8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2015 Honda Civic LX - battery replacement w/ OEM or 3rd party part?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SidCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2015 Honda Civic LX - battery replacement w/ OEM or 3rd party part?

Hi,

I have a 2015 Honda Civic LX Sedan CVT Automatic 1.8 Liter 4 cyclinder, live in sunny San Diego, California, and drive 80% highway miles. I searched the threads, but couldn't find a straightforward answer to these q's.

1. Should I replace the battery with the OEM battery or a 3rd party part?
2. Would you trust this type of install to a private shop or dealer only? *I don't want to do it myself even though I'm aware it would be a joke for most of you.
3. Is wiping with a damp towel (h20 only) ok for monthly corrosion maintenance, and is grease on the terminals a good way to prevent corrosion or can that cause other probs?

Thank you for your opinion, this forum is a beast!
Old 11-08-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2015 Honda Civic LX - battery replacement w/ OEM or 3rd party part?

1) So long as it's the same group size number you should be fine. Also depends on how much you want to spend. In my 2002, I went through 3 batteries. First I replaced because I wanted an Optima Yellow Top. Replaced the Optima with an AutoZone Duralast Gold battery when that finally died, and my car died before the Duralast Gold died.
To give you a timeline of my battery consumption:
2002: Bought car with OEM battery installed.
2004: Replaced (still good) OEM with Optima Yellow Top
2014: Replaced Optima Yellow Top with AutoZone battery
2017: RIP car

2) Either works just fine. I personally like doing stuff myself, but to each their own.

3) Wire brush every now and again if you're really worried about it and wipe the crap off with a paper towel. None of my batteries ever got preventive maintenance for corrosion inhibition. Considering you live in a place with pretty much 1.5 seasons, I'd say you'll be fine. My car started in Vegas desert heat, then to Charleston, SC where it saw humidity like no other, then to upstate NY during the winter, then 4.5 years in the PNW where it saw rain for 10/12 months of the year, then finished out from 2010 to 2017 back in Vegas. All the while, no corrosion problems.
Old 11-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Interstate brand is my preference, available just about anywhere under many different brand names

Group 51-R is the type or size.

Warranties vary from store to store.

Hondas replacement battery carries 100 month warranty (pro-rated)
If you can replace it yourself, then a pro-rated warranty is not much benefit IMO.
You can find less expensive equivalent batteries just about anywhere, including walmart and the like.

ALMOST anyone can install a battery. Not many will screw it up, but it sure happens a lot, including mechanics (so you may as well give it a try yourself).

I don't bother wiping a battery...I haven't touched mine since I installed it.
If it's dirty and it bothers you, just hose it off.
Grease reduces the likelihood of corrosion, but is no guarantee it won't happen.
Old 11-10-2017
Registered!!

Smile Re: 2015 Honda Civic LX - battery replacement w/ OEM or 3rd party part?

Rice Boy & Ezone - Thank you both for the detailed responses!

1. Does it matter if the group size is D51-R vs. 51-R?
----Would a deep cycle battery like Optima's yellowtop provide more reliability or be better in any way over a non-deep cycle battery?

2. Is Honda's OEM battery a deep cycle battery?

3. Ezone, you said Interstate was your brand of preference, and was available under different brand names. I imagine some of those brands names are more or less expensive than the baseline Interstate brand. Which specific brand type do you use Ezone?

Optima yellow top D51-R: https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...1.8L&find=find

Interstate 51-R:
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...earch-results#

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-11-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I should have said Johnson Controls owns the Interstate batteries brand, etc. etc.

I think there are something like only 6 or 8 major battery manufacturers, but hundreds of private label retailers selling various batteries made by those few companies.
1. Does it matter if the group size is D51-R vs. 51-R?
The group size is called 51R. Period. That "group" specs the physical dimensions and post locations.
The rest of the letters mean other things and vary amongst retailers.

Does D stand for Deep cycle?
Absolute NO to deep cycle. That's typically for marine use, not automotive.
2. Is Honda's OEM battery a deep cycle battery?
Nope.

I got nuthin on Optimas......but Johnson Controls owns that brand name too. And Exide. And others.

You went to the interstate batteries website
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/battery-finder
They show 2 choices, Mega Tron being their better offering (MT51R) under their brand name.

Which specific brand type do you use Ezone?
Usually something free.......

I can sometimes get decent used batteries if I wait long enough, that's how I got the OE Honda battery I have in my (Mazda) truck at the moment. I've had many used batteries in the truck (and other cars of mine over the years)....and the truck just sits most of the time. I may have driven it 100 miles this year LOL

My Civic currently has a Honda labeled replacement battery in it....it's an Interstate battery, they come from the same warehouse and are delivered by the interstate batteries truck.
They could slap a Toyota sticker or "Freds' Batteries" sticker or Triple A sticker on it and call it whatever they want to call it.

The battery currently in my Civic I actually paid for, when I got it it was 2 degrees out and I had to go on a road trip for a week, I needed one right then and there. Couldn't wait for a freebie to show up.

Long story short......if you ever need a battery covered under warranty it's probably easier to find a retailer of a major brand name (Interstate Batteries has many retailers nationwide) than it is to find someone in a town 500 miles away from you selling "Freds' Batteries' label no matter which battery company made that unit.
You can probably find a Walmart in just about every town too, so there's that to consider.

Also check Consumer Reports for what they say are most reliable car batteries. Seems like at one time an Autozone brand was on their best list.
Old 11-11-2017
Registered!!

Question Re: 2015 Honda Civic LX - battery replacement w/ OEM or 3rd party part?

Hi Ezone,

Thanks for the super detailed reply! I will buy an Interstate, Honda OEM, or major retailer branded battery like you recommended. The rest of this convo is solely to learn. You said deep cycle was usually for marine equipment; absolute NO to using it in cars.

1. How come then Consumer Reports, Amazon, multiple posts on this forum, and Optima's own website claim the Optima [B]deep cycle D51-R YellowTop battery can and is used in many cars (especially Hondas)?

2. Is this a different type of deep cycle or am I missing something that advanced peeps understand?

Optima D51-R YellowTop: https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...67602_113190_0

Last edited by SidCivic; 11-11-2017 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Amazon link broken, replaced with Autozone link
Old 11-11-2017

Originally Posted by SidCivic
Hi Ezone,

Thanks for the super detailed reply! I will buy an Interstate, Honda OEM, or major retailer branded battery like you recommended. The rest of this convo is solely to learn. You said deep cycle was usually for marine equipment; absolute NO to using it in cars.

1. How come then Consumer Reports, Amazon, multiple posts on this forum, and Optima's own website claim the Optima [B]deep cycle D51-R YellowTop battery can and is used in many cars (especially Hondas)?

2. Is this a different type of deep cycle or am I missing something that advanced peeps understand?
All the cool kids be coppin a Optimo.

Does your car have a huge thumping stereo?
Do you have a serious need for a specialty battery in an econobox commuter car?

OMFG I just saw the price of that thing. At least double the price of a regular battery? Not for me, thanks.
I'll spend that much on the AGM in my motorcycle though LOL

I'm sure there are some big differences between that Optima and a traditional deep cycle battery.
I'm not even sure what they are considering a deep cycle duty is the same as the traditional implication.

As I stated, I have zero practical experience with Optima batteries. If you look on the net, (google optima battery review) you can find references to tricky stuff that happens if the battery discharges below a certain level: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/12/product-review-optima-batteries/

Optima is apparently classed as a spiral wound, AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) type battery. Definitely different.

A traditional deep cycle marine battery is lead-acid flooded type, and is designed to be fully charged, then slowly and deeply discharged repeatedly throughout its lifespan.
Think...using it to run an electric trolling motor every time one takes the boat out for a day of fishing. All day, until the thing won't run anymore. Take it home and recharge it, go back out the next day. Repeat.

OTOH a normal car battery is designed to deliver a very high amount of amperage for a very brief period (it's main purpose is to operate the electric starter, 100-200+ amps for up to 15 seconds) then be slowly recharged by the alternator as the vehicle is driven. Deep (long term) discharging of this battery can dramatically shorten its expected lifespan.

An average car driver cannot take advantage of the unique properties of a traditional deep cycle battery. Sure it can be installed and used but that's not its intended purpose.
Old 11-11-2017
Registered!!

Smile Re: 2015 Honda Civic LX - battery replacement w/ OEM or 3rd party part?

Hi Ezone,

Wow, very helpful informative post! The extra explanation you gave on the deep cycle & Optima clarified everything I was confused about. I will go with the traditional 51-R battery. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Only reason I got an optima was because I had a fatty system in my car.