2022

There's a diagram showing the location of the vent cap in one of the first posts
Old 09-29-2022
Registered!!

Deanshark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin42
There's a diagram showing the location of the vent cap in one of the first posts
Thank you Colin, I saw the diagram but what I was asking was "what needs to come off to get to it, or even see it?"

Edit: Nevermind I found it. I saw on a different forum the guy said the vent cap is 4" to the left of the plug.
I was looking right in the area of the plug. At least I know for next time.

Last edited by Deanshark; 09-29-2022 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 lx cvt question